xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: The Dollar Is Plunging To New Depths...  (Read 245 times)

FektionFekler

• Archived User
The Dollar Is Plunging To New Depths...
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2004, 02:57:00 PM »

... Actually it is third world.

gronne

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2004, 04:19:00 PM »

QUOTE (FektionFekler @ Dec 5 2004, 12:00 AM)

As far as I'm concerned we don't "really" count the world in first, second and third anymore. During the cold war USA, Europe and Australia were the first world, USSR the second world, and most other nations were the third world. Nowadays we most often use well developed countries WDC and least developed countries LDC. China is definitely an LDC, but strongly going up. All this due to the extremely cheap production, which sounds strange for a communist country. China's communism, much like the soviet communism is very cynical. Every year the kill approximately 5,000 in death penalty.

Instead of trying to convince you China will be the next superpower, let's just say wait and see.

The unProfessional

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2004, 04:49:00 PM »

which sounds strange for a communist country

Typically, yeah, but China is more of a hybrid.  They embrace a free market... so they basically get the benefits of capitalism.

gcskate27

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2004, 05:03:00 PM »

QUOTE (FektionFekler @ Dec 4 2004, 05:00 PM)

well not to nit-pick but

QUOTE (Merriam Webster)
second world
Function: noun
Usage: often capitalized S&W
Etymology: after third world
: the Communist nations as a political and economic bloc

QUOTE (Wikipedia)
Second World refers to nations within the Soviet Union's sphere of influence, e.g. Warsaw Pact countries. Besides the Soviet Union proper, most of Eastern Europe was run by satellite governments working closely with Moscow. This term may or may not also refer to Communist countries whose leadership were at odds with Moscow, e.g. China and Yugoslavia.

QUOTE (Wikipedia (later))
With the 1991 collapse of the Soviet Union, the term Second World largely fell out of use — though Third World remains popular.

i always took it to be communist nations, so i included china... but as it is now its either or... some people consider communist nations to be second world, and others think there is no such thing anymore, only first and third.... im the former, youre the latter (possibly)...

FektionFekler

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2004, 09:48:00 PM »

Don't post anymore.

pegasys

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2004, 10:03:00 PM »

If you don't have something to contribute please don't post at all.  With the econominc polocies put forth by our briliant leader I can't imagin how our economy could suffer.  I mean spend as much as you can and take in less while creating a huge debt. what could go wrong.

FektionFekler

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2004, 10:14:00 PM »

My thoughts exactly, so instead of posting bullshit, just don't post. Thanks for the backup there pegasys.

pegasys

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2004, 10:34:00 PM »

I can't really figure out your position .  in one topic you are calling me an idiot and in the next you thank me for backing me up.  I don't understand?

FektionFekler

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2004, 10:40:00 PM »

Because you are weak, and your mind is diseased.

gcskate27

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2004, 12:43:00 AM »

sigh, another of these people in the political forum...

Intensecure

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2004, 08:23:00 AM »

QUOTE (The unProfessional @ Dec 5 2004, 01:52 AM)

pedro

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2004, 08:45:00 AM »

still a bit unclear as to what you did to make thie 10,000 in a day.
I probably wouldnt try it, but It would be nice to know what you did.
you traded US dollars for asian dollars, an dhten when the dollar fell and was worth less you traded back for US dollars?
am I reading what you said correctly?
sounds simple enough.

so the basics of it are this:
if a foreign dollar is worth one tenth that of an american dollar (that is ten of theirs to one of ours) and you exchange, then the next day the american dollar falls and is worth only five times their dollar, you exchange back to USD and have doubled your money.
(all my numbers are hypothetical of course)

so for ex
if 1 USD = 10 something or other
then 1 USD dropps to 1USD = 5 something or other.
you have ten of that other currence and can now exchange it for 2 USD which is double what you had.

sounds like a plan

what countries currency is worth investing in?

gronne

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2004, 09:31:00 AM »

QUOTE (Intensecure @ Dec 5 2004, 05:26 PM)
And @gronne
We can only hope they won't force their sick communism on other countries.
- they abandoned their experiment a while ago - pure capitalism, for all it's good and bad is the order of the day now.

Intensecure

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2004, 10:46:00 PM »

QUOTE (pedro @ Dec 5 2004, 05:48 PM)
you traded US dollars for asian dollars, an dhten when the dollar fell and was worth less you traded back for US dollars?
am I reading what you said correctly?
sounds simple enough.

what countries currency is worth investing in?

Sort of.
Actually, all my capital is in UK pounds sterling.
The Malaysian Dollar/Ringgit is pegged artificially to the US dollar, so a depreciating US dollar gets an artificially higher pound rate. i.e. Pound>Ringgit was 6.8 a few weeks ago, and today is 7.38.
I sell pounds and convert to Ringgit. In pretty big chunks wink.gif
Then when there is movement (again, much more movement recently after recent comments by John Snow - Mr. We Won't Prop Up Our US Dollar!), I sell Ringgit to pounds again.
Currently I am stockpiling Ringgit as it is undervalued by about 10%, so when the Malaysian govt repegs against the US dollar - which it will have to do as it is damaging to the economy at present, then I will buy pounds at 10% less.
I am not too good at explaining this, I know - sorry wink.gif but the basics hold true - you need a lot of money to make a little money, and the risks are high - it just happens to be working for me at the moment due to my current circumstances i.e. living in Malaysia and having a few pounds/lines of credit in pounds.
I am watching carefully the Chinese Renminbi as it will also have to be revalued and could make a huge difference to the Renminbi/Dollar rate, and indeed the US economy.

And @gronne - I agree with almost all yr comments. Unfortunately money is amoral in this case, and yes that embarrasses me to admit it. Both China and the US have serious issues to address with respect to workers rights and human decency/wages/use of prison labour - MS uses prisoners in Seattle to package software grr.gif and Chinese workers die daily due to poverty and poor conditions. I don't want to start an ethics discussion, but assure you that I respect and agree with yr position, esp as I believe you are Northern European or Scandanavian? An area of the world with higher standards that other countries should be more diligent in emulating.

FektionFekler

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2004, 10:54:00 PM »

QUOTE (Intensecure @ Dec 6 2004, 07:49 AM)
Chinese workers die daily due to poverty and poor conditions.

Ah the beauty of communism.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7