xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Literature of the Week  (Read 480 times)

throwingks

• Archived User
Literature of the Week
« on: November 18, 2006, 04:00:00 AM »

I think this is a wonderful idea.

People should not be scared to get involved. I vote for Haiku for week 1. Something as simple as a Haiku takes 10 seconds to write. It doesn't require any prep time, and gets the creative juices flowing.

In case someone doesn't know, a haiku, is a minimalist poem. The only structure, more of a guideline, is to use 17 syllables or less, and usually 2 or 3 sentences. As it is art, you can make it however you want. Some examples can be found here:
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=563598
Or a quick search off google also.

throwingks

• Archived User
Literature of the Week
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 02:53:00 PM »

Maybe we should do a Lit of the Month? 3 weeks of submissions, and 1 week of voting. The 1st - 21st for entries and 22nd till end for voting.

Just until we get some momentum.

Modderxtrordanare

• Archived User
Literature of the Week
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 09:05:00 PM »

I just had an idea for the second LOTW/M.

Shadow writing.  We did it in English, we were given a passage of writing (was a poem) and we had to re-write it to our experiences and what-not and follow their technique of writing.  If I can find the paper I did, I will post the original poem and then mine.

throwingks

• Archived User
Literature of the Week
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 08:37:00 AM »

I have never done that. I would try it.

I was also thinking we could try speed writing. With no edits.

Something like a 2 minute contest. We would have to plan ahead and have everyone know what time to be online and expect it. Then the OP would give the rules and close out entries after 2 minutes. Voting could take place whenever. The OP could not participate though. I thought of it, I could do it. But, I would want to be in the next one if it goes well.

Modderxtrordanare

• Archived User
Literature of the Week
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 10:28:00 PM »

I lost my binder with my English work in it, but when I find it, I will post it.

throwingks

• Archived User
Literature of the Week
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 04:12:00 PM »

I had another idea. What about a short story that has to end with the same sentence or punch line.
I.E. The Aristocrats. http://en.wikipedia....stocrats_(joke)
The whole fun is the journey to get there.

lostboyz

• Archived User
Literature of the Week
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 01:58:00 AM »

dunno but a multi-media thing would be cool, teams someone write something then make an image or vice versa, dosent even have to be teams

metaldevil

• Archived User
Literature of the Week
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 05:44:00 AM »

It's time to get the third LOTW up and running! happy.gif Any suggestions or preferences from the ones listed earlier in the thread?

throwingks

• Archived User
Literature of the Week
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 11:48:00 AM »

I like lostboyz idea. We would have to get people to commit from both the Graphics and Literature forums before we can get that rolling though.

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
Literature of the Week
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 02:50:00 PM »

Or something along those ^ same lines. You post up an image and we see who can come up with the best caption, or explanation/backstory of what is going on.

metaldevil

• Archived User
Literature of the Week
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »

We have a few ideas we haven't used like Mx's shadow writing and tks' Aristocrats. We also have tons of general subjects to write about like comedy, horror and love. Tonight (after midnight probably), a new LOTW starts! Suggestions?

On a different note, I'll amend the first post of this thread each time we start a LOTW with its link. It'll be an easy way to keep tabs on previous LOTWs versus going back several pages of topics. wink.gif

throwingks

• Archived User
Literature of the Week
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »

Man, I totally snarfed this one. I had planned to make a comic strip type thing for this weeks but I ran out of time.

Modderxtrordanare

• Archived User
Literature of the Week
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »

If we do a shadow writing thing for LOTW 4 I have a good base for everyone to shadow off of.  smile.gif

EDIT: Metal, PM me if you're interested in running a shadow writing one, and I'll type up the base and PM it back to you.

throwingks

• Archived User
Literature of the Week
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 10:39:00 PM »

I like the idea. That isn't a bad idea for a LOTW. A comic strip template that we have to fill in.

Maybe in the Graphics section you could do a contest for a comic template and the winner is used for the next LOTW.

metaldevil

• Archived User
Literature of the Week
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 06:14:00 AM »

Yes, yes, I should hit up the GFX guys for those comic templates. I'll do it later today.

Ok, I set up the contest in the GFX. http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=578646

Feel free to check it out and give it a shot if you guys like. smile.gif
Pages: [1] 2