xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Stereo Upgrade!  (Read 207 times)

buttface96

• Archived User
Stereo Upgrade!
« on: December 12, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »

I've been driving a 2001 ford ranger for a while now, but it in dire need of an audio upgrade. The stereo in it is a factory stereo and no modifications have been made to anything... yet. When I bought the truck, the CD player was on the verge of crapping out (skipped discs very often and would randomly just eject discs when playing) anyway now it is completely dead. The volume knob is very prone to interference with cell phones (if I have my phone within 1-2ft of the stereo, volume freaks out because of the interference.)

The radio portion is just fine, I actually had a nice Itrip to broadcast my ipod to the radio and it worked wonderfully.... Until some punk-ass broke into my truck a month ago and stole the transmitter, my ipod, and a few other odds and ends.

Anyway I've been looking for a decent aftermarket stereo with a working CD player and direct connect of any usb device (NOT just auxiliary inputs)

I have stumbled upon this one by pioneer and it seems like it will work: HERE

After reading up on installation and such I have realized a few issues at hand:

1. My current factory stereo is (or appears to be) Double DIN, not single, and I do not want a gaping hole in the bottom DIM slot if I use the top one. Is there a faceplate included in the kit in the link above? Or is that something that I will need to buy seperately?

2. Several of the "direct ipod connect" stereos mention that the device can use a usb flashdrive just as it would for an ipod. Is that true on this model as well? ATM I do not have an ipod anymore and would absolutely love the ability to use a cheap flashdrive.

3. Are there any additional parts that I will need to install it that are not included in the kit?

Thats about all I can think of, any help would be great =)

lordvader129

• Archived User
Stereo Upgrade!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »

the comments say the radio works with flash drives, however the radio wont come with any mounting accessories you might need, such as sizing kits

also, youll need to get a ford wiring harness (the radiow ill only come with the end that plugs into the radio)

lastly it appears your stereo (2001 ranger) isnt double din, but rather the funky ford size stereo, heres a fitting kit from sony: http://sm.crutchfiel...it.html?tp=5860

buttface96

• Archived User
Stereo Upgrade!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 01:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Dec 12 2008, 07:55 PM) View Post

the comments say the radio works with flash drives, however the radio wont come with any mounting accessories you might need, such as sizing kits

also, youll need to get a ford wiring harness (the radiow ill only come with the end that plugs into the radio)

lastly it appears your stereo (2001 ranger) isnt double din, but rather the funky ford size stereo, heres a fitting kit from sony: http://sm.crutchfiel...it.html?tp=5860

Ok so it looks like I need the wiring harness (here)

and the fitting kit from sony will match up for a pioneer aftermarket stereo? Or would i need a pioneer branded fitting kit to work with my pioneer stereo?

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Stereo Upgrade!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »

I don't see why a Sony sizing kit wouldn't work with a pioneer.

aftermarket stereos are typically single din or double din (and a few rare instance of din and a half) and they all use the same mounting points...

the sizing kit is more to adapt a generic aftermarket unit to a specific factory dashboard.

if you need this stuff sooner you can go to your local best buy/circuit city... or even walmart. (anywhere that sells car stereos)

most of the time they wont sell the harnesses on their website but I know even my crappy little walmart has most of the harnesses for popular cars on a rack right next to the stereos there... circuit city/sears/best buy/etc might not even have these on a shelf, but if you ask someone in the car audio department they'll be able to find one to sell to you.

sizing kits might be a little harder to track down locally but for any place that does installs there is a higher chance that they'll have them in stock... they might not even have them on a shelf but if you go in and ask they'll be able to pull one out from the garage and ring you up.

Boddah

• Archived User
Stereo Upgrade!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 01:53:00 AM »

I highly recommend http://sonicelectronix.com for any car audio/video equipment. I've ordered about $1000 worth of stuff from them for my truck, and I've always had great service with them. Any time you order a receiver from them, you get a free mounting kit and wiring harness with it. With a double-DIN, they'll give you a kit that has a pocket that goes above/below the receiver (depending on your setup/preference), which can be nice for storing stuff like an iPod. They even have good mounting setups for 1.5 DIN receivers (hooray for Chrysler/Dodge stock radios...).

buttface96

• Archived User
Stereo Upgrade!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(Boddah @ Dec 19 2008, 01:29 AM) View Post

I highly recommend http://sonicelectronix.com for any car audio/video equipment. I've ordered about $1000 worth of stuff from them for my truck, and I've always had great service with them. Any time you order a receiver from them, you get a free mounting kit and wiring harness with it. With a double-DIN, they'll give you a kit that has a pocket that goes above/below the receiver (depending on your setup/preference), which can be nice for storing stuff like an iPod. They even have good mounting setups for 1.5 DIN receivers (hooray for Chrysler/Dodge stock radios...).

Well "Santa" had already bought the main reciever unit already so I informed "Santa" of the extra parts needed and I believe he bought them from the other site that vader posted. But next time I will check out that site instead.

Thanks for all the input. I'm sure I will be back on here posting Christmas morning of the install results, or asking for help troubleshooting it lol