xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Need Help With A Cd Album Cover.  (Read 169 times)

Leglez

• Archived User
Need Help With A Cd Album Cover.
« on: November 14, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »

Ok a friend of mine is releasing his second cd and this one he wants covers and cases for and everything.  So I started playing around and got this:

IPB Image

But today I was talking to another friend and he made some suggestions that I liked a lot along with the artist.  He suggested that the left side be like it is but then put Bipolar on the right side and make everything on the left side have like a frozen look to it.  

He also suggested to make it look like N3M3SIS and Bipolar were laying on top of the water or even right under the water.  I don't know if it would still be possible to read it like this though.

Also before anyone says anything about the crappy render job of the artist.  I already know it is bad.  It was a small image and I just did a rough outline to give him an idea.  I am going to re-render it.

But does anyone here think they could help me?  I am wanting the frozen look the most but if someone can accomplish the text laying down also I would greatly appreciate it.

Here is the PSD:  http://www.zshare.ne...49136789a94ce1/

gasclown

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »

Hey, the file is not of high enough resolution (considering font not included) to get decent ouput from it. Not sure what you mean exactly with the frozen thing, but if you search for a freeze/frozen action for PS you'll prolly find what you need.  

But seeing as you've used a pic of my country I'll tell ya how to do the text on/below water thing.

Firstly, make yr type much bigger than it needs to be when finished, then rasterise this type layer. Use skew or perspective transform to make to make it smaller at top than bottom (the perspective of the image you use will define the amount). This will make it look like it's 'laying down' as you say.  Once you have yr perspective sorted it's very easy to get it to blend.  There are many ways to do this but this is how I do it...

Make a copy of the layer, set the top copy layer mode to overlay, set the bottom copy to an opacity of about 5%.  Play around with these settings until you get what you like.

Merge these layers and set the mode to overlay again. Then run a ripple filter over it.  Play around with layer opacity until the shadows on the text match the shadows on yr bg image.

here's a super quick example using yr tiny file (better results with greater resolution and with the font used, as theres no scope for the initial upsaling).  When I make similar effects there are a few more steps and nuances to the process but this will get you there...

(IMG:http://members.optusnet.com.au/gasclown/xs-water.jpg)

Hope it helps.

Himura

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 04:49:00 AM »

all i have to say is, the text just looks out of place  smile.gif

Leglez

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 09:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(gasclown @ Nov 15 2007, 04:23 PM) View Post

Hey, the file is not of high enough resolution (considering font not included) to get decent ouput from it. Not sure what you mean exactly with the frozen thing, but if you search for a freeze/frozen action for PS you'll prolly find what you need.  

But seeing as you've used a pic of my country I'll tell ya how to do the text on/below water thing.

Firstly, make yr type much bigger than it needs to be when finished, then rasterise this type layer. Use skew or perspective transform to make to make it smaller at top than bottom (the perspective of the image you use will define the amount). This will make it look like it's 'laying down' as you say.  Once you have yr perspective sorted it's very easy to get it to blend.  There are many ways to do this but this is how I do it...

Make a copy of the layer, set the top copy layer mode to overlay, set the bottom copy to an opacity of about 5%.  Play around with these settings until you get what you like.

Merge these layers and set the mode to overlay again. Then run a ripple filter over it.  Play around with layer opacity until the shadows on the text match the shadows on yr bg image.

here's a super quick example using yr tiny file (better results with greater resolution and with the font used, as theres no scope for the initial upsaling).  When I make similar effects there are a few more steps and nuances to the process but this will get you there...

IPB Image
Hope it helps.

Thanks a lot!  What I mean as far as the frozen thing is.  I want it to look snowy and like the water is frozen and the text is frozen and have ice and snow on everything.  Do you have a higher res picture of the city scape?  I looked around for a bit and that is the biggest one I could find.