xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Error 16 After Swapping Hdd  (Read 168 times)

asktheaet

• Archived User
Error 16 After Swapping Hdd
« on: June 12, 2003, 09:37:00 PM »

I just put in my new Maxtor 7200rpm 8mb cache HDD.  I put in the cables correctly of course.  I followed all the instructions in the hdd2-install.php tutorial from this website exactly.  

I am using evoxv1.8.2812 (the cd-rw definitely works because i tested on my original xbox hdd and it booted no problem every time).

When I boot it with the xecutor chip off, I get the 'call customer support' error message.  When I boot it with the chip on, I get the 'error 16' message (it says something about an error with the dashboard).  Sometimes this error16 page loads correctly, sometimes only the top right of the screen is visible, with a diagonal line dividing the screen in half strangely.  For some reason it doesnt say 'xecutor' or 'M$' anymore when it boots up (regardless of whether the modchip is switched off or on).

I tried changing the hdd from cable select to master, but it made zero difference.

The only other thing I can think of is that I have an xbox bought in Japan, and my new hdd is from USA.  Could that be a problem?

is there anything else I can do to make it work?  I saw a post saying that you should put the old hdd in, let it find the correct time, and then install the new hdd while leaving the power cable in.  But this strikes me as dangerous, and unnecessary.  Could that really be the solution?  Theres no mention of it in the tutorials.

asktheaet

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 09:46:00 PM »

By the way, i didnt do anything to the hdd first because I dont have a PC.  So i just put it straight into the xbox.  

It says in the tutorial this is ok.  I dont quite understand how the HDD gets locked, but I assume that evox does it automatically when it formats the drive?

asktheaet

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2003, 06:19:00 PM »

bump - come on guys, someone give me a hand here!  please!

asktheaet

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2003, 06:44:00 AM »

beerchug.gif

asktheaet

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2003, 05:21:00 PM »

yeah i have tried it with cd-rws of every evox version, but none of them work.

if i do it the way you suggest, it will work?  

if i flash the bios with 4974, can i reflash it back to the original 4976 bios after i get the new HDD in?

crackbaby

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2003, 04:16:00 AM »

jumpers on the HD?  must be cable select.  Mine did the same thing at first.  When M$ or Xecuter doesn't pull up in the bios its not booting off the HD or DVD drive.

Morglum

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2003, 05:21:00 AM »

It wont boot Evo-X if it gets error 16, it wont boot anything unless he uses the Evo-X BIOS.

Best way you can sort this out mate is put your old HDD in with the M$ dash on, set the clock with that. Power down your xbox, put your new HDD in and you should be fine being as it hasnt been powered down for too long. Thats how i sorted mine when it error 16'd right after a swap.

Morglum

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2003, 05:45:00 AM »

cool.gif

asktheaet

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2003, 08:01:00 AM »

ok i got it to work.  

i put the old HDD in, and then put the new one in again while keeping the power cable in.  i didnt need to do anything to the clock!  i forgot, but it worked anyway.   for some reason it just needed the power cable in when i swapped the HDD.

the tutorial really needs to be updated to say 'keep your power cable plugged in when you switch HDDs'

heinrich

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2003, 02:34:00 AM »

NORMAL BOOT PROCESS:
1.Xbox turns on
2. several checks are done for hardware, incuding RAM, HD, and DVD-DRIVE, just to test if they are present
3.Xbox checks SYSTEM TIME -> if no time is found -> boot dash off hard drive to set time
4. Xbox looks for default.xbe on DISC, if it is not found, goto 5
5. Xbox boots dash off of Hard drive

What is happening in your case:
1.Xbox turns on
2. several checks are done for hardware, incuding RAM, HD, and DVD-DRIVE, just to test if they are present
3.Xbox checks SYSTEM TIME ->TIME NOT FOUND -> Xbox tries to launch dash off of hard drive -> DASH NOT FOUND-> ERROR 16 - DASH ERROR
===================================================
The xbox never gets to point of checking the dvd drive for an .xbe.  As said before, some older bios's (like d.6) can just skip over error 16, much like the x2 bios can skip over the "no dvd drive" error (11)