xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Transparent Icons While Displaying Gamertag On Desktop, Xp  (Read 206 times)

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
Transparent Icons While Displaying Gamertag On Desktop, Xp
« on: February 09, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »

I know how to display my gamercard on the desktop but is there any way to keep the icon backgrounds transparent if using XP?. As soon as I enable my gamertag on the desktop they turn a horrible blue. I'd really like to have my gamercard displayed in the top right corner but I can't live with the blue background on the icon text. Anyone know of an XP fix?. I've tried the usual fixes like system->advanced->performance settings->use drop shadows for desktop icons but nothing seems to work and any other fixes involve disabling the active gamertag desktop image which is no help.
Here's what I'm talking about...
(IMG:http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/sabbath_dude/Untitled-2-1.jpg)

xess

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »

I spent ages trying to find a fix for this on the web, without any luck. Everywhere I looked said XP displays a solid blue background for icons when the desktop has a webpage enabled, with no way round the problem. You get use to it tho, I ended up getting rid of most of the shortcuts and moved the ones I really wanted to the start menu.

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »

Same here, I've been looking for a solution everywhere but it seems like there isn't one. Do you know if there's an app or some sort of messenger type software that displays your gamertag and active friends list?. I'm sure there was a news article on something like that a while ago but I can't find it. Might be a good alternative.

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »

Is there a registry hack you could find to fix this?

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(CattyKid @ Feb 9 2008, 09:09 PM) View Post

Is there a registry hack you could find to fix this?

nope, if activedesktop is enabled the transparent icon backgrounds dont work

i have this same issue at work, they use AD to display a corporate background image, but it makes my icons ugly sad.gif

youll have to find a means of displaying the gamercard without using activedesktop, however something the OP can do is change the background color in display properties to something that will blend better with the wallpaper

xess

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 01:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(sabbath_dude @ Feb 9 2008, 10:55 PM) View Post

Do you know if there's an app or some sort of messenger type software that displays your gamertag and active friends list?

I'm not sure if you mean xblfriends, which you can find here.

Also, Google allows you to display your GT. Read about it at mygamercard.net.

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback/suggestions. I ended up changing my wallpaper to something mostly black then selected the icon background to also be black which looked alright. I've since just got rid of the gamerpic because it was doing weird things to the quality of my wallpaper. It was more hassle than it was worth in the end.
QUOTE(xess @ Feb 10 2008, 09:32 PM) *

I'm not sure if you mean xblfriends, which you can find here.
Thats the one, thanks!. I'm going to check it out now.