xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just Bought A New/old Car Today  (Read 364 times)

mysticrider92

• Archived User
Just Bought A New/old Car Today
« on: August 09, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »

We just got back from putting down the deposit on my first car, a 1973 Volkswagen Thing.  sleep.gif
IPB Image

I have to wait until next Friday to pick up the car. The brakes are basically pathetic (drum brakes that need a lot of attention), and we don't quite trust the engine to make the 200 mile trip to our house, so we plan to get a tow bar and drag it home behind our Jetta (should be interesting, I will make sure to post a picture  smile.gif ).

For those who haven't heard of this before, it is more or less a "modern" (used loosely) VW Kubelwagen, Germany's equivalent to the WWII Jeep. A fairly small number of these were built for the civilian market (only 29,000 were built for the US during 1973-1974), with a total production of less than 140,000. The car was designed to be a go anywhere, do anything vehicle for the German military, and has very little in the way of creature comforts.

A few more pics:
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »

My buddy has one its a nice little project car. Need to mount a 50 cal up front like it was meant to smile.gif

mysticrider92

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(lostboyz @ Aug 9 2008, 07:46 PM) View Post

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »

Nice looks totally different from the Beetle's we have, looks like it needs a bit of work. Make sure you keep the original colours though, and don't stick any crappy sport labels on it pleaseee.keep it original. I'm sure you will.

I have my eye on a certain VW Polo, can buy it for £2K I know it through a friend to, seems my first car might be a VW to biggrin.gif.

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »

aw nice one mate those things are sweet.

i used to watch a program about a couple of VW nuts and they used one of these for a dragster, managed to get sub 11s i think..

mysticrider92

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Aug 10 2008, 10:52 AM) View Post

Nice looks totally different from the Beetle's we have, looks like it needs a bit of work. Make sure you keep the original colours though, and don't stick any crappy sport labels on it pleaseee.keep it original. I'm sure you will.

I want to keep it fairly original. Some of the parts have been already replaced with repro (the soft top) and Bug parts (the exhaust and a few engine pieces). The factory yellow paint will most likely stay, but it will need a lot of cleaning and maybe a respray at some point.

Grim: The stock 0-60mph time is around 23 seconds, so a dragster Thing would take a lot of work. But with a Type 4 engine and low-geared tranny, I don't really doubt 11 second quarter miles. There are plenty of Bug's and Ghia's running in the 10's.

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(mysticrider92 @ Aug 10 2008, 08:10 PM) View Post

Grim: The stock 0-60mph time is around 23 seconds, so a dragster Thing would take a lot of work. But with a Type 4 engine and low-geared tranny, I don't really doubt 11 second quarter miles. There are plenty of Bug's and Ghia's running in the 10's.

oh yeah it was far from original, i beleive it even had part space frame, thing was nuts though

commandersafi

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 02:16:00 PM »

Dude that thing is awesome. Just keep it original and well maintained maybe it will be worth a bit of money later on

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 04:20:00 AM »

IPB Image

Is that a hair dryer in the back?

mysticrider92

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 07:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Aug 11 2008, 06:56 AM) View Post

Is that a hair dryer in the back?

No, but it does kinda look like one... Honestly, I am not sure what it is, but it says VW on the side. I am guessing it is some sort of blower for the engine cooling, but it doesn't look like it belongs to the car.

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 10:03:00 AM »

looks like a filter box to me.

thatd be my bet since the one on the engine don't look stock, i don't know jack about veedubs though.

mysticrider92

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(grim_d @ Aug 11 2008, 12:39 PM) View Post

looks like a filter box to me.

thatd be my bet since the one on the engine don't look stock, i don't know jack about veedubs though.

I think that is what it is (not sure what I was thinking when I said blower..). Some later-model Bug engines had the box like that, while it isn't as common on earlier engines (from what I have seen). That is a stock generic VW engine in the car, but we don't know what it came from (it isn't an original Thing engine from what I can tell).

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 08:13:00 AM »

awesome... I love those THINGs  biggrin.gif

A buddy of mine just bought a baja bug... same color even.

IPB Image
IPB Image

mysticrider92

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Aug 12 2008, 10:49 AM) View Post

awesome... I love those THINGs  biggrin.gif

A buddy of mine just bought a baja bug... same color even.

That Baja is very cool. What year is it (looks like 69-72)?

An Baja Bug would definitely be my second choice of VW's, but I got interested in Thing's, and pretty much had to have one.

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »

Things are very cool.  I wanted to get one, way back in the day..(sheesh prolly 20 years ago) but had trouble finding one in decent shape.  I ended up getting a  Steyr Puch Haflinger though which was awesome, yet not really street legal. sad.gif

BTW that black thing in the back seat is a factory veedub air filter housing.  Maybe not original for your Thing, but it is an original VW part.
Pages: [1] 2