xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Copy protection hole in Blu-ray and HD DVD movies  (Read 258 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Copy protection hole in Blu-ray and HD DVD movies
« on: July 07, 2006, 04:41:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | July 7 18:05 EST

From heise-security.co.uk:

The Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD are new data carriers for high-resolution motion pictures. For fear of piracy, Hollywood had the developers install a cornucopia of copy prevention mechanisms on them. For instance, the film data on the disks are protected by means of the Advanced Access Content System (AACS). Digital output only reaches the monitor via connections encrypted by means of High Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). This copy protection chain is designed to ensure that no unencrypted data can be grabbed.

But this security chain has a giant hole. Computer magazine c't has discovered that the first software players running on Windows XP allow screenshots of the movies to be created in full resolution. To do so, you only need to press the Print key on your keyboard while the movie is running. Such a screenshot function could then be automated to produce copies of HD movies both from Blu-ray Discs and from HD DVDs picture by picture. As c't calculated, the performance of current PC systems is sufficient for a clean recording using this procedure. Once a pirate has all of the individual pictures, they can be put together to create a complete movie and mixed with the audio track that is grabbed separately.

When asked to comment, Toshiba confirmed the security hole found by c't, which affects the computers already sold, and announced updates for the player software and graphics card driver. These new software versions should disable the screenshot function.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 04:18:00 PM »

lol

This post has been edited by bucko: Jul 7 2006, 11:24 PM

Nightbird

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 04:43:00 PM »

When i first read the title of this news, I thought I was just about to read something regarding an advanced encryption bypassing technique, not hitting the goddam Print Key. Lol. Kind of makes a mockery of some of this stuff they come up with. Makes you wonder who is running the show.

Casper1786

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 04:53:00 PM »

holy shit not the print key, fuck that sounds like work, then still having to get the audio, then sync them together, i'm sure if som1 had made a script to catch the video feed i could put it together, but in the end all you got is the movie, no fancy menus or special features, the time i would spend stealing it, i could be at work and just pay for it... lame nothin like overeacting

mksoftware

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 04:57:00 PM »

it will be cracked another way, period  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif)

Spectro

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 05:05:00 PM »

Fraps can do a screenshot of any video-file, then you have an application called studio-something that can record whatever is on your screen into a video file of your choice.

I don't see this as something they can prevent.
Sure, these methods aren't the best for making rips, but in theory, they should work.

EugeneEW3RD

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 05:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(mksoftware @ Jul 7 2006, 06:28 PM) *

Ditto. These companies keep forgetting that no matter how much copy protection that they implement, there is always a way to break/bypass copy protection.

adversekarma

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 05:09:00 PM »

good ol' print screen!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

LiquidLithium

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(EugeneEW3RD @ Jul 7 2006, 11:37 PM) *

Ditto. These companies keep forgetting that no matter how much copy protection that they implement, there is always a way to break/bypass copy protection.

*cough* MS *cough*

Bjodom

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 05:14:00 PM »

Yup, isn't their a saying:

If you can see it, then it can be duplicated\copied.
If you can hear it, then it can be duplicated

Something going around with music piracy and pictures.

julio9

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 05:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(mksoftware @ Jul 7 2006, 11:28 PM) *

And I'll rejoice every time I see another crack come out.  I don't care for piracy myself, but I'm sick of seeing large corporations spending so much time and money on copy protection.  More often than not, the consumer is the one who gets screwed.  The whole HD-DVD/Blue Ray encryption model already hoses those of us with HDTV's that don't carry HDMI inputs.  

I remember buying a Napster membership, only to find that all I could do with the music was listen to it on my computer.  After spending about an hour figuring out how to get around their encryption using (of all things) Windows Media Player 9, I just bagged it, and downloaded the songs on emule.  

If these idiotic corporations would spend those billions of dollars on marketing, or just pocket the money, they'd probably see a better return on their investment.  I may be wrong, but I think a large part of it has to do with the Hollywoodites and Lars Ulrich's of the world (who may be decent artists, but have absolutely no business sense) putting pressure on their labels.

KILLplaystation

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 05:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(mksoftware @ Jul 7 2006, 06:28 PM) *

true, someone will find a way

neoed30

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 05:36:00 PM »

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)  

Sad. Really Sad. Put all that work into keeping it from being pirated and there is already a way around it. I don't care what they do to it. IMO there will always be away.

dalezer

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 06:10:00 PM »

ewwwww...soooo scared....  TooSHIBA is gonna turn off screenshot.... im so scared.... there gonna be PROTECTED... lol.... for like 1 month.....

watch hackers think of a crack for this very quickly....

NOTHING is hacker proof... theres ALWAYS a hole .. small or GIANT theres always one..

humans aren't perfect ... neither is their coding... lol  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jester.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jester.gif)

ps.. im gonna dress up as a bluray dvd for halloween and scare small lil script kiddies with my super protections.. lol  hahaha  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jester.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jester.gif)

This post has been edited by dalezer: Jul 8 2006, 01:12 AM

mrdan

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 06:12:00 PM »

Copy protection schemes exist primarily to prevent the mainstream public from simply being able to pop in a movie and hit copy. The technically competent will always have a way.