xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Best Hdtv For 360: Plasma, Dlp Or Lcos?  (Read 2006 times)

ConfusedAgain

• Archived User
Best Hdtv For 360: Plasma, Dlp Or Lcos?
« on: October 09, 2006, 10:48:00 AM »

Forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong area...I can't find the home theater/360 thread here.

In the market for my first HDTV...will watch mainly sports, movies but also do a lot of 360 gaming on it. I have heard a lot of tv's have bad video lag issues when it comes to gaming. Anyone have any input on which type of HDTV is best for the best gaming experience?

I am considering a Samsung plasma, the new Sony SXRD (60-inch XBR2) or a Samsung DLP, the 6188 model. The dudes at Gamestop told me DLP is the best for gaming but I'd figure I should ask the good folks here first.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

xboxmodder4life

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 10:42:00 AM »

i've seen the new SXRD from sony the 1080p models and they were very nice, i saw them at the sony style in the prudential center in boston(very nice store) and they looked amazing hooked up to a blue ray player. Which i will say the content wasnt amazing on blueray, but for what it was showing it looked great. IF i were you i would go to www.avsforum.com and ask there they are experts at this stuff.

Sgt_Yates

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 11:36:00 AM »

Welp, I know that plasma is succeptible to "burn-in." Or, it used to be. DLP has no risk of that. I have a Mitsubishi DLP 52" though and it looks flippin nice. Picked it up at Fry's for a grand. My brother also has a Samsung DLP. It looks good man. One reason I went the same route. If you do get a TV/monitor, try to get one that does 480p, 720p, and 1080i. If you really wanna blow alot, get one that does 1080p, but it will not do you any good with the 360. Although other DVD players coming out will support that. PS3 *cough* But, dont waste money on that. (=  Some models of tv/monitors will skip 720 altogether, although the XBOX360 is smart enough to "upscale" the 720 to 1080I. I do not mean it increases the res, only allows you view still view the nice 720p instead of losing some info and viewing at 480p. Happy shopping and movie watching (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pop.gif) ...

This post has been edited by Sgt_Yates: Oct 9 2006, 06:39 PM

xboxmodder4life

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 11:12:00 AM »

1080p will do you good long as the tv excepts 1080p over vga...The new update coming this fall will allow 1080p over vga for upscaling dvd's and games and 1080p over component for just games

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 11:15:00 AM »

Moving to Xbox 360 A/V Chat...

JustDanMI

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 11:44:00 AM »

personally I'd say stay away from Plasma, even though they say they've improved it, I'd still rather stick with a type that never had the problem at all.  I have a 61" DLP myself, and I love it.  I say check what inputs are on the back of the TV, the more the better.  And especially look for an HDMI connection, or better yet 2 HDMI connections.

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 12:54:00 PM »

id like to help, but i got a 400 pound rear projection 65 inch.. which suits its purpose.

i personally dont care for plasmas, especially with the chance of burn in,

also, if you have kids, you can fuxx up a plasma very easily applying pressure to the screen.

Caldor

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 07:04:00 PM »

Using the latest generation examples of each currently available display technology the list in order of picture quality only goes this way using objective test measurements:

1. HDCRT

2. Plasma

3. LcOS

and then onwards

sarcoptic

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 07:39:00 PM »

Just wanted to add the 360 looks amazing on a Sony SXRD 55" LCoS display (KDS-55A2000).  Just FYI all Sony LCoS display will only accept 1080p over HDMI.  Heres to hoping MS comes out magically with an HDMI cable for existing 360s

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 08:27:00 PM »

I cant believe people arent saying over and over again "LCOS!!!!!"

Sorry there is no contest.  Ive got a nice LCD and HDCRT and the LCOS makes them look mickey mouse.

Go to a store and check them out.  And you'll be like  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

*edit, he did say for gaming.  If you want deeper blacks then DLP.  IF you dont care then you want LCOS.

This post has been edited by Heet: Oct 10 2006, 03:29 AM

ConfusedAgain

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 09:23:00 PM »

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I am still unsure of which set I am going to buy.

I really like the Samsung S5073 plasma...but not sure if I want to risk gaming on that sucker. The set does feature "floating pixel" technology which is supposed to reduce risk of burn in, but on AVSFORUM some people have still reported burn in issues. Image retention as well.

I went to see the DLP sets and they don't look as sharp as plasma...although many are saying that 360 performs great on the DLP sets. I am probably more confused now than I have ever been.

I am still considering the new Sony SXRD's...the 60XBR2. Not sure how that does for gaming....I might take my XBOX to the store and hook it up to test it...guess we'll see!

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 10:51:00 AM »

i think plasmas are more apt to burn within the first few hundred or so hours... avsforum is a good place to research all this.

also, it takes a hell of a long time to burn in a set.

i got some burn in playing a certain MMORPG beta a while back, and that was excessive gaming almost to the max, and i can hardly see it anymore.

if you are a halo addict that plays all day everyday, then worry about a perma-hud, but casual gaming shouldnt mess it up.

ChldsPlay

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 05:32:00 PM »

I still prefer the picture quality of my 6 year old CRT than that of anything I've seen of DLP, Plasma, and SXRD at the stores.  None of those seem as crisp on the edges.  Unfortunately, being 6 years old, I have no HDMI, so I'm hoping studios don't start implementing that copyright crap to downscale movies anytime soon.  When I do get another TV, I'll probably go with CRT again, depending on what comes out by then.  It just looks better to me, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper.  Don't want to have to replace bulbs either.

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 05:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(ChldsPlay @ Oct 11 2006, 12:03 AM) View Post

I still prefer the picture quality of my 6 year old CRT than that of anything I've seen of DLP, Plasma, and SXRD at the stores.  None of those seem as crisp on the edges.  Unfortunately, being 6 years old, I have no HDMI, so I'm hoping studios don't start implementing that copyright crap to downscale movies anytime soon.  When I do get another TV, I'll probably go with CRT again, depending on what comes out by then.  It just looks better to me, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper.  Don't want to have to replace bulbs either.

sounds like you may be interested in SED displays when they become available, similar technologhy to CRT but in glorious HD, proposed to be better quality and cheaper than LCD OR Plasma.

Sageice

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 11:17:00 AM »

It all comes down to what you think looks best. I did a lot of research (about a year) before I got my TV, and IMO DLP is the best looking. But it all comes down to each persons opinion. Also after you buy a TV calibrate it or have someone do it for you, TV's are way to bright out of the box, it is to make the TV pop out at you in the store, but is not a natural picture.
Pages: [1] 2 3