xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Chevrolet Volt Got Ugly :(  (Read 235 times)

yaazz

• Archived User
Chevrolet Volt Got Ugly :(
« on: September 21, 2008, 09:49:00 AM »

So I saw the Chevrolet Volt concept a while back and was amazed at how sexy it looked. It had all the sexy lines of an American muscle car, but the fuel economy of a lawnmower! It seemed perfect and I honestly planned to buy one. I figured the rediculously cheap fuel would offset the extra cost.

Unfortunately, This
(IMG:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/41/Chevrolet-Volt-DC.jpg/800px-Chevrolet-Volt-DC.jpg)

Turned into this......
(IMG:http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/09/03_voltlive_opt.jpg)

Some sort of ugly Accord/Prius love child. If I'm going to pay out the ass for a car it better look sexy, and this does not...   GM you were on the right track, but apparently you were going down the track in the wrong direction. '

What do you people think?

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »

personally if you compare the two sure its not as pretty. I dont think it looks bad at all. If you thought it was going to be a sports car you were sadly mistaken.

This isnt GMs first concept->production let down

the one i remember seeing at the detroit auto show when I was 7 or 8 was the sunfire

concept:
(IMG:http://www.carstyling.ru/resources/concept/94pontiac_sunfire_1.jpg)

actuality:
(IMG:http://www.tcarohio.com/custom/sunfire97.jpg)

mx5xm

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 05:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(lostboyz @ Sep 21 2008, 11:32 PM) *

It's that the thing that's up for the lead in Shrek 4?

I think the new Volt is much better for GM than the original. Sure they would have sold a few to people who thought it looking muscle-car stylish, but how many commuters and soccer moms need that. People who want muscle car looks should buy muscle cars.

yaazz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 04:54:00 PM »

I thought that sunfire looked awesome til i noticed the mirrors... wow what an ugly car.
Why should someone who wants to drive a sexy looking car have to suffer through low milage and high gas prices?

mx5xm

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 12:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(yaazz @ Sep 24 2008, 12:54 AM) *

I thought that sunfire looked awesome til i noticed the mirrors... wow what an ugly car.
Why should someone who wants to drive a sexy looking car have to suffer through low milage and high gas prices?

A lot of sexy cars do get good gas mileage, but with the Volt there is significant R&D costs, marketing, advertising, etc which means GM is going to have to make a significant impact with said vehicle to begin to recoup some of those costs to make a sexy car later. The more people who can be interested in the Volt right off the bat opens the gates for more to follow.

The original Volt look was a lot of throwback to the Camaro styling and such. I suspect people who like that style would be better suited for Camaros. I don't want to find kids in their mom's Chevy Volt wanting to drag race at stop signs. There's enough of that with 4-bangers already. GM is making the Volt more accessible and those who liked the Volts looks can still purchase the neutered version of the Camaro.

Tesla is making a fully electric roadster if you really want to throw money around

a squirrel

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 04:51:00 AM »

As much as I liked the original concept car, I knew the final build would not look anything like it. However, it doesn't look that bad, much better than a Prius in my opinion. Also, depending on the price, I may be interested in one as my current car gets a whopping 8-12 MPG city...not good.

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 09:51:00 PM »

this is probably a smart move for chevy, making it look like the camaro's little brother is going to lead to certain expectations from consumers, and when it doesnt perform like a camaro it will have a poor reception, even if it is a great car car for what its designed to do

melongstrike

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »

lostb

you cracked me up with that actually photo. Could you have found a worst picture...

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 12:53:00 AM »

ya i could
IPB Image

yaazz

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 02:28:00 PM »

The orange one doesn't look bad, persay, but why bother spending all that money on a Sunfire?

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »

it looks nicer than my 2000 plymouth neon. i would consider getting a volt depending on

A. how long my neon can hold out
B. what the final price ends up being for a volt

i hope they have it in the same orange that they sell the cobalts in. i hate silver

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(yaazz @ Dec 28 2008, 02:04 PM) View Post

The orange one doesn't look bad, persay, but why bother spending all that money on a Sunfire?

http://www.jerseyric...icken_wire.html