xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Possibly Getting A Guitar..  (Read 215 times)

CJLee89

• Archived User
Possibly Getting A Guitar..
« on: October 07, 2007, 05:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(sicknasty413 @ Oct 7 2007, 06:58 PM) View Post

Hello,

My birthday is coming up and my father is questioning what he should get me. Of course, I don't really wanna be a douche and be like, get me this or get me that, but he's brought up getting me a[n electric] guitar a few times.

Now personally, I think a guitar would be fun. I've never really played one before and I don't plan on taking any kind of lessons.

So yeah, I'm a total beginner. Any recommendations? Brand? Etc?

I'd like a decent one. I don't want some shitty one, nor do I have the money for some amazing one. Idk how much money my father is lookin' to spend, so keep it low I guess.

I've only played one instrument in my life, and that was the trumpet. lol. I played it in 5th grade (I'm a junior now) and quit before 6th grade. I learned really fast and became 1st seat trumpet in the band, winning 3 awards at the end of the year. Why I quit.. I'm not so sure. I guess I felt as if I accomplished all I needed to accomplish.

So yeah, any recommendations would be cool.

P.S. I'm pretty nasty at Guitar Hero 2. lmao. I know it's not related at all... but I mean come on.. I can beat "The Light That Blinds" on expert biggrin.gif (okay.. maybe that's not really anything to brag about either  laugh.gif )

dude you should have kept playing the trumpet. i have played since 5th grade and am now a senior in high school and in the marching band.

anyway, Fender are good guitars. also, Ibanez is decent instrument.

blame canada

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 08:43:00 AM »

I have a fender and an epiphone (biggest POS I've played), and love the fender. GOod quality and you can replace the pickups with some real nice ones if ya want. IDK, just my personal preference happy.gif

Also make sure to swap your strings out every once in a while (yea you probably already know this lol), because they tend to wear and go out of tune easily and are harder to play with. My epiphone POS like I said earlier, would eat through sets of strings so it's now content in the back of my closet tongue.gif

CJLee89

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(blame canada @ Oct 8 2007, 11:19 AM) View Post

I have a fender and an epiphone (biggest POS I've played), and love the fender. GOod quality and you can replace the pickups with some real nice ones if ya want. IDK, just my personal preference happy.gif

Also make sure to swap your strings out every once in a while (yea you probably already know this lol), because they tend to wear and go out of tune easily and are harder to play with. My epiphone POS like I said earlier, would eat through sets of strings so it's now content in the back of my closet tongue.gif

wiping your strings down with a cloth after playing will help improve string life. it gets all the oils and skin cells from your fingers off of them.

deadparrot

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 08:20:00 AM »

Take a look at ESP.  You can get a really nice guitar for ~$200.  I personally play an EX-50 and it's great!

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 07:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(blame canada @ Oct 8 2007, 10:19 AM) View Post

really depends on the guitar, epiphones can be great or shit, fenders are all around good guitars

w2kj

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 04:42:00 AM »

Since you quit playing an instrument after a (school)year....why then would parent buy a possibly expensive electric guitar for you?  With your published track record....why don't you start with a less expensive brand; if you really dig it....*buy (*read as "with your own money.") a good guitar.

As a parent....I've been that route.  I bought a guitar (a DiArmond early Les Paul copy.  Very sweet guitar.) for my son when he was 16....he's 22 now, it sit's on the stand gathering dust.  He started to learn....but became less enchanted with really learning how to play well.  So he quit.

Anyway....brand name specific isn't as important as how well it feels in your hands; and how it sounds to you. wink.gif