xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: A Little Bit About Me  (Read 653 times)

jesusphreak

• Archived User
A Little Bit About Me
« Reply #150 on: August 01, 2004, 08:02:00 PM »

This is hilarious. Do you guys realize your arguing on the point that "my book says your wrong".

Neither of you can know who's right, why not just accept your books say something different and accept each other.

To me, it doesn't come down to books. The Bible claims to be the Word of God, and if it is, it carries all the weight of being the Word of God. Truth is, I've seen things in my life over and over that teach me without a doubt that God is real. These things only started happening once I became a Christian. Plus, the Bible is the most archaelogically tested book in the world, and archaelogists still hold it up. Not to mention that, but the prophecies are absolutely incredible. Over and over, the prophets speaking to the detail of cities falling, how nations would fall, exact dates of events, etc, etc....

And it simply see God move in my life let's me know that God is real. I think it's serious when religions that Satan is using are influencing other people. It's not just a book to me. So,....

you seem to be appalled that some of the LDS literature can be taken as racist. Do you feel the same way when you read some of the Christian scripture about women. The whole slaving your daughter thing, that always bothered me.

Would you like to bring that up for me? Do you have a reference?

Colonel32

• Archived User
A Little Bit About Me
« Reply #151 on: August 01, 2004, 09:29:00 PM »

Would you like to bring that up for me? Do you have a reference?

(Exodus 21:7-10) would be a good place to start. I'm sure you know this...

There are thousands of religions Jesusphreak. All of them believe they are right as we've seen in this thread. You said the Christian bible is the word of God, but who decided that... St Paul? Isn't that similiar to what Mohammed did with Islam. I will pray for you, and hope that you will find patience and acceptance for religions other than your own. In the end everyone is praying to the same God, just different interpretations of Him.   beerchug.gif

jesusphreak

• Archived User
A Little Bit About Me
« Reply #152 on: August 01, 2004, 10:37:00 PM »

you seem to be appalled that some of the LDS literature can be taken as racist. Do you feel the same way when you read some of the Christian scripture about women. The whole slaving your daughter thing, that always bothered me.

Maybe you should read the passage as a whole:

7 "If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as menservants do. 8 If she does not please the master who has selected her for himself, [2] he must let her be redeemed. He has no right to sell her to foreigners, because he has broken faith with her. 9 If he selects her for his son, he must grant her the rights of a daughter. 10 If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights. 11 If he does not provide her with these three things, she is to go free, without any payment of money.

Are you not seeing this? The rights that the Hebrews gave to women was above and beyond what any other culture in the world at that time did. Look at all that the man is required to do. He must let her be redeemeed if he does not like her. He must grant her the rights of a daughter if she marries his son. He must not deprive his first wife of material possessions, and if he cannot, she must go free.

And actually, if you look further into it and if you look into other translations. This passage seems to be talking about marriage. KJV: "
8 If she please not her master, who hath betrothed her to himself, then shall he let her be redeemed"

This passage isn't a matter of women slaves. It more than likely is a matter of dowry, and no matter what it is, the fact remains, these rights are way more "liberal" than any other culture of the time period.

I think God was providing for women just as much as he provided for men. If you will look even more into the Law, you will see all kinds of women's rights, which is incredible for the time. It's incredible even for now.

Not to mention, Christ came to make the Law perfect. And he doesn't differentiate between Jew and Gentile, man and woman, slave or free, they are all one in Christ Jesus.

For example, Moses gave a law of divorce.

As God said in Malachi, "I hate divorce".

In Matthew we read, "Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning."

So, these laws set forward to the Hebrew people were not the perfect and exact way God wanted us to live. He permitted us to live this way due to the sinful nature, and his grace was at work the entire time, forgiving us for our sinful nature.

Now that Christ has come, and he has died to forgive us of our sinful nature, we no longer live under the old law that could never be perfect.

The law was only a way that the Hebrews should live under the current system of things. They had not yet had God come down and die in order to break the power of sin. They lived under sin, but God gave them grace, and God forgave them.

But anway, I digress.

If as you say, all of the religions of the world are different interpretations of the same God, then something is going on here.

Christ says, "I am the way and the truth and the life, no one comes through the Father except through me".

Muhammad commanded the Christians and Jews be killed if they did not convert.
Muhammad said that he was God's most important prophet and those who did not live a life that had more good than bad, then the person would go to hell.

Buddha said that there was no such things as sin (and for that matter no such thing as God) and the way to oneness was through leaving desires (and suffering behind).

Hinduism claims so many things it isn't even funny. Gandhi said, "God is truth." This chair I'm sitting in is true, is it God?

No Colonel, what you are saying cannot be true. The nature of things tells us that there is an on and off, a right and a wrong.

You only have a few options here. If more than one of these men was telling the truth about all that happened, then God is totally contradictory. He completely changes his ways. We can trust him no more than any normal person. Do you want that to be your God?

If these men did not receive messages from God, as they claimed, then they were complete liars; why should we follow anything that they say?

No, but the nature of things tells us that there is someone that exists beyond us. All of these religions cannot be right. They cannot be all telling the truth, or as I've said, God is a complete liar.

But if God is not a complete liar, and at one time through history he has spoken through one man or another, then there is a truth, there is a right way to him.

Here is something to think about. Christianity is the only religion in which God reaches out to people to provide a way to him.

Think about it. In Christianity, the only way that you will get to heaven is by accepting what God has done for you: died for your sins. There's nothing you can do to earn your way to heaven.

But think about this:

Islam: you must have more good deeds than bad
Mormonism: you may get to the first level of heaven, but to get to any of the others, you must have good works
Buddhism: you must seek your own way to Nirvana
Judaism: again, you must be a "good" person

It seems more likely to me, that there isn't one God that we are all misconstruing or are telling lies about or that he's telling lies about himself.

It seems to me that there is one God, one living God, who has provided a way to for us to him through his death. And it seems to me that there is one liar, one Satan, who truly is "the father of lies", and he is the one propagating all of these other religions.

You can't debate it. Christianity's way of salvation is unique.

Religion is man making his way to God. Christianity is God making his way to man.

melon

• Archived User
A Little Bit About Me
« Reply #153 on: August 02, 2004, 02:21:00 AM »

You are still avoiding this question.

Why is christianity beter than islam whaen you both worship the same god, a lot of the same religous figures such as Abraham, even Jesus is worshiped by both!

thomes08

• Archived User
A Little Bit About Me
« Reply #154 on: August 02, 2004, 09:06:00 AM »

there is no logical answer

Baner

• Archived User
A Little Bit About Me
« Reply #155 on: August 02, 2004, 09:51:00 AM »

Is it not how you worship, rather than what?

Mr. Chips

• Archived User
A Little Bit About Me
« Reply #156 on: August 02, 2004, 12:13:00 PM »

Why is christianity beter than islam whaen you both worship the same god, a lot of the same religous figures such as Abraham, even Jesus is worshiped by both!

muslims worship Jesus?

Colonel32

• Archived User
A Little Bit About Me
« Reply #157 on: August 02, 2004, 01:53:00 PM »

QUOTE (Mr. Chips @ Aug 2 2004, 08:16 PM)
muslims worship Jesus?

Well they worship God. Jesus was one of their prophets. It's very similiar in it's roots though.

Satan = Dajjal or Shaitan

Adam and Eve, Moses and the children of Israel are all in the Qu'ran

The largest difference is that the Islam faith does not follow the holy trinity or Paul's version of how Christos died.

melon

• Archived User
A Little Bit About Me
« Reply #158 on: August 02, 2004, 01:58:00 PM »

they see him as a prophet rather than the sun of god, but in the bible one of the books, i think luke consistently describes him as a prophet and doesnt mention he is the son of god.

it was the same religion as christianity untill Abraham had his two sons, job and isaac, i know there spelt wrong but..
muslims followed the teachings of one son and christians the teaching of the other.

nemt

• Archived User
A Little Bit About Me
« Reply #159 on: August 02, 2004, 02:36:00 PM »

QUOTE (melon @ Aug 2 2004, 06:01 PM)
they see him as a prophet rather than the sun of god, but in the bible one of the books, i think luke consistently describes him as a prophet and doesnt mention he is the son of god.

it was the same religion as christianity untill Abraham had his two sons, job and isaac, i know there spelt wrong but..
muslims followed the teachings of one son and christians the teaching of the other.

You are completely incorrect, about both the origins of islam, and the gospels' depiction of jesus.

Mr. Chips

• Archived User
A Little Bit About Me
« Reply #160 on: August 02, 2004, 06:53:00 PM »

wink.gif

maybe he could have tried to be polite and helpful, though...

in the gospel, Jesus says "I am the son of God" many times.  Including Luke.

The difference between a prophet and a God is huge.

just because he mispelt Jacob and Isaac doesn't make someone a complete idiot, after all he apologized.

melon

• Archived User
A Little Bit About Me
« Reply #161 on: August 03, 2004, 05:08:00 AM »

http://magma.nationa...20011201.6.html

there you go nemt, proof muslims where the same religion untill Abraham and his son, then they branched off.

Colonel32

• Archived User
A Little Bit About Me
« Reply #162 on: August 07, 2004, 12:58:00 AM »

Basically, there was Judaism, and from Judaism came Christianity, and from a meld of Judaism and Christianity came Islam....

And all three are identified as what by theologists?

Abrahamic religions. wink.gif
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]