xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: >>tutorial<< Atx Psu On Xbox Mobo For V1.0-v1.6  (Read 232 times)

Mark Morgan

• Archived User
>>tutorial<< Atx Psu On Xbox Mobo For V1.0-v1.6
« on: December 21, 2005, 07:52:00 AM »

Hey all

you may have seen my other post but here is the tutorial:)

IPB Image

Items required:
 soldering iron
 solder
 Parts on list (im a link)
 ATX psu or ATX extention cable
 cutters
 ATX and XBOX psu outputs

method:
 cut the cables on you ATX psu 4 inches from the plug or cut the extention in half
 tin all the wires
 connect each wire from ATX psu to its corresponding spot on XBOX mobo except ones needed in the circuit
         ignor the wires you dont need(eg. -12v, -5v)
 assemble ciruit depending on version
 use heat shrink tube or electrical tape to prevent shorts
 assemble xbox
 turn on and enjoy the ATXness dry.gif

any questions or kit(pcb and parts) requests(im in australia) PM me or email me at mark.isda.king(at)gmail.com

good luck

-Mark Morgan

EDIT: the v1.0 - v1.5 has been tested by myself but the v1.6 has not

hippo

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 09:57:00 AM »

It's a simple cuircuit it looks like r3 should actually be 2 diodes? Isn't if dropping 5v to 3.3v?

Mark Morgan

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 10:25:00 AM »

there are 2 diodes(zener diodes) dry.gif

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=468564
there are some pics in that link. they are temporary though and when i get my order of pcb's i will take construction pics of the final version.

thanks for the feedback

-Mark Morgan

iminsane0

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 11:03:00 PM »

just an electronics question:(or two)

What do transistors do
wats a zener diode
and wat are the little things that are like a circle/cylinder and have wire wrapped around them? i saw them on my xbox psu and mb...

nice tut  wink.gif

Clubmed112

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 11:05:00 PM »

hey, i have a v1.6 xbox i am about to do this too. Basically, i have a few questions though. 1. Did you mean 4.7k ohm resistor? because i could not find any 4k7 resistors, do you have a link to any? 2. not sure what power rating of the NPN transistor that i was sapposed to get, so i got the highest, mine says: Power Dissipation: 75w. is this to high? not high enough? could you tell me exactly which transistor i would need? thats about all my questions for now, and thank you for making a usable diagram, most are wayyy to hard to read.

Mark Morgan

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 11:31:00 PM »

google the parts as i cant explain them properly and i would want you thinking the wrong thing

4k7 is another way of writing 4.7k

the one i am using is less then half a watt(either 100mW or 200mW)

keep me informed on your progress

-Mark Morgan

hippo

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 05:11:00 AM »

Most hacks use 2 diodes in series to drop 5v to 3.3v.

Mark Morgan

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 06:17:00 AM »

yes this is not your ordinary hack. it drops the 5v to 3.3v a different way and it also inverts the pwnon signal. these are both needed to get it working correctly

Mark Morgan

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 09:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(Mark Morgan @ Dec 22 2005, 09:24 PM) View Post

yes this is not your ordinary hack. it drops the 5v to 3.3v a different way and it also inverts the pwnon signal. these are both needed to get it working correctly

PWRON***

Clubmed112

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 10:02:00 PM »

ok that clears up the 4k7 resistor, now i'm still not sure what power rating i need on the transistor. All you've listed on your parts chart is NPN, and there are many different NPN transistors. Also, this is for the 1.6 version, so your sure things should be allright?
Also for the "start" wire, i assume you mean the 3.3v standby on the xbox? In other words, the blue wire according to this diagram? http://pablot.com/in...box&submenu=psu

Also in your link above, you list a F2N 5770 transistor, will this work for my 1.6?

Clubmed112

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 12:22:00 AM »

Sorry for the shit load of questions, however i don't wanna F things up. Heres my progress:
I built my circuit, just haven't soldered in a trandsistor yet, waiting on which one i need.
I am about to start wiring it in to my power supply and all that. If you all want i can take a few pics, i got my project board pretty smally so it shouldn't take much room.

Clubmed112

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 02:16:00 AM »

one more question, on the atx power supplys there is a wire that is pwr-ok and pwr-on, which one do is wire in as the start wire in the diagram?

Clubmed112

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2005, 07:11:00 AM »

ok well looks like i'm the only one posting or something. But this is where i am, i've got everything hooked up and wired, however when i turn on my power supply (i'm using an m1-atx) it will turn on the xbox automatically, its not atcullay not turing on, just the fan will power up, and it just sits there, ii'm thinking this could be the standby mode? When i jit the power button on the xbox, it will do nothing. it should only turn on automatically when i have the j6 wire connected to the mono on switch. I currently have this setup with my computer, so i am just power the m1-atx from the computer.  Remember i have a v1.6 xbox, i may try it with my v1.5 just for the hell of it. All i have is the hard drive in there, and the fan running of 12v. i think the m1-atx can handle that.

Someone told me to use a 1k resistor in place of the 4.7k, not sure why, but i may try that too, i think cause i have such a high wattage transistor.

Hope someone posts and can help me out. Thx a lot guys.

Mark Morgan

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2005, 11:06:00 AM »

Q1. any npn with a rating of 200mW or higher is fine.

Q2. START = PWRON

make sure they are all connected up properly. also try just connecting the PWRON or start signal directly instead of going throught the circuit. wish i could help more dry.gif

Q3. this is because v1.6 uses 5v on standby therefore no need to reduce the voltage on the power ok signal and the 5v standby is powering the transistor and the START or PWRON is being inverted.

I just reformatted my computer so i have been away all day:|

-Mark Morgan

Clubmed112

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2005, 11:54:00 AM »

Same result, just the fan turns on and the power and eject buttons do nothing. I think it has to do with the power not being all the way on, don't know how to explain that, but seems like the xbox is just booting in standby and can't fully power on. Like the pwrok signal is not getting enough power or something.
Pages: [1] 2 3