xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 3d Car Rims  (Read 149 times)

pitbullz

• Archived User
3d Car Rims
« on: February 28, 2006, 10:50:00 AM »

hey all i modeled these out in blender 3d. Started from a cube and came out with this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) next im gonna work on making a tire then move to the whole car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) been messing with this program for a few hours. Im catching on tho (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Modeling the rim prolly took like 10 to 15 mins but the texturing is kinda tricky. Hope you enjoy

C + C welcome

(IMG:http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/6451/10spokerimyayfry0fy.jpg)

(IMG:http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/6669/rimshine9ay.jpg)

yaazz

• Archived User
3d Car Rims
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 11:50:00 AM »

nice rims

pitbullz

• Archived User
3d Car Rims
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 03:44:00 PM »

ahh thank you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) im workin on getting the tires modeled out as well.

n00bFRAGGER

• Archived User
3d Car Rims
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 07:01:00 PM »

The top image is really nice. You created those from scratch?

pitbullz

• Archived User
3d Car Rims
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 08:52:00 PM »

yeah i used blender 3d (its sorta like 3d max) started out with a cube and made 1 spoke and they got this cool thing in it where you pick how many duplicates you want and then i spun them around and made the star. Made a tube the width of the rim scale the edge for the rim lip and then textured them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Blender is a damn good program im pretty surprised at what it can do and its free thats whats crazy hehe. Its crazy how drastic it looks without textures heres a shot b4 textures (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)  

(IMG:http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/2850/10spokenotex8tx.jpg)

metaldevil

• Archived User
3d Car Rims
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 05:20:00 AM »

Free, you say? How can they afford to let it go without charge? I mean, I know how open source works, but holy crap! Maya 7 can cost up to ~$9,000. Free 3-D software is mind-blowing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) What limitations have you found in Blender? It's obvious you can model with polygons, but what about NURBS and sub-division surfaces? What about conversions between them? Does it come with its own renderer?

P.S. pitz, some of your spokes are poking through the rim wall. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Edit: I forgot to ask about animation. Does it allow you to animate a scene?

This post has been edited by metaldevil: Mar 2 2006, 01:28 PM

pitbullz

• Archived User
3d Car Rims
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 06:13:00 AM »

yup its free i couldn't believe it either. You can do everything in it so far no limits (except for me being a noob in that program hehe) you can do nurbs and tons more. You can actually subdivide different ways and get different results. Its actually pretty easy to use once you get the hotkeys down. Ive messed with maya and 3d max both and so far blender was by far the easiest to learn. Also blender has things like maya for hair and fur. The bones for animating characters is alot more easy to use. The only bad thing i can say at this point is im having problems importing models that ive made in there i could have saved it wrong im kinda still expermenting with it. Oh yeah it does have its own renderer and also on the blender page they have a link to a better one that works with it called "yayfry". i recommend it for people just starting out to me its easier to learn than the others so far. Just remember if you try it out force yourself to use the hotkeys they are very important and make your work go alot faster. Im still learning it myself so if you come across any good tips or find something cool lemme know hehe (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

oh yeah p.s. - yeah i saw it coming through the rim a lil but with a tire on it you wouldn't see that hehe i was just amazed that the render came out like that so i posted it b4 i put the tire on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ive been working on a technique for the tire its coming along good even got treads on it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ill post a new render with the tire soon.

feel free to ask any questions

saunders73

• Archived User
3d Car Rims
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 06:35:00 AM »

holy shit, check out their website they have a couple other open source projects
Blender3d

metaldevil

• Archived User
3d Car Rims
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 07:29:00 AM »

Wow, they got some great stuff in their gallery. I just downloaded it. It's about 6.5mb, and, as far as I can tell, it is a fully operational 3-D program. It took less than ten seconds to install. Damn, that's some wild shit, man. Now, I'm going to tinker with this bad boy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

deakphreak

• Archived User
3d Car Rims
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 08:35:00 AM »

Those rims do look great.  Ive had this program for quite a while but havnt found time to play around with it just yet.

pitbullz

• Archived User
3d Car Rims
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 08:18:00 PM »

ty deak (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) k i got a screeny of it with a tire (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) this is all blender no photoshop at all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/6002/new10xtra3xc.jpg)

saunders73

• Archived User
3d Car Rims
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 08:27:00 PM »

holy shit again, those are so nice do you mind releasing the .blend file when your done?

pitbullz

• Archived User
3d Car Rims
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 06:17:00 AM »

metaldevil

• Archived User
3d Car Rims
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 11:05:00 AM »

pitz, you can import .obj files which are/were native to Maya. They open fine with Blender. Unless I made a mistake somewhere, it seems that Blender added a second layer of ploygons to my character model. I double-checked it with Maya, and my character is fine. I'm thinking that I may have to merge the vertices before importing in order to keep the poly count down. It's not a great concern right now, but I can see how that will lengthen render time in the future.

I haven't figured out how to directly import Maya files (.mb, .ma, or .mov), though. I'll keep you posted.

This post has been edited by metaldevil: Mar 3 2006, 07:05 PM

soupy_31

• Archived User
3d Car Rims
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 02:22:00 PM »

Uh-oh.. SOTW is going to start getting tougher now the metaldevil has a new weapon.

EDIT: Try this.  http://www.infizz.com/coketut.html

This post has been edited by soupy_31: Mar 3 2006, 10:23 PM