xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: First Car Run Around Ideas?  (Read 927 times)

bucko

• Recovered User
First Car Run Around Ideas?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2008, 08:57:00 AM »

http://www.volkswage...mpare/overview/

VW Fox looks awesome £6430 wouldn't be to bad on finance.

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Jul 9 2008, 04:33 PM) View Post

http://www.volkswage...mpare/overview/

VW Fox looks awesome £6430 wouldn't be to bad on finance.

i love those little foxes! never see enough of them on the roads, whihc is surprising considering how cheap they are.

TBH i would spend the extra and get the 1.4 petrol, 1.2's are very very sluggish, couldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding.

whatever you choose, spend the £60 extra for the colour pack so your have body coloured bumpers and mirrors

and if you want alloys i wouldnt spend nearly £600 for their ones, you could get some very smart 15's for that kind of money.

just my opinion laugh.gif

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »

Well I'm thinking of getting the 1.2 since it's lower Co2 emissions and road tax would be cheaper under the new Co2 scheme, my mate has a VW Polo 1.0 and it don't feel sluggish at all imho so I'm not to worried about power I just want to get from A to B really.

Ill get the dark blue probably it looks great, I'm not fussed about all the extras, only luxury pack ill get is the pack 1 with electric wing mirrors and central locking.

My mate is going to take me to a VW place tomoz so I can look at one and ill try and be the passenger when he test drives it for me since I aint passed my test. At least that will give me a taster if I like it or not.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »

If you don't go with it, take a look at some economy toyota models.  The cars are very reliable and do pretty decent for gas.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »

Ya there was a toyato and fiat garage near we looked at them to, didn't test drive the fox but I sat in the driving seat it was nice and I got some brouchers on the fox and polo..

I'm kinda bummed though been looking on tesco comparison sites and insurance is working on average of a £1000+ a year sad.gif. But I'm gonna see if it's better for my parents to buy the car and I pay them back (I have some money) and they make me as a named driver..(edit, was on the phone to the insurance company and it turns out that can be illegal if i'm the only driver and as a named driver and it's my car, how crap).

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2008, 09:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Jul 10 2008, 04:02 AM) View Post

my mate has a VW Polo 1.0 and it don't feel sluggish at all imho so I'm not to worried about power I just want to get from A to B really.

weel c what you say in 6 months time laugh.gif

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(grim_d @ Jul 10 2008, 05:26 PM) View Post

weel c what you say in 6 months time laugh.gif

tongue.gif I think you need to understand 1.4 will be over £1000 I can't afford that I put in 1996 Polo 1.0 and that was £861 so it's getting better shame I can't get a newer car it's just if it's more power i just wont be able to afford it, plain and simple.

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »

i was meaning your attitude will change, you will WANT something faster regardless of wether or not you can afford it. laugh.gif most people start off saying "oh asw long as it gets me from a to B" but not even being able to overtake tractors, or having to make people get out so you can get up steep hills gets annoying very fast, it becomes much an issue of practicality as opposed to speed.

Anyway, what insurance company are you getting quotes from? have you added your mum to the policy? have you tried elephant? they are BY FAR the cheapest around.

insurance WILL be high as you will be a new driver and theres nothing you can do about it, so just grit your teeth and pay it, if you have yourself a NCB after a year it will drop significantly, then again after 2 years and then it really doesnt seem so bad

im 21 with 1 years NCB and 3 points on my licence on a group 7 car and i only pay £425 fully comp with hire car cover (not courtesy car, they are different) and a ditsy £150 excess.

Just have to bide your time buddy,

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »

Naa this 1.0Ltr Polo I was in had more than enough power for me...max I'd go up to is 1.2 it's just simply to much on insurance and the last thing i'd want is points on my license from speed cameras, I will certainly not be taking that attitude since I will most likely crash, I don't even like the 1.9TDI car I'm learning in, it's well to fast, I've been using Tesco Comparison site it's pretty good like I said if i add my parents it will be illegal since it's my car and i'm the only driver so i have to be the main policy holder.

the only thing i'm going to try is make a new account and say that I'm 22 (will be in feb) and see what that comes out as and it's kinda weird, fully comp insurance is working out cheaper than third party fire and theft.

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2008, 03:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Jul 10 2008, 08:53 PM) View Post

I've been using Tesco Comparison site it's pretty good like I said if i add my parents it will be illegal since it's my car and i'm the only driver so i have to be the main policy holder.

ADD your mum as a second driver to YOUR policy. It's not illegal in any way, shape or form, i do it, my mates do it, LOTS of people do it and 9 times out of 10 it will knock a few hundered quid off your price.

mysticrider92

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2008, 10:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Jul 8 2008, 06:54 PM) View Post
I'm now looking into the idea of possiblity getting a newish car on loan..like if I pay so much back each month, I've been advised to do it as a first car because you get all the warranty and everything else with it (ill just have to make sure I pay it back)..

I have heard for a first car it is better to be able to pay everything up front. It is (usually) a pretty big purchase, and that looks really good on your credit report in the future. Plus you don't have to worry about the monthly debt. But, on the other hand, getting something new and reliable (or at least that warranty) is a good thing...

You have some interesting little cars over there. That VW Fox doesn't have an auto tranny as an option, over here it is near impossible to find a stick shift on a new car.  mad.gif  And you still have AC as an option (power waster in my opinion, fresh air is much better)

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »

Yaa I've decided I'm going to start saving, I have my £1,500 building on interest so thats a start, hopefully by the time i finish uni I will have around £6,000 (ill just save my overtime). And another £1,000 for insurance..I think the thing to do now is to start saving. Then your right I can pay it up front and then ill be working full time so ill be able to afford it...sorry if I've been sounding a bit negative I have this stupid sore throat and cold and it's putting me in the dumps lol.

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Jul 12 2008, 06:20 PM) View Post

will have around £6,000 (ill just save my overtime). And another £1,000 for insurance

thats exactly what i'm doing, cept i'll be spending ~£6,000 on a 15 year old car  ph34r.gif

commandersafi

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2008, 02:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(mysticrider92 @ Jul 11 2008, 11:36 PM) View Post

You have some interesting little cars over there. That VW Fox doesn't have an auto tranny as an option, over here it is near impossible to find a stick shift on a new car.  mad.gif  And you still have AC as an option (power waster in my opinion, fresh air is much better)

I don't know about Cali, but there are plenty of new cars that are stick here. I probably won't ever drive an automatic car....Manual is so much more fun to drive biggrin.gif

mysticrider92

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2008, 11:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(commandersafi @ Jul 13 2008, 04:41 AM) View Post

I don't know about Cali, but there are plenty of new cars that are stick here. I probably won't ever drive an automatic car....Manual is so much more fun to drive biggrin.gif

I live in South Carolina. We were trying to find a stick shift in a new family car (2005+), and couldn't find much of anything. I too much prefer manual tranny's, they give a whole lot more control over the car. Plus, the automatics seem to make drivers more lazy (frees up one hand for a cell phone, while the other holds a cigarette...).

Sorry for the off-topic, I just found those cars to be quite interesting.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6