xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 300zx Calipers  (Read 204 times)

deilzfcjk

• Archived User
300zx Calipers
« on: October 03, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »

Here's something I picked up for my 240sx(s13 coupe) today.  TwinTurbo 30mm Aluminum calipers. The lighter unsprung weight is good for my car's total weight reduction.

IPB Image

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
300zx Calipers
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 02:19:00 PM »

Nice

i picked up a set for my 240 a while back but haven't got around to installing them yet.

you'll need to pickup some rotors and conversion lines as well.

I've mostly delayed installing mine because I want to get them powder coated and then rebuild them first
there's a good rebuild tutorial here:
http://www.nicoclub....s.php?id=215854

having an S13 you're lucky since the BMC is already proportioned properly for 300zx calipers on the front with factory rears. though if you haven't done a 5 lug swap you're looking at re-drilling your rotors.

deilzfcjk

• Archived User
300zx Calipers
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 12:46:00 AM »

I didn't know that the Brake Master cylinder for the S14 and S13 were different. I want to powdercoat mine as well. I'm not really doing anything yet...because I am looking for a set of rims that will house these massive brakes. I'm running steelies right now.

thanks for the rebuild guide on the 300zx calipers.  When taking it off the 300z, i accidentally unbolted the big 17mm or 14mm bolts that holds the two halves together. Basically, it(the caliper) was just stuck on the rotor, but being the mechanical genius that I am, I thought that somehow that if I unbolted that, it would come off. What happened was that the rotor were rusted and the calipers wouldn't slide off the rotor.  I just ended up whacking it with a hammer. I need to get a rebuild kit now. I didn't want to spend more money on a rebuild kit. Though eventually I would need it since I'm sure the seals are original...and the car that these brakes came off of is 15-17 years old.

P.S. You will love the stopping power. I have rode in a s13 with these on them. It stops like mad. It feels like the chassis is gonna come off the car. 4 extra pistons does wonders. 6 if you did the rear 300zx brake upgrade as well.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
300zx Calipers
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »

if you haven't read it there is a lot of good info on this swap here:
http://importnut.net...zxbrakeswap.htm

it says "definitive" but there is quite a bit of info still missing, most notably the bias of the different BMCs out there as well as information on how the ABS computer handles the information, but in terms of just figuring out what all the parts are that you need and general install info it's great.

From my understanding the rear 300zx calipers aren't really needed and it's EXPENSIVE to add them because you have to convert the whole e-brake system.

the K's Silvia in Japan had 4-pison calipers up front (identical to the Z32 fronts) which is why the swap works so well, the rears are the same as the USDM 240sx rears.

While I'd like to get them powercoated I've half debated spending the money on a media-blaster instead and then just going with some brush-on brake paint.  having my own blaster would be quite useful for combating rust too tongue.gif though I'm not sure if brakes are a good place to dip my feet in it for the first time unsure.gif

technically I could just install them now as is since I've got brand new Brembo rotors and a set of stainless conversion lines (and my S14's an SE so it's got big enough wheels for it) but I'd rather pretty them up first  happy.gif