xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Another HD disc format: HD Versatile Multilayer Disc  (Read 342 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Another HD disc format: HD Versatile Multilayer Disc
« on: June 22, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | June 23 00:31 EST | News Category: OffTopic

From variety.com:

As if high-def DVDs weren't already a consfusing enough sell to consumers.
Starting in September, home media buffs in the U.S. and Europe -- Denmark, Finland, France, Poland and Sweden, specifically -- will have a third HD disc format to choose from, the HD Versatile Multilayer Disc (VMD).
Debuting a full year and a half behind HD DVD, the fledgling HD VMD -- being championed by U.K. technology company New Medium Enterprises -- is starting almost from scratch in the U.S. in terms of both distribution and content.

No major U.S. studio has aligned itself with HD VMD yet (although one indie has). And so far, just one U.S. retailer, Web site PCrush.com, has formally agreed to sell the HD VMD player.
Overall, NME has partnered with international distributors for about 5,000 slated HD VMD releases, including Bac Films (titles include "Pulp Fiction") in France, Scanbox ("Saw II") in Scandinavia and Germany's VCL Communications ("Hostage").

Based on "red-laser" technology, HD VMD utilizes conventional DVD manufacturing and authoring processes, so production costs are lower than those of HD DVD and Blu-ray.

"In the first six months we are giving free authoring tools to studio partners to make our content popular in the format," he says. "Many production houses can't make the investment with (Blu-ray or HD DVD). We want to make the industry feel comfortable with high-def."

Of course, consumers have to feel comfortable, too -- New Medium plans to debut its HD VMD players at under $200, with European retailers, including Tesco in Poland and Boulanger in France, selling the device from $150 to $199.

Full Story: variety.com

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

It'll be interesting to see if this goes anywhere....

This post has been edited by epsilon72: Jun 23 2007, 06:05 AM

juan_2006

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »

well thats something worth looking into.

sicknasty413

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »

Maybe I can't read, but did the article mention how many gigabytes a disc can hold?

Brizzzer

• Archived User

eldritch2k4

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 12:01:00 AM »

This is basically worthless in the US. HD VMD has about as much chance at winning the format war as a kid with down syndrome winning a marathon after starting a day late. No major studio support, late out of the gate, use of a dated technology.

schizzlefuzz

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 12:38:00 AM »

It is about as versatile as the UMD is universal.

THDVL

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 01:59:00 AM »

Another hd disc format... This is getting ridiculous. I'm sure it wont be compatible with any of the hd/bd players out now so then they will come out with their own player. Retarded. This whole battle of the disc's is starting to agitate me now.. You gotta have "this" to for "this" to work, but if you dont have "that", "this" wont work. MEH!! I say make one frickin disc be it blueray or hd, release all movies on the chosen and be done with it already.

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 03:23:00 AM »

microsoft is could really take advantage of this. there arelot of confused consumers and they have a simple  way of getting HD movies into their home with out the puchase of an aditional (and possbly worthless) HD/BRD player. its called the marketplace!! let us use our own storage and ill have no problem paying for your movies msft. but dont make me buy your bigger drive =(

pirichios

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 03:27:00 AM »

the winner of this whole mess are regular dvd's people keep buying them cuz they wont buy anything else until a winner is decided (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

elitegamer360

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 04:52:00 AM »

It uses 'red-laser'  but not compatible with current DVD drives, let them shove the VMDs and its players up their arse.

I dont think that we're gona see a clear winner any time soon is very frustrating.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grr.gif)

slunk

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 05:17:00 AM »

I'm sick of hearing about the 'format war' to be honest, its just plain boring now. Has the 360 scene hit a brick wall or is it me? XanTium has been scraping the barrel for quite a while now...

Knasen

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 05:25:00 AM »

Oh no! Please not another HD format  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

ashlvsya

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2007, 06:15:00 AM »

I'm waiting for FVD to hit the stores.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_Versatile_Disc

Ash

halofun121

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2007, 08:15:00 AM »

This was a little late to the market. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray have already done it big, with movie studios and companies backing them and with plenty of players already sold. Not to mention they were developed by "big brand names" like Toshiba and Sony. Anything else doesn't have a chance in my opinion.

This post has been edited by halofun121: Jun 23 2007, 03:17 PM