xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Father Perhaps Getting A New Car  (Read 397 times)

commandersafi

• Archived User
Father Perhaps Getting A New Car
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »

My only concern with the Porsches clutchless manual is dont you still have to cycle through the gears? I mean, i'm sure its fast at changing gears and all since its still a manual just with no clutch, but how does it compare to being able to drop into any specific gear you want at any moment. Maybe i'm thinking too much into it and when you want to downshift from 4th to 2nd you hit the paddle twice and it does the rest for you but idk.

Also I was curious about how you start moving a manual clutchless car? Normally you give some gas and ease out of the clutch...i'm assuming it does it all for you now and you just give it gas like a auto?

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 07:51:00 AM »

most modern sports cars use a "drive by wire" throttle.

this means that unlike older cars where the gas pedal is attached to a cable that opens and closes the throttle drive by wire cars simply have a sensor on the pedal and the computer controls the actual throttle body.

this Porsche system as well as the one on the new GT-R both use drive by wire throttle...

so when you shift it actually blips the throttle for you and RPM matches.

When coming to a dead stop the computer knows the minimum engine speed and will disengage the clutch. Starting from a dead stop it will manage the throttle and clutch until it's fully engaged.

commandersafi

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »

Oh wow thanks twisted that makes sense. I'm all for the full manual with clutch and all but this "clutchless" manual is really sparking my interest lol. I just thought all of the cars that were auto and manual were just "suggested" manual

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »

I love having a clutch but after you see a rally spec sti shift through gears getting ready  for a long drift you can see that going from 5th to 2nd isnt all that important.

I also concur the sports shifters (most auto mazdas have them) are cool for about 5 minutes then you just pop it back to automatic and just wish you had bought a manual
Pages: 1 [2]