xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Need Help Making Freebird Solo On Electric Guitar Sound Proper  (Read 132 times)

anon123

• Archived User

Haha I don't know if anyone here can help me with this but I figure I might as well try...

I am a guitar player.  Long story short, I need to play the freebird solo by lynyrd skynyrd and make it sound proper pretty fast.  I know the first thing I need is a slide.  My first question is, what slide would be best for this song?  I think a chrome or maybe bronze would be best, but I am really not sure.  Also, I think that the amp they use in the real song has an effect on their sound.  I am pretty sure they used some kind of peavey stack.  What I am wondering is, would getting some kind of effects processor that can simulate the peavey be good enough?  A third question related to that second question, are there any effects that they use in the song outside of distortion?  And what kind of distortion is it they use exactly?  I am hoping there is an effects processor out there that can simulate the amp and effects they use all in one for me.

My current setup: Standard (Mexican) Fat Strat w/ Fender Frontman 25R (25 watts)

Thanks for your help.

trey85stang

• Archived User
Need Help Making Freebird Solo On Electric Guitar Sound Proper
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(anon123 @ Mar 12 2007, 06:04 AM) View Post

Haha I don't know if anyone here can help me with this but I figure I might as well try...

I am a guitar player.  Long story short, I need to play the freebird solo by lynyrd skynyrd and make it sound proper pretty fast.  I know the first thing I need is a slide.  My first question is, what slide would be best for this song?  I think a chrome or maybe bronze would be best, but I am really not sure.  Also, I think that the amp they use in the real song has an effect on their sound.  I am pretty sure they used some kind of peavey stack.  What I am wondering is, would getting some kind of effects processor that can simulate the peavey be good enough?  A third question related to that second question, are there any effects that they use in the song outside of distortion?  And what kind of distortion is it they use exactly?  I am hoping there is an effects processor out there that can simulate the amp and effects they use all in one for me.

My current setup: Standard (Mexican) Fat Strat w/ Fender Frontman 25R (25 watts)

Thanks for your help.

Im pretty sure they used a delay with a really short depth,  probably arround 100ms or so on the slide part.  Other then a slight overdrive there were probably no other effects on any of the guitars.  I would go for a glass slide,  because Im personally more comfortable with them,  but odds are they used a regular metal slide. They did use peavy combo amps,  but I would go looking for an old peavy combo just to try and nail their tone.  There are better amps that can get you close.