xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: F.a.q.: General Av Formats/cables/resolutions Etc.  (Read 891 times)

BadNinja3

• Archived User
F.a.q.: General Av Formats/cables/resolutions Etc.
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2005, 11:09:00 PM »

great guide. gotta give u some props for this one.

WhiteshooZ

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2006, 04:48:00 AM »

First off, let me say your A/V faq is outstanding </buttkissing>

That being said, I have a quick question.  You said
Component - ... This cable supports SDTV, EDTV, and HDTV.

Does that mean that by using the OEM component cables, I can get a 1080i signal to my HD TV from my 360?

I was under the impression that the best signal component could give my TV was 480i.  

I went and ordered a VGA Connector under the assumption that this would give me the best possible picture.  Did I just waste a bunch of money?

Thanks,
Ben

NM: I think I found my answer:

Component: High-definition gaming output of 720p or 1080i

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2006, 07:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(WhiteshooZ @ Jan 21 2006, 06:55 AM) View Post

First off, let me say your A/V faq is outstanding </buttkissing>

That being said, I have a quick question.  You said

Does that mean that by using the OEM component cables, I can get a 1080i signal to my HD TV from my 360?

I was under the impression that the best signal component could give my TV was 480i.  

I went and ordered a VGA Connector under the assumption that this would give me the best possible picture.  Did I just waste a bunch of money?

Thanks,
Ben

NM: I think I found my answer:

Component: High-definition gaming output of 720p or 1080i

I think you're confusing composite (single yellow wire) with component (red green blue wires)

And while VGA is theoretically superior to component, I've heard nothing but complaint from people who have purchased them. You may want to consider sending back that cable you just ordered. read this thread: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=471233

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2006, 08:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(WhiteshooZ @ Jan 21 2006, 11:51 PM) View Post

For some reason I can't get anything better than 480i out of my component (RGB / 3 "RCA's") and it comes in a 4:3 ratio. :boggle:

I'm completely stumped.

I have the 2 audio and 3 video connections hooked up to my TV (Sony KDS-R50XBR1) yet the display still claims the picture is 480i.  

Shame gettting the video to work wasn't as easy as the 5.1 DTS audio. =(

I'll probably keep my VGA connection since the shipping was almost as much as the product.  Plus, I'd like to see if I can take advantage of the 1920 x 1080 resolution the TV has.

I don't believe the 360 RGB cables support anything above 480i 4:3, if it does support anything better you'll be able to change the settings on the system blade in the dashboard (so check there).

the 360 VGA doesn't support 1920x1080

wolrahnaes

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2006, 10:05:00 PM »

Good guide, but one point.
4.1 is generally used to refer to a computer 4.1 setup, which is two front, two rear, and a sub.  4.0 is pretty much only seen in Dolby Pro Logic form, in which case you are right in saying 3 front + 1 rear. (though some could argue it's a 3.1 system since the mono rear channel is limited in frequency range, just like the LFE channel in 5.1 and up setups)

also, on that subject, have you ever actually seen a 3.0 or 3.1 setup as you describe in use?  Personally I've never heard of it.  If you're going to bother with more than two speakers and a sub, you might as well do it right and get at least 5 satellites.

QUOTE(WhiteshooZ @ Jan 21 2006, 11:51 PM) View Post

For some reason I can't get anything better than 480i out of my component (RGB / 3 "RCA's") and it comes in a 4:3 ratio. :boggle:

Just a thought: did you flip the switch on the 360 end of the plug to HDTV mode?

cosism

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2006, 02:18:00 PM »

Wow, very informative.  This read answered most of the questions that I had initially.  Thats said, I still have a question.  I use the HD pack and an optical audio cable.  Will HDMI( which you stated processes the same information in the same way as a component(HD) pack and a optical audio together) eliminate the need for using a optical audio cable?  I am leaning towards yes, but wanted to make sure I interpreted the information correctly.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2006, 02:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(cosism @ Apr 12 2006, 04:25 PM) View Post

Wow, very informative.  This read answered most of the questions that I had initially.  Thats said, I still have a question.  I use the HD pack and an optical audio cable.  Will HDMI( which you stated processes the same information in the same way as a component(HD) pack and a optical audio together) eliminate the need for using a optical audio cable?  I am leaning towards yes, but wanted to make sure I interpreted the information correctly.

well HDMI combines DIGITAL video (like that of the digital portion of DVI) with digital audio. So yes it does eliminate the need for an optical audio cable. Bit it's a totally different signal type from component video.

The problem with the audio cable is that it plugs into your display. and I can't think of any displays (certainly only any with good sound) that offer built in surround sound. In most cases you'll want to use a stand alone surround sound system, at that point having the audio and video in one cable is rather pointless considering you'll need to use another cable anyway (to go from the display back to the surround sound decoder).

cosism

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2006, 04:51:00 PM »

Awesome, that makes a world of sense now.  The HD(component) pack is analog, the HDMI is digital.  That is where my confusion was.  I understood that both the optical and HDMI audio were digital.  I appreciate the clarification.  I have a 5.1 setup made by Yahmaha, which I like.  I am interested in the 55" Sony 3LCD display.  Would you say that, the display in question and the surround sound setup would be good together when using HDMI?  Or is there another set you recommend?  I realize from your posts, the SXRD which utilizes 1080p and may be considered the wave of the future, but do you think the spend is justifiable for the SXRD right NOW, or should I hold out for when the display market is a little more saturated with this technology?  Thanks again for your thorough replies.  beerchug.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2006, 11:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(cosism @ Apr 12 2006, 06:58 PM) View Post

Awesome, that makes a world of sense now.  The HD(component) pack is analog, the HDMI is digital.  That is where my confusion was.  I understood that both the optical and HDMI audio were digital.  I appreciate the clarification.  I have a 5.1 setup made by Yahmaha, which I like.  I am interested in the 55" Sony 3LCD display.  Would you say that, the display in question and the surround sound setup would be good together when using HDMI?  Or is there another set you recommend?  I realize from your posts, the SXRD which utilizes 1080p and may be considered the wave of the future, but do you think the spend is justifiable for the SXRD right NOW, or should I hold out for when the display market is a little more saturated with this technology?  Thanks again for your thorough replies.  beerchug.gif

I have no idea how well those devices handle an HDMI connection or if they're even capable of. As for the 3LCD, I've seen it in stores and it looks nice but in all honesty I absolutly LOATHE rear projection based sets. They combine all the negative parts of front projection (bulb life, frequent calibration, dark picture, bad black levels) with all the negative parts of direct display (small(er) picture, big case, bad viewing angle). I'll admit the 3LCD looks nicer then most RPTVs but I try to avoid that tech on a whole.

There's also a ton of new techs coming out this next year. the next 5 or so years you'll see HUGE leaps and bounds in the tech and prices just dropping left and right. If you get something now, get something cheap that you wont mind replacing in a few years... because trust me you'll want to.

QUOTE(bacardi/avt @ Apr 17 2006, 11:58 AM) View Post

Very good information, but I still wonder about HDMI?

Will the xbox360 send a signal with or without HDCP over HDMI? This is a question that I can't find any answer to.

My reason for asking is that a lot of older plasma screens and projectors can't handle HDCP.

My second question is : If there is HDCP protection will it be on all the trnsfer over HDMI or only when watching Video?

We don't know, MS hasn't released any hard info on if the 360 is capable of HDMI or HDCP so it's anybody's guess. As for if HDCP is active all the time or just some of the time, it completely depends on the device, some do some don't.

vanxman

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2006, 01:11:00 AM »

Very interesting, but I still have a problem understanding something...

My TV only has DVI-i and VGA (via a VGA-DVI adapter) input , but NO component or HDMI.

My question: how do I get the XBOX component cable to work with the DVI-i input? Any cables or switches needed???

I need to do this so that I can get the 1080i (which the TV is capable of) option on the 360 set-up screen. The 360 works with the optional VGA cable, but using that the 360 won't (1) give me the HDTV (480p, 1080i) resolutions and (2) won't let me go above the 878x480 resolution.

_iffy

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2006, 10:28:00 AM »

Great tut ts.

I barley knew any of that.

Vidness

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »

Something I don't see mentioned which might need to be:

DVDs & full resolution.   If you have DVD 'backups', they generally won't play at 720p or 1080i unless you

a)  Have a 'enhanced' Xbox 1 with XBMC
cool.gif  Have a DVD player that uses HDMI (LG comes to mind)

I picked up a ps3 and HD DVD player for the 360.  Neither would play a backup DVD higher than 480p, yet they would do their kind up to 1080p.  The PS3 not playing it at full res kinda ticked me off, since it's connected via HDMI.

Eksyte

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »

So you can't use an X360 VGA cable with a DVI-D port?

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2007, 06:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(Vidness @ Jan 8 2007, 02:04 PM) View Post

Something I don't see mentioned which might need to be:

DVDs & full resolution.   If you have DVD 'backups', they generally won't play at 720p or 1080i unless you

a)  Have a 'enhanced' Xbox 1 with XBMC
B)  Have a DVD player that uses HDMI (LG comes to mind)

I picked up a ps3 and HD DVD player for the 360.  Neither would play a backup DVD higher than 480p, yet they would do their kind up to 1080p.  The PS3 not playing it at full res kinda ticked me off, since it's connected via HDMI.

The connection you use has nothing to do with whether or not the DVD outputs at 480p or 720p/1080i.

All DVDs are encoded in SDTV or EDTV resolutions... that is to say the highest resolution a DVD has is 480p. The Player needs to "upscale" the content if you want it in high resolution. which is basically just taking the 480p image and stretching it out to fit 720p or 1080i.

Most Upscaling DVD players arbitrarily require an HDMI output per MPAA regulations. it's not technically required but politically they require it because it's a secure connection that theoretically helps prevent piracy (since you can't tap the data line and extract the movie through the HDMI connection). Also I think it's to help condition people into thinking HDMI is required for HD signals since HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will require it down the road once they institute the Image Constraint Token.

Since XBMC pisses in the face of the MPAA regulations it upscales with no regard to political requirements. Similarly certain brands of upscaling DVD players (most famously the OPPO players) will also upscale via component video connections.

The Playstation 3 doesn't upscale because it doesn't have any scaler hardware inside to perform the operation. though like XBMC it could easily do it through software instead... it's just a matter of Sony actually adding in that feature. Unlike XBMC the PS3 would likely only output DVDs in HD via the HDMI port as they conform to MPAA regulations.

QUOTE(Eksyte @ Feb 19 2007, 02:35 PM) View Post

So you can't use an X360 VGA cable with a DVI-D port?

Nope... it wont work... at all.

If the Rumored Zeyphyr or Elite versions of the Xbox 360 (the one with the HDMI port) ever arrive you could adapt HDMI to DVI-D as they're essentially the same signal.
QUOTE(pessaddict @ Mar 1 2007, 09:09 PM) View Post

NOOB ALERT

i have this hdtv and currently have it connected to my 360 via the cable that came with my 360, component i think. the 360 is set to 720 just wanted to know if i should stick the component or change to the hd vga cable    

http://www.mirai.eu/...&...6&cat_id=43

Unless you've got an HDTV with a native resolution of 1920x1080 then you should stick with Component.
Where your TV has a native resolution of 1366x768 there is no VGA resolution available that matches that exactly.

Particularly where the closest VGA resolution that the Xbox 360 can output is 1360x768... your TV will stretch it out over those extra 6 pixels and I've heard the results are horrid when that happens.

Dark_Raider99

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »

I know that I'm not the first person to say this, nor will I be the last, but THANK YOU! Before reading this guide, I thought I knew a significant amount about Audio/Video but I guess not. I really appreciate it! Very well done! beerchug.gif
Pages: 1 [2] 3