xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Father Perhaps Getting A New Car  (Read 396 times)

bucko

• Recovered User
Father Perhaps Getting A New Car
« on: August 01, 2008, 08:59:00 AM »

Automatic transmission (I know, I know.. probably a waste with cars like these.. but that's what he wants.. though he does know how to drive a manual)

Although I don't have a car my self and I'm still learning, I've been well informed that a manual is much more economical than an automatic. You say you want an eco friendly car but you can save a few MPG on a manual.

So at least get him to consider it, because for example you wont be going into high revs all the time and you can change at an earlier rev so you can save a bit a fuel, and there is also the plus if you need to overtake you can drop back a gear and gain power to overtake, something I've been told is very difficult to do in an automatic (for example overtaking a lorry).

sicknasty413

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »

Well.. he purchased the Acura TL today. lol. Everything done for $25000. The car has 30xxx miles on it. Leather seats. Memory seats. 3.2 VTEC. Dual-zone climate control. Can also manually shift gears (put the shifter on the little M next to the D.. lol)

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I drove it some today... just for a little. Seemed pretty nice. Breaks are super sensitive compared to mine.. but my car is like 30 years old. lol

P.S. In some of the pics.. you can see my Ub3rmobile! *sigh* My car sucks. lol

commandersafi

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »

How does the manual gear changing work in that car? Like where do you move the shifter in that last pic to shift?

And i hear you on the brake sensitivity. My cousin left her new altima at our house while she went on a cruise and i was trying to move it into the driveway yesterday. I pushed the brakes like i do on my stang and that altima slammed me forward...Everybody was looking at me like wtf is that kid doing laugh.gif

mysticrider92

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(sicknasty413 @ Aug 1 2008, 03:26 PM) View Post

I drove it some today... just for a little. Seemed pretty nice. Breaks are super sensitive compared to mine.. but my car is like 30 years old. lol

I guess that is an upscale version of the Honda Accord we just bought. Yes, the brakes are very touchy at first. The first few miles we drove it (me, my mom, and my dad) it always sent you forward some, until you got the feel of it. Give the car a few thousand miles, and they will feel a bit mushy.

Safi: That is the new "semi-auto" style tranny. Once you push the lever into the "M" position, you can push it forward or backward. Each tap forward upshifts, backward taps downshift. It is pretty much a clutchless sequential gearbox. So you can't drop from 4th to 2nd for a turn, you have to go through each gear. It is pretty much a civilized Formula 1 transmission, except it isn't paddle shifted.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 02:31:00 PM »

3.2L? economical blink.gif anyway very nice car biggrin.gif (borat voice...verrry nice).

commandersafi

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(mysticrider92 @ Aug 1 2008, 03:25 PM) View Post

I guess that is an upscale version of the Honda Accord we just bought. Yes, the brakes are very touchy at first. The first few miles we drove it (me, my mom, and my dad) it always sent you forward some, until you got the feel of it. Give the car a few thousand miles, and they will feel a bit mushy.

Safi: That is the new "semi-auto" style tranny. Once you push the lever into the "M" position, you can push it forward or backward. Each tap forward upshifts, backward taps downshift. It is pretty much a clutchless sequential gearbox. So you can't drop from 4th to 2nd for a turn, you have to go through each gear. It is pretty much a civilized Formula 1 transmission, except it isn't paddle shifted.

Hmm...I don't know if i could ever own a "semi-auto"  car. I mean..whats the point in being able to shift gears if you can't go down to the gear you want....nothing beats the joy of double clutch heel-toe downshifting to second through those sharp turns at high speeds laugh.gif

sk8phreak88

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(commandersafi @ Aug 1 2008, 04:58 PM) View Post

..nothing beats the joy of double clutch heel-toe downshifting to second through those sharp turns at high speeds laugh.gif

Wait, didn't you say you drive a mudstang? Those aren't fast in the corners.  tongue.gif  

**(Neither is my Z28)**

Nice car, but he shoulda stuck out for a Type S 6 Speed! Those cars are amazing.

commandersafi

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »

Yeah i have a mustang....and it's pretty fast at corners. I just love whipping around corners. It gets the blood pumping lol

What do you have done to your z28?

sk8phreak88

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »

When I think of going fast in the corners, its on my Bike or in an AWD sedan.   wink.gif

I've Got the SS hood and intake Read: Ram air hood and intake
SLP LT Headers to a blow master exhaust system.. Sounds awesome but the flowmaster garbage is the most restrictive. Though it sounds amazing.
B&M Short throw shifter.
3.43's in the back.

This winter comes the fun stuff..
Lloyd Elliot Port works Stage 2. Head and cam kit.
Port and polish on the new heads, and on the intake.
And the one I'm most happy about...
4.10's out back.  biggrin.gif

After these, I should be in the 400-430 RWHP range. Them I'm done with the Old LT1.

And yes, If you can't tell. I don't care about my gas mileage. Thats what my bike is for. smile.gif

commandersafi

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(sk8phreak88 @ Aug 1 2008, 07:26 PM) View Post

When I think of going fast in the corners, its on my Bike or in an AWD sedan.   wink.gif

I've Got the SS hood and intake Read: Ram air hood and intake
SLP LT Headers to a blow master exhaust system.. Sounds awesome but the flowmaster garbage is the most restrictive. Though it sounds amazing.
B&M Short throw shifter.
3.43's in the back.

This winter comes the fun stuff..
Lloyd Elliot Port works Stage 2. Head and cam kit.
Port and polish on the new heads, and on the intake.
And the one I'm most happy about...
4.10's out back.  biggrin.gif

After these, I should be in the 400-430 RWHP range. Them I'm done with the Old LT1.

And yes, If you can't tell. I don't care about my gas mileage. Thats what my bike is for. smile.gif

Nice man, i don't care about gas mileage either....I get like 13 mpg lol.

All I have is:
K&N SRI intake
Port & polished upper and lower
dual exhaust (custom one from local exhaust shop not brand name)
3.73's in the back
And a JET performance chip

commandersafi

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(sicknasty413 @ Aug 2 2008, 12:47 AM) View Post

Well since y'all like to jack my thread.. haha jk, jk.. what kinda upgrades/etc could I/my pops/whomever do to this vehicle? Like I previously mentioned, I'm not really a car person at all. (Well.. I like 'em.. just not very knowledgeable about 'em. ha.)

P.S. I was just lookin' at the pics.. and they're pretty damn good from being from my phone O_O

Haha sorry about that sicknasty laugh.gif

And no, i don't know any upgrades for that car. I don't know much about imports as i'm all for domestic cars biggrin.gif

But i do have your dyno sheet
IPB Image

mysticrider92

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 07:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(commandersafi @ Aug 1 2008, 06:58 PM) View Post

Hmm...I don't know if i could ever own a "semi-auto"  car. I mean..whats the point in being able to shift gears if you can't go down to the gear you want....nothing beats the joy of double clutch heel-toe downshifting to second through those sharp turns at high speeds laugh.gif

The Porsche version of this transmission can complete each shift in 0.2 seconds. Basically two back taps and you have dropped from fifth to third for a turn, a quick tap into forth then back to fifth... It kinda gives you the control of a manual with the ease of an automatic. But, I too much prefer a clutch, it makes you feel more 'connected' to the car and in control of it. Just make sure you have a lot of patience before teaching someone to shift a manual tranny (a clutch or two to spare wouldn't hurt)... Sorry bout the off topic.

I like that dyno sheet btw..   laugh.gif

As for mods to an Acura. That thing is to upscale to hang a Folgers can or one-size-fits-all tail on, so that really limits your options (yes, we own a Honda). I have been impressed with the factory sound system in ours. I wouldn't really consider anything to the engine, these cars aren't that type. I really can't think of anything.

commandersafi

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(mysticrider92 @ Aug 2 2008, 08:46 AM) View Post

The Porsche version of this transmission can complete each shift in 0.2 seconds. Basically two back taps and you have dropped from fifth to third for a turn, a quick tap into forth then back to fifth... It kinda gives you the control of a manual with the ease of an automatic. But, I too much prefer a clutch, it makes you feel more 'connected' to the car and in control of it. Just make sure you have a lot of patience before teaching someone to shift a manual tranny (a clutch or two to spare wouldn't hurt)... Sorry bout the off topic.

I like that dyno sheet btw..   laugh.gif

i just dont know if i could ever do that...like you said with a clutch you feel much more "connected" to the car. And i taught my sister how to drive standard, but on my dads cars....i would never let her drive mine

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 11:45:00 PM »

The transmission in the Porsche is a manual transmission with a computer controlled mechanical clutch.

the transmission in the Acura is an automatic with the option to "suggest" which gear it should be in.

Auto-tragics suck because they use a fluid clutch aka, torque converter (hence the term "slush box"), which reduces your performance as well as your mileage, as well as the responsiveness of the drive train. They also such because the gears are shifted with a complex system of hydrolics which is horribly unresponsive.

about the only thing the Porsche transmission and the one in the Acura have in common is the lack of a clutch pedal... but that's where the similarities end.  rolleyes.gif

"Manually shifting" in the Accura is analogous to sitting in the passenger's seat and telling the driver how to shift. you're not really in control, if you over rev it, or slow down too much the car will ignore what you told it and shift for you... similarly it doesn't actually shift when you tell it to.. it has to think it over a second before it gets around to letting you tell it what to do.

....  they're nice cars but don't confuse a "manu-matic" slush box for a computer controlled racing clutch.

as for "mods" the first thing I'd do is trash all that dead weight plastic under the hood... I mean seriously WTF blink.gif
it's not really a car you "mod" though... it's just a car you just drive around in, it's pretty much devoid of enthusiast qualities.
if you really wanted to do something though, replacing the suspension bits, wheels and tires will go a long way to improving the handling.

mysticrider92

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 01:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Aug 3 2008, 02:21 AM) View Post

The transmission in the Porsche is a manual transmission with a computer controlled mechanical clutch.

the transmission in the Acura is an automatic with the option to "suggest" which gear it should be in.
Auto-tragics suck because they use a fluid clutch aka, torque converter (hence the term "slush box"), which reduces your performance as well as your mileage, as well as the responsiveness of the drive train. They also such because the gears are shifted with a complex system of hydrolics which is horribly unresponsive.

about the only thing the Porsche transmission and the one in the Acura have in common is the lack of a clutch pedal... but that's where the similarities end.  rolleyes.gif

Ah, I didn't know that.. I knew Porsche added that tranny to their cars then everyone else copied (or bought a license to) the clutchless idea, but I never looked into it much. Thanks for clarifying.
Pages: [1] 2