xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Just Bought A New/old Car Today  (Read 363 times)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Just Bought A New/old Car Today
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(mysticrider92 @ Aug 12 2008, 07:41 PM) View Post

That Baja is very cool. What year is it (looks like 69-72)?

An Baja Bug would definitely be my second choice of VW's, but I got interested in Thing's, and pretty much had to have one.

I  think it's a 69... not 100% sure though.

the thing is definitly more unique IMO...

the guy with the bug wasn't even planning on buying it, he saw it for sale for ~$800 and bought it figuring it'd be fun to rallycross  biggrin.gif

mysticrider92

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »

So... this strange yellow VW followed us home from Asheville yesterday.
IPB Image

During the trip (somewhere in the NC mountains):
IPB Image

This morning we pulled it into the garage, stripped it down, and started working.
IPB Image

After a short while, we quickly realized this Thing was well cared for, but had been sitting for a while. As I mentioned earlier, the brakes were terrible. After pulling them apart, we found some almost brand new shoes with a very nice thickness (pads for those of you with them fancy disk brakes...), that were hard as rock from not being used. The master cylinder and drums look almost brand new, which was very good (a new cylinder is $80, and drums are $100 each...). So now we just have to wait for the shoes and wheel cylinders to get here to get her back on the road.

While waiting for parts, I am concentrating on getting the body and pans cleaned up. Surprisingly, despite the messy appearance, the paint is very good, and only needs some TLC to get it back to how it should be. Here is a comparison pic of the area under the windshield frame (much of the car is similar):
IPB Image

There is some rust, mostly on the rear section of the pans. This is cleaning off easily with a wire wheel, which is nice. There are a few pinholes where rust has chewed all the way through, so they will be a little challenging, but not too bad (we plan to just fill them in using a welder). Interestingly, the right rear pan (where the battery sits) is in better shape than the left rear, which is unusual for an old VW.

Infamous Ob

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »

That's a pretty nice looking/Rare  VW you got there. I'd drive it....lol

mysticrider92

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »

The Thing got some of its first patina today.  biggrin.gif After some clean-up, we hit two really bad rust spots on the body with some Rustoleum just to keep it in reasonable shape until we can get some proper yellow paint. Luckily, they are just two troughs hidden under the back seat, so no one will see it. Not much other progress, except four hours of cleanup work..

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 06:55:00 AM »

that thing is in crazy good shape for its age... I'm guessing you live in the south.  rolleyes.gif

mysticrider92

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Aug 18 2008, 09:31 AM) View Post

that thing is in crazy good shape for its age... I'm guessing you live in the south.  rolleyes.gif

Yep. This Thing is actually from Oregon, it just recently found its way to Asheville, NC. I don't know the whole story behind it, but it was traded to a dealer for a Porsche 356. I can't quite figure that one out, as any 356 is worth four times what a comparable Thing is, but...

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »

That thing is going to be so fun once it's in working order, thats if you don't mind flies being attracted to yellow laugh.gif

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Aug 19 2008, 05:54 PM) View Post

That thing is going to be so fun once it's in working order, thats if you don't mind flies being attracted to yellow laugh.gif

oh for sure, i used to have an dyna rod orange mountain bike when i was young, the wasps loved it  sad.gif
Pages: 1 [2]