xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Looking For A Car  (Read 164 times)

xboxhackern00b

• Archived User
Looking For A Car
« on: March 06, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »

Ok, so I'm 18 and about to graduate in June.  My mom is going to trade in her minivan for 10,000$ and i have about 5,000$ of that plus whatever i can add for a new car.

I want a manual, reliable, something tunable/upgradeable

not really lookin for any hondas

i was thinking about an 80s/90s iroc-z camaro but not sure how much insurance will be for it

sk8phreak88

• Archived User
Looking For A Car
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »

For 15, you should be able to find a much newer camaro.. Atleast arround here you can.

Thats what I would look into though..

Oh yeah, Id also find a lower priced car by a grand or so, and pay off your first year of insurance.  cool.gif

ubernewb

• Archived User
Looking For A Car
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 10:57:00 PM »

not adding the 10 to the 5.. he says he gets 5 of the 10..

you want reliability, but then want a chevy? pishaw... mkIII (86.5-91) supra. just get the non-turbo for reliability. rwd, tons of fun, and easily and cheaply upgradable. and it's not your average ricer ride. people who love muscle should be able appreciate the supra.. if not they're fucking retarded fanboys..

sk8phreak88

• Archived User
Looking For A Car
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(ubernewb @ Mar 7 2007, 12:04 AM) View Post

Oh oh oh, Gotcha. Sorry I read that a little bit wrong.

I'd go with the non-turbo supra option as well..

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Looking For A Car
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 07:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(ubernewb @ Mar 7 2007, 07:04 AM) View Post

you want reliability, but then want a chevy? pishaw... mkIII (86.5-91) supra. just get the non-turbo for reliability. rwd, tons of fun, and easily and cheaply upgradable. and it's not your average ricer ride. people who love muscle should be able appreciate the supra.. if not they're fucking retarded fanboys..

*Puts on Fanboy Hat*

This guy right here managed a 95 Camaro z28 for under 4 grand. And it was worth every last penny and then some.

A N/A Supra IS NOT A MUSCLE CAR. *Bangs stick against wall for effect* And I think the idea of saying I'd (muscle car fan)  think a MK3 supra WITHOUT turbo is cool, is a absolutely WRONG. I've ridden in one. It's an ok car. But there turbos are where it's at on those cars. Same to be said for a Fairlady Z. Beyond that you may as well spend the same money and get a V6 Stang or Camaro that's much newer and with less mileage for the same money.

*Removes Fanboy Hat*

Old Camaros and the like are far too expensive for what you get. At least around here. It's really pathetic. I had a friend looking for one and it was an ordeal. The floor boards seem to rust far too easy. If you're going older I like the foxbody Stang idea. Or even the 94-95 Stang, which has the newer body style, but still the 5.0, which I love. Beyond that maybe you could find a RWD 4 door or wagon on cheap. Think Buick Roadmaster with LT1. Or Caprice Classic. Etc. May be cheaper to insure and even more practical to drive, while still offering a reasonable amount of power and a decent power plant to work with.

ubernewb

• Archived User
Looking For A Car
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 01:02:00 AM »

didn't say that an n/a supra was a muscle car.. just said that muscle guys could appreciate them. they're built a hell of a lot better and are quite a bit more stout than the other typical ricer-kid imports. they'll still roast off some tires as well.. just not as quickly as their fi'd counterparts.

and no, i really wouldn't recommend picking up a stock turbo mkIII.. the 7mgte motor is horrendously unreliable. you'll spend more time turning wrenches than driving it. if you want reliable, pick up a 1j and build that.. then swap her in when it's done. if you really wanna go apeshit, get a 2j and build that.. those motors can be built to put out well over 1000hp. just be prepared to shell out a few bucks for that power. nice thing about the n/a is that she'll be running great until the day you're ready to swap it out.. and she'll still be running great when you swap her back in cuz you blew up your turbo motor when trying to go "just that little bit faster" .. lol

but seriously, an n/a mkIII should only run ya a couple grand.. and for the most part, parts will be fairly cheap for it because imports have such a huge aftermarket scene.

and ps.. since when does someone get a good impression of a car by simply riding in it? guess what, i rode in a camaro and found it really boring. do i think the cars are shit because of that one experience? no.. i just wasn't that impressed with it with how my buddy was driving it... who knows, if i drove the thing around a bit i could find i truly enjoy it.

xboxhackern00b

• Archived User
Looking For A Car
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »

a mustang is a possibility i've found some very nice ones for around 5k

i've also been looking at this
http://denver.craigs.../290435607.html
i know it's a salvage title but it's been rebuilt and the vin verified by state patrol
i think they would take 8 ,000$ cash for it since it's went down from 11,800 to 10,500 in the past week and it doesnt look it would be that hard to go from a salvage title to a regular title
http://www.dmv.org/c...ed-vehicles.php
as long as they have the recepits for the parts

it's 3,000$ over my budget but if this is in good condition it's an amazing deal
im looking at the car on friday

capboy210

• Archived User
Looking For A Car
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »

Well as a daily driver a 99 maxima works just fine for me. I got a decent amount of power with heated seats (nice for Colorado) Bose sound system, side airbags, sunroof, heated mirrors etc.... Only bought it for 7000$

Sounds like you want a faster more sporty like car but the maximas are easy to find, easy to repair, and cheap. There are some manual maximas out there too. Just my input. I will post some pictures to sway your decision  laugh.gif .

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

lostboyz

• Archived User
Looking For A Car
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(xboxhackern00b @ Mar 8 2007, 11:47 AM) View Post

a mustang is a possibility i've found some very nice ones for around 5k

i've also been looking at this
http://denver.craigs.../290435607.html
i know it's a salvage title but it's been rebuilt and the vin verified by state patrol
i think they would take 8 ,000$ cash for it since it's went down from 11,800 to 10,500 in the past week and it doesnt look it would be that hard to go from a salvage title to a regular title
http://www.dmv.org/c...ed-vehicles.php
as long as they have the recepits for the parts

it's 3,000$ over my budget but if this is in good condition it's an amazing deal
im looking at the car on friday

though I love the subee's they are on the high side for maintenance costs. Great cars and all my friends with wrx's and sti's dont have many problems but when they seem to spend a lot of cash. (though they like to ride them pretty hard from time to time)