xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: HD-DVD AACS DRM Cracked?  (Read 1257 times)

appleguru

• Archived User
HD-DVD AACS DRM Cracked?
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 08:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(silentbob343 @ Dec 27 2006, 10:32 PM) View Post

My understanding of AACS is that old cracked keys can be disabled at the player level via firmware:

This is true... however, it means that all previously released content can still be decrypted even with a 'banned' key... and it also means that they'd be effectively disabling the players that used the compramised key... not exactly a wise choice for good PR (unless new discs auto-updated the onboard key or something similar to change it)

luther349

• Archived User
HD-DVD AACS DRM Cracked?
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2006, 08:39:00 PM »

its drm so its illagle lawsuit will come. but it is a majer blow to all this drm shit.

rasstar

• Archived User
HD-DVD AACS DRM Cracked?
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2006, 08:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(luther349 @ Dec 28 2006, 04:46 AM) View Post

its drm so its illagle lawsuit will come. but it is a majer blow to all this drm shit.

Maybe they should let everyone copy everything with no protection? Maybe the Xbox 360 games shoudl be able to be backed up without any kind of protection. Let's see how well the games will sell.

sgr215

• Archived User
HD-DVD AACS DRM Cracked?
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2006, 08:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(rasstar @ Dec 27 2006, 10:44 PM) View Post

No about backing up an HD movie. How much is an HD burner and who said they will even play in a HD player. So if all you can do is store 20 gigs per movie on your hard drive what will be the use.

Personally, I couldn't care less about backing up HD movies. I do, however, enjoy the fact this might make AACS useless. To learn why DRM sucks do a simple google search. wink.gif

rasstar

• Archived User
HD-DVD AACS DRM Cracked?
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 08:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(sgr215 @ Dec 28 2006, 04:49 AM) View Post

Personally, I couldn't care less about backing up HD movies. I do, however, enjoy the fact this might make AACS useless. To learn why DRM sucks do a simply google search. wink.gif

I think DRM is needed because there is just too much pirating. Without any kind of protection what will happen to the industry. If the Xbox 360 had no protection and games could be backed up without any modification how many games would be released?

sgr215

• Archived User
HD-DVD AACS DRM Cracked?
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 09:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(rasstar @ Dec 27 2006, 10:53 PM) View Post

I think DRM is needed in todays world. Without any kind of protection what will happen to the industry. If the Xbox 360 had no protection and games could be backed up without any modification how many games would be released?

That's a far too simplistic way of looking at it. If such protection schemes actually succeeded in stopping piracy I might see the point in implementing them but they never do.These protection schemes end up doing nothing to stop the ultimate goal, eliminating piracy, and only end up hurting the consumer. I won't go into the numerous, well documented examples of how DRM affects the consumer but like I stated earlier, google is your friend. smile.gif

drleephd

• Archived User
HD-DVD AACS DRM Cracked?
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006, 09:10:00 PM »

woot woot, I suppose. now I can fill up a 250gb hard drive with eight whole movies! instead of 100 DVD quality ones

Meh kinda, but this will be great in about 4 years when terabyte hard drives are $80 and I have a screen big enough to justify 1080p.... and by then I'll be doing it on xbmc360.... until that day comes I'll stick with cheap dvd+r's and old fashoned ripping

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
HD-DVD AACS DRM Cracked?
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2006, 09:14:00 PM »

Pirates will use this.

That's a given.

However.. those who'd want to back up their investment.. now can.

Bravo.

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
HD-DVD AACS DRM Cracked?
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2006, 09:18:00 PM »

where I come from.. even senior citizens know how to download from newsgroups, and make/burn VCD, SVCD, and DVD's.

Tool have made this far too simple.. and almost dummy proof.

with AACS cracked.. and tools to follow.. it won't be terribly difficult for anyone wanting to do this. $$$ cost of hardware will be the only stepping stone. Cost of media as well. but as we know. that drops fast.

silentbob343

• Archived User
HD-DVD AACS DRM Cracked?
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2006, 09:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(HSDEMONZ @ Dec 28 2006, 12:25 AM) View Post

with AACS cracked.. and tools to follow.. it won't be terribly difficult for anyone wanting to do this. $$$ cost of hardware will be the only stepping stone. Cost of media as well. but as we know. that drops fast.

Interesting situation.  
Blu-ray has 2 more layers of protection
1. BD+
2. Digital Watermarking or ROM-Mark

So pirates and most of the public will like HD-DVD as it's only protection is AACS, but studios will like BD as it still has 2 more layers, i.e. Fox not going with HD-DVD due to AACS being the only form of protection.
This is true... however, it means that all previously released content can still be decrypted even with a 'banned' key... and it also means that they'd be effectively disabling the players that used the compramised key... not exactly a wise choice for good PR (unless new discs auto-updated the onboard key or something similar to change it)

I understand and it's not ideal, but still an option for studios to discourage large scale piracy.

rasstar

• Archived User
HD-DVD AACS DRM Cracked?
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2006, 09:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(Sanitarium @ Dec 28 2006, 05:22 AM) View Post

I fully understand the need to protect they're product, but hampering it to the point where it effects the user who legally purchased it is bullshit.  That's what I hate about DRM.  They can't simply place no protection on it at all, but they must realize that no matter what they come up with it will be hacked.  What needs to be done is come up with a away to protect the content so that it does not frustrate the poor sap who buys it.  

Any protection is a success if it makes it far too complicated for the average joe to understand.  How many people out there have enough of a clue to mod their 360's firmware even though all the info and tools are there for the taking?  Probably around 1% of the population.  So given that the other 99% are more or less oblivious to it, I'd say that was a success for M$.  

AACS was going to be hacked no matter what, but it's there to prevent massive scale piracy.  I imagine the vast majority of the herd doesn't even know how to backup a DVD at this point.

Can you think of a way to seperate the two?

I can imagine PowerDVD will come under a lot of fire because of this. Looks like PowerDVD is what helped the hacker crack the code. Wasn't this just launched recently?

drakethegreat

• Archived User
HD-DVD AACS DRM Cracked?
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2006, 10:09:00 PM »

People don't seem to fully understand the nature of piracy here. So lets say they do ban the keys and you can't use that DVD software to rip new movies. Ok well as people said you would still be able to steal the old ones via the banned software. Patching drive firmware has always been a possibility so simply updated the drive firmware will not solve the problem for the media companies. They can essentially only stop the software from decrypting old movies.

Ok before diving into the issue of new movies with the old ones, once someone gets a decrypted copy it will hit the topsites and/or some P2P community. So essentially once its cracked you will be able to download it from anywhere given enoguh time. Now if the keys are stored in RAM when the software loads up and decrypts the movie then that means the software developers will have to clever and completely redesign it each time a key is cracked. So right now PowerDVD is going to have to be completely redesigned if this is indeed real. Well they will then start releasing discs with new keys and new version of PowerDVD. So once agian remember the key has to exist for the player decrypted somewhere on the PC off the disc. So its possible to hack it again.

Now each time someone is able to find that key then its likely the authors of the decryption software will just have a new release with the new key and problem solved. So the media companies are really going to redesign software completely to thwart hackers each time?

Also consider even if they do start to disable the keys that have been compromised off these early discs, they are always running the risk of screwing standalone drives. Lets say a hacker gets the key off of a standalone toshiba player. What is the solution for the MPAA? Essentially kill millions of players across countries from playing new movies? Wow that would be an even bigger PR disaster then simply disabling old versions of PC software. Their fall back plan just isn't that great.

Robotic Clone

• Archived User
HD-DVD AACS DRM Cracked?
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2006, 10:19:00 PM »

HD-DVD has just won the format war.
I agree piracy sucks but what about fair use rights? I have ripped and converted dozens of DVDs for use with XBMC, my PSP, and my Play-Yan Micro (GameBoy video adapter). I don't see the Film companies offering unDRMed content that can be played on anything. Until they do that I will be using these "piracy" tools so that I can watch my movies when I want how I want. I paid for a copy and a licence to view the film when I purchased the DVD, I should not have to buy it again from Vongo or iTunes.

Elemino

• Archived User
HD-DVD AACS DRM Cracked?
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2006, 11:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(BigSteel @ Dec 27 2006, 08:54 PM) View Post

Nice work  biggrin.gif   Makes you kinda wonder why anyone bothers with copy protection these days.  We have yet to see anything suceed for very long.
Because if average Joe with no technical skills could do it, EVERYONE would do it. As it is, just the people with some technical know how do it. That is a muuuuuch smaller percentage of the population.

anarchron

• Archived User
HD-DVD AACS DRM Cracked?
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2006, 11:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(rasstar @ Dec 28 2006, 03:49 AM) View Post

Maybe they should let everyone copy everything with no protection? Maybe the Xbox 360 games shoudl be able to be backed up without any kind of protection. Let's see how well the games will sell.

Well, look at PC games. Most of them don't have DRM crap and yet they still sell.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6