xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Lg 52dc2d Problem  (Read 907 times)

yaazz

• Archived User
Lg 52dc2d Problem
« on: October 17, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »

Hey guys I have an LG 52DC2D and today it started randomly turning off right after pressing power
It is a DLP and it seems like the light is attempting to come on, and tries several times, then fails with a solid red light in the temperature LED

Does this mean I need a new lamp? I don't want to buy one and then find out that something else is wrong with my tv and I should have just bought a new one sad.gif

thanks in advance for the help

yaazz

• Archived User
Lg 52dc2d Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 07:31:00 AM »

LG 52DC2D-UC is the full modelname  

Also, I should have mentioned but I had already checked the fans before writing this. There is one fan directly in front of the lamp and one in front of some random electronics behind another panel, and both appear to be working great.

I have not taken the lamp out, but AFAIK, DLP were supposed to get dim over time, and the TV still looked great when it would turn on.
The tv, in addition to the temperature light mentioned above in my previous post, also has a lamp led that is supposed to indicate when your lamp starts going bad. This led has never flashed since the tv has stopped working, nor has it ever lit up in the 2.5 years I have owned this TV

What happened was I was playing some PS3, and looked away from the tv for a second, and noticed the TV had turned off. I thought "thats weird, hopefully the bulb didn't blow up!". But I turned the tv back on and it worked fine.  
I thought that it was strange, but kept using it for quite a while after this and there were no problems.
After turning the TV off, leaving the house for several hours to go run some errands, I came back, turned the tv back on, and continued playing Uncharted 2.  After about 10 minutes, the TV turned off again. This time it would not turn back on and flashed a solid temperature light  
According to the user manual, the temperature led can tell you three things:

Orange LED: TV overheating, check the ports to see if they are blocked
blinking red led: Projection tv shuts down, check your cooling fan.
Red LED: The projection tv shuts down due to overheating  

I dont know if you would consider the led red or blinking red because it only flashes the light for a split second. I am inclined to believe that it is the RED LED case, since it only flashes once and the fans seem to be working.  

When you turn the TV on with the bulb door open, you can see something that isn't the lamp light up and "sound" like its attempting to start something up. It tries this several times, then fails with the LED mentioned above. I can probably get some video of this if it will help.

I have the user manual in PDF if you think it can help you. I haven't been able to find the service manual sad.gif

yaazz

• Archived User
Lg 52dc2d Problem
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »

Here are some pics of the bulb.... looks fine to me

http://pics.apartmen...zz/IMG_0418.JPG
http://pics.apartmen...zz/IMG_0419.JPG

yaazz

• Archived User
Lg 52dc2d Problem
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »

Nope I just bought a new tv. P.A.B.L.O Found the service manual and I could email it to you if you want

yaazz

• Archived User
Lg 52dc2d Problem
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »

Can't remember exactly what failed, but it was about 400 to fix at the local tv repair shop. I think it might have been the color wheel. Either way, it was definitely not the lamp.  

urdx

• Archived User
Lg 52dc2d Problem
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »

Thanks yaazz,

I just had mine repaired and it was the lamp.  Cost was around $300 for the fix.  Not sure what I could have done it for on my own.