xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Amp Good Buy Or Not  (Read 108 times)

Shoue

• Archived User
Amp Good Buy Or Not
« on: February 28, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »

im trying to put together a system in my car.  Originally I was planning to get everything together before hand (sub, amp, head unit, speakers) but after a good look at the bank account.. I decided I should wait a couple of months before diving into amps and subs.  However when I getting a package together on crutchfield, I found this... http://www.crutchfie...=113kac8402#Tab
I would get the 50 dollar discount already because I was planning on buying the qualifying kenwood speakers.  

I have not done to much research on amps or subs as of yet... so I was wondering if this amp was even worth my 120 dollars much less the $250 it would have originally gone for.  

I am only planning on running one shitty-average 12" from it.

CJLee89

• Archived User
Amp Good Buy Or Not
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »

what are you going to be powering with that amp? if thats going to power subs then you are going to want a monoblock (single channel) amp for subs. the amp you have listed is for door and rear deck speakers, hince the 4 channels for 2 sets of speakers or 4 speakers. wink.gif unless you have some pretty low powered subs.

you have to find the speakers and/or subs you want and then look into an amp.

also what is the RMS of the 12"? is it single voice coil or dual voice coil?

Shoue

• Archived User
Amp Good Buy Or Not
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »

Actually I haven't done much research at all sadly.  In fact I'm really rushing the whole process haha.  What you said does make a lot of sense though.  The RMS output didn't seem like a lot, even to me.  For my future sub however I was looking into something like this? http://www.amazon.co...m/dp/B0007P0UU8
and im running these in the door and in the back....   any ideas on what kind of AMP i would need to power that decently?

thanks for the fast reply to.

CJLee89

• Archived User
Amp Good Buy Or Not
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »

the sub is a 400 watt RMS. so a 400 watts monoblock amp at RMS. you want to run the lowest ohm impedance as possible. usually 2 or 4 per voice coil. the kicker site wasnt very clear on this. you need to find out what ohm the voice coils are for the kicker sub in order to choose the amp. not all amps will be stable at low impedances.

and for the mids i would get them installed with the head unit and see if you really need an amp. i have a panasonic deck with Memphis PR series all the way around and i dont even need an amp. i mean it wouldnt hurt but it sounds amazing without an amp.