xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Gun Control  (Read 1050 times)

TeonHarasymiv

• Archived User
Gun Control
« on: March 07, 2005, 05:38:00 PM »

Well put! And thanks for moving the thread.

I would just like to say that I am not going to be replying anymore. I have my views, others have their's, and neither side will convince the others.

But I still say this:

The attitude that if everyone can own a gun (a weapon designed soley for dealing death quickly and easily) society is somehow a safer place!?! That makes no sence to me what so ever!

And I would like to see some evidence (ANY evidence) that backs up that attitude. Something other than "but its my right!".

-Teon

pb2themax

• Archived User
Gun Control
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 10:43:00 PM »

I'm a hunter, and am totally Pro Gun. There's lots that could be said, but all I'm goint to say is the fact that in every US state where they have legalized concealed weapons the crime rate has gone way down.

The unProfessional

• Archived User
Gun Control
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 11:28:00 PM »

I love to fire assault rifles and any high-powered rifle for that matter.  Hand-guns, on the other hand, I find completely unnecessary for the average American to own.

LenteSubigo

• Archived User
Gun Control
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 12:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(enderandrew @ Mar 7 2005, 04:16 PM)
I'm moving this debate out of the Xenon forums into an area where it belongs.

Spency234

• Archived User
Gun Control
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 12:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(enderandrew @ Mar 7 2005, 04:16 PM)
I'm moving this debate out of the Xenon forums into an area where it belongs.

LenteSubigo

• Archived User
Gun Control
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 01:29:00 AM »

One thing I can't stand is when people try to attack people with something they didn't say.

I nor any reasonable person opposed to gun control has ever said that more people owning guns will result in less gun deaths.

All that we are saying is that guns that are owned for the sole purpose of defence, hunting, or hobby are not the guns that kill people.  The guns that kill people are the guns owned by gangs, criminals, and cops.  Implementing gun control will not prevent gangs and criminals from getting guns.  The number of unjustified (nondefence), deaths caused by guns owned for defence, hobby, or hunting is insignificant.

TeonHarasymiv

• Archived User
Gun Control
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 06:52:00 AM »

The number of unjustified (nondefence), deaths caused by guns owned for defence, hobby, or hunting is insignificant.

Just curious, how can you say that? Do you have any proof, or are you just assuming?

Wong Hung Lo

• Archived User
Gun Control
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 08:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(Spency234 @ Mar 8 2005, 01:21 AM)
But there really is no reason for anybody to have a handgun, other then it can be consealed easily and hidden so you can take it into public places without causing attention.

fishlord

• Archived User
Gun Control
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 10:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(Wong Hung Lo @ Mar 8 2005, 03:38 PM)
I hunt with my handguns. Even my carry gun (S&W 357 Mag) can drop a deer easy.  As for being concealed easily. I doubt my 44 Mag Smith & Wesson Performance Center Model 629 HUNTER PLUS would be easy to conceal. I've got 2 deer with it.  And let me tell you. It knocked their asses down. biggrin.gif

fishlord

• Archived User
Gun Control
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 10:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(LenteSubigo @ Mar 8 2005, 07:32 AM)

pepsik

• Archived User
Gun Control
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2005, 10:37:00 AM »

"guns dont kill people, people kill people" - unknown

This statement has been the truth that binds this issue. Things like hollow point bullets and semi automatic high caliber weapons need to be restricted, but I believe every home in america should have a shotgun locked in a cabinet somewhere inside the home. There is nothing like a buck shot to make a burglar shit his pants.

Illegal weapons are the weapons that tend to appear in crimes, most stolen weapons will be used in a crime, sold to some other criminal and used in a different crime. When the unlucky sap that purchased the weapon from the umpteenth owner gets caught with it, he gets charged with all the murders they can trace to that particular gun.

Your probably safer with a gun in your home than you are without one, well atleast relatively speaking, if you live in the backwoods somewhere then you'll probably just shoot yourself in the foot while drinking. The point I was trying to make while the coffee kicked in is that the people behind the gun are always to blame not the gun.

damam

• Archived User
Gun Control
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2005, 11:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(Dr. John Lott Jr. @  Univ. of Chicago School of Law )
The national five day waiting period under the Brady Bill had no impact on murder or robbery, but slightly increased rape and aggravated assault rates by a few percent. For these two crime categories, the major effect was to delay law-abiding citizens from getting a gun for protection. The risks were greatest for crimes against women.

QUOTE(U.S. Dept. of Justice @  Law Enforcement Assistance Administration - Rape Victimization in 26 American Cities, 1979 )
Of the 250,000,000 annual self-defense cases using guns, more than 7.7% are by women defending themselves against sexual abuse.

QUOTE(Gary Kleck @  Criminologist, Florida State Univ)
Guns prevent an estimated 2.5 million crimes a year, or 6,849 per day.
Every day, 550 rapes, 1,100 murders, and 5,200 other violent crimes per day are prevented just by showing a handgun. In less than 0.9% of the time is the gun ever actually ever fired.

QUOTE(Fall 1995 @  Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology )
Every year, people in the United States use a gun to defend themselves against criminals an estimated 2,500,000 times- more than 6,500 people a day, or once every 13 seconds.

QUOTE(John Lott @  David Mustard: This study involved county level crime statistics from all 3,054 counties in the US)
When citizens are allowed to carry concealed weapons:
* Murder rates drop 8%
* Rape rates fall 5%
* Aggravated assaults drop 7%
TYPE OF CRIME: HOW MUCH HIGHER IN RESTRICTIVE STATES
Violent Crime ……………………81% higher
Murder ………………………….. 86% higher
Rape …………………………… 25% higher
Assault…………………………… 82% higher
Robbery………………………….. 105% higher
Auto Theft……………………….. 60% higher

And last but not least
QUOTE(FBI Uniform Crime Statistics @  1994 )
Two-thirds of the people that die each year from gunfire are criminals shooting other criminals.

And i can go on and on and on, these are only the ones that directly effect me.  But, I will stop by saying this: their is a reason why gun control people stop after simply quoting raw deaths caused by firearm data and then compare it to traditionally peaceful cultures like Canada.  They know that if they delve to deep they well be exposed.

@LenteSubigo - it should also be mentioned that 1998 was one of the worst years for homicides that we have ever had (thats why moore used 1998 stats in his film), and that that number also includes justifiable homicides (ie. self defense).

Wong Hung Lo

• Archived User
Gun Control
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2005, 12:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(fishlord @ Mar 8 2005, 12:38 PM)
Yes... and you COULD hunt with a swiss army knife taped to a stick.  However all that hunting with a pistol ensures is the prolonged suffering of what you are hunting due to the lower accuracy of that firearm.

gcskate27

• Archived User
Gun Control
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2005, 12:25:00 PM »

I hit that SOB in the 1st vertabra where the head and neck join

you truly are a man's man...

Wong Hung Lo

• Archived User
Gun Control
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2005, 12:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(Spency234 @ Mar 8 2005, 01:53 PM)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9