xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Assault Weapons Ban Is Over.  (Read 735 times)

nemt

• Archived User
Assault Weapons Ban Is Over.
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2004, 03:45:00 PM »

No criminal who's afraid and unsure about using an assault rifle would go through the legal process of buying and registering one.

Maximumbeing

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2004, 03:51:00 PM »

..and if just one person is the victim of violent crime, because he or she couldn't exercise the fundamental freedoms granted by the bill of rights, the ban is proven wrong.

I can see it now Nemt, "If only little Tim had had his assualt rifle handy, then he never would have been victim to the mugging that would end his life...Damn you ban on assualt weapons...you killed Tim!"

Nobody is gonna die because they don't have their AK handy, anyone that would own an AK probably owns a much more domestic hand gun.

Either way, if a criminal broke into your house with a hand gun, or a knife, and you blew them away with an assualt rifle, you'd be going straight to jail.

You have to use equal force or else it's murder and not self defense.

gcskate27

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2004, 03:53:00 PM »

wink.gif

gronne

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2004, 03:54:00 PM »

If more than eleven thousand people are getting killed in the USA, and no other country is ANYWHERE near that amount, something's got to be the reason. I'm afraid a lot of the problems with violence in USA is due to all your action films.

Maybe it affects you more than other nations, as the films, most of the time, are about americans. And then by allowing everybody to legally own guns, because it's their RIGHT(sick right) to do so, will definitely increase the deadly violence. Before the flaming: I'M NOT AGAINST VIOLENT FILMS. FILMS DON'T SHOOT PEOPLE, THEY INSPIRE. We obviously watch american films here also, and we have increased violence here as well.

Strange thing(or not) is that MANY of the kids that are in a violent nature, watch films and speak english to their friends here in Sweden. When I walk down the streets in Gothenburg a lot of kids speak english to eachother, and act "cool". To me that's enough of a proof that films affect people. This last week, supporters of two different teams were watching a film about soccer hooligans in a theatre, and before it ended there was a huge fight between them. It's rediculous to say that films don't inspire people to act violent. Every director out there saying it's not the films that make people violent, are lying to themselves. I strongly used to defend the films myself, but eventually it got impossible for me to deny the facts.

Some people will see the violence for what it is, and some will see it as a way to gain respect. I can't remember any director succesful in making violence not inspiring. You can give me any example where they do show it as negative, and I bet it's still destructive. I LOVE films, they're my biggest hobby. I often watch violent films, and nowadays I look at it from a different view, but as a kid I ALWAYS got inspired. Now I never did anything serious, but I surely wanted to. I always wanted to, and did, sabotage things in my school and start fights, and I'm certain it was because of the films I watched, no doubt.

This might have seemed very off-topic. But it's my true belief, and giving access to guns for everyone will DEFINITELY increase the problems. It's a shame for democracy that you can give people more access to violence.

Maximumbeing

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2004, 03:58:00 PM »

No big deal, we aren't a real democracy anyway.

Films and violent TV shows definately inspire people, but we'd be killing the first amendment way too much to stop that.

The unProfessional

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2004, 04:00:00 PM »

I'll forever stand by my opinion that movies don't instill violence in people.  The weak minded may gather ideas from films, but they won't create the hatred behind the murders.

When comparing crime and murder rates, be sure to factor in the per capita figures.  You can't compare the US's numbers directly to Luxembourg.  With that being said, yes the US' rates are still relatively high.

Maximumbeing

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2004, 04:03:00 PM »

My concession: It doesn't "inspire" so to speak, but it desensitizes.

The more you see, the less it bothers you, it follows the basic idea of tolerance.

nemt

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2004, 04:03:00 PM »

How about Switzerland, a nation of compulsory rifle ownership?  One of the lowest crime rates in the world.  Sorry, the argument of legal gun ownership inherently creating crime is bunk.

Maximumbeing

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2004, 04:03:00 PM »

Switzerland so doesn't count.

Have you ever been there?

It's a fairy tale land.

The unProfessional

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2004, 04:04:00 PM »

WHen I watch people getting wasted in movies, I love it.  But if I see something even remotely real (like those sick fucks passing morbid death movies around on the net), I get affected heavily.  After growing up on doom and shit, watching R-rated shoot-em-ups since I was 7, and the like, I still have no difficulty differentiating... and I do actually get physical, involuntary responses when I see something real.  But damn, do I love to shoot... just no live targets.

gronne

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2004, 04:37:00 PM »

Well I have used the numbers several times and I have used them from Michael Moore, so they are probably used in strange way, but they can't be that incredibly wrong. He compared to nations like Germany and Japan, Germany had about 80 death shootings/year, and Japan had about 40/year, and Japan has 130 million inhabitants, so you can compare that to USA's 11000 deaths with 270 million inhabitants.

As much as it hurts me to tell it, I really should. I was impressed when I heard of the first school shootings in USA. As I was a "gang" leader when I was twelve, I thought it was really cool. I started discussing it with a former friend, how we should do the same thing. I was really up in my mind about it. I made drawings of what it should look like. I probably never would dare to take real action. I gave up the thoughts as I was afraid of the consequence, I never had the balls to do it, luckily. Today I'm a strict believer in non-violence. I often wonder how I could think like that as a kid, but I never understand it. All I know is that I spent most of my time watching Van Damme and other violent films. I know how much they inspired me, in a purely negative manner. And I GOT a weak mind from watching films all day. I don't have those kinds of peoblems at all today. I haven't been in a fight for about three years, about the same time I made a "u-turn" and grew up.

Colonel32

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2004, 09:50:00 PM »

QUOTE (K98 @ Sep 17 2004, 05:45 AM)
This ban was a joke when it came out and finally it ends. All it did was change the looks of rifles not the operation. I am also a big fan of guns owning 50 between my dad and I. That doesnt make us bad people it's just that we have different interests than others. Also it makes me mad how people think that after this ban full auto weapons are available to everyone. Maybe you people should look up the govts definition of an assault weapon before talking.

Helium you need to especially read that law and get your facts straight. I could mess a person up 10 times worse with a $50 exmilitary bolt action rilfe that fires a bullet twice the size and could pierce any body armour, than with an assault rifle

good post.    i really agree  beerchug.gif

Wong Hung Lo

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2004, 02:39:00 AM »

ohmy.gif  It has begun. 2 kids are on their way to school with 2 millitary grade assault rifles.

user posted image
Looks like some old school militia nuts.

user posted image
I think this is the leader of that militia. He is standing there holding a military grade musket with a bayonet. At least he didn't have one of those widow maker (Kentucky) rifles.

user posted image
What kind of parent lets their child touch a widow maker rifle?  ohmy.gif
It's not a Kentucky since it's has a percussion cap and nipple instead of a flintlock. But it's still a widow maker because you know it's barrel is rifled

Wong Hung Lo

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2004, 03:53:00 AM »

QUOTE (Maximumbeing @ Sep 16 2004, 06:01 PM)
No big deal, we aren't a real democracy anyway.

Films and violent TV shows definately inspire people, but we'd be killing the first amendment way too much to stop that.

I agree with you there. We started as a Constitutional Republic. It keeps the mob rules democracy folks from stepping on the rights of the little guy.

As for the trouble with todays generation in America. All I can say is it's socitetys and the governments fault. When I grew up (long time ago) there were no school shootings and these accidental shootings were rare. Back then, there were fathers around to break their foot off in your ass and you could raise and punish your child in the proper way. Also our music was good and you could still get spanked in school then.

Today you have unwed mothers raising kids with no father figure around to keep the kid strait. You can't punish your kids in the proper way or the government steps in and takes your kids and throws you in prison for child abuse. And the music today if you can call it music is bad for kids. All this hatefull rap and it's message to degrade women, shoot cops and people. I laugh when I see the white kids acting like the rappers they listen to and act like they grew up in the hood. Combine that with no discipline and a kid finding a gun in a home adds up to trouble. Also the odds of them joining a gang and getting in trouble with the law are high.

When I grew up. There were guns in my home and I knew better than to touch them because my father would have broke his foot off in my ass. Back then you could discipline your child and there were more fathers to do it. And kids were taught to have respect for firearms, the law and their elders.

I remember when I was in grade school. I got in trouble and had to go to the principals office. He called my mother and she came up to the school. The principal spanked me with a paddle while my mother watched. Then my mother pulled her paddle out of a bag she brought with her and gave me a beating worse than principal just gave me. Then she said wait till your father gets home. And you can guess what happened when he got home that night.

I'm glad I had good parents and it's taught me how to raise a kid. My better half and I have a grandson that stays with us for a while during the summer and holidays. I don't have to lock up my guns. I even have loaded guns out in the open. He wont touch them because he has been taught to respect firearms and knows better. He also knows I'll break my foot off in his ass if he touches one. He also knows to leave and tell an adult if he's at a friends house and the other kids find and start playing with a gun. When he's a little older I'll teach him everything about firearms so he'll know how to disable a firearm before leaving and telling an adult.

nemt

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2004, 06:45:00 AM »

Whether the ban is on butter knives or rocket launchers, it didn't make it any more difficult for criminals to get the weapons, it only made it more difficult for law abiding citizens.  Legal gun ownsership lowers crime.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11