xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Engine Help  (Read 181 times)

CJLee89

• Archived User
Engine Help
« on: February 20, 2007, 06:00:00 PM »

IPB Image
IPB Image

what is the thing circled in red for? when i got in my car wreck i bent that pulley and was going out tomorrow for a replacement. i just wanted to have some knowledge before hand.

FYI, thats not my engine. found pics on the internet.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Engine Help
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »

Power steering pump

CJLee89

• Archived User
Engine Help
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »

thanks man...any idea how much the pulley will cost me at an advance or autozone?

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Engine Help
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(CJLee89 @ Feb 21 2007, 03:32 AM) View Post

thanks man...any idea how much the pulley will cost me at an advance or autozone?

Christ, the whole pump should be under 150 bucks? I cant imagine that a pulley would be that expensive.... IF you can get one by it self. Try checking online.

CJLee89

• Archived User
Engine Help
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »

thanks a bunch.

just looking around online and im seeing pumps without pulleys. so they must be out there somewhere.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Engine Help
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 07:41:00 PM »

Not sure exactly what your car is, but maybe autozone.com?

Or for just a pulley.... local junkyard.

CJLee89

• Archived User
Engine Help
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »

'95 honda civic with a vtec.

yeah i have checked atuozone, advance, and napa and couldnt find anything.

ill keep searching. thanks for the help smile.gif

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Engine Help
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 07:47:00 PM »

If you just need a pulley, Im sure it's 10-15 bucks at your local salvage yard if they can accommodate. If not there's online scrap yards that would be cheap as hell too.

CJLee89

• Archived User
Engine Help
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »

yeah i was looking for something fast because i dont wanna drive it with it bent. it bent kinda bad.

everything is repaired just needs the pulley and an alignment. and we told the guy who did it,  we would take care of it just because i needed the car tomorrow (i got it back this evening) so i am going out tomorrow and looking.

are there any special tools i would need like a puller or something of the sort?

again thanks for the help

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
Engine Help
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »

You pretty much need to find a used pulley, or a new one from the Honda dealership.  Not much chance of getting an aftermarket pulley as they arent typically a wear item.
Its not too hard to change. I think its a 17mm nut with a lock washer. Just put a screwdriver through one of the holes in the pulley to lock it while you turn the nut, and the pulley should just pull off.  You may need to tap it a bit with a hammer.  There is a key on the pump shaft that may fall off, make sure you dont lose it, assemble in reverse order, and your good to go.

CJLee89

• Archived User
Engine Help
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 06:29:00 AM »

thanks puppet.

if i have any problems i have a mechanic i know that will help me out.

thanks for all the help guys. i appreciate. if i cant find one today i am taking my car in for alignment friday into the dealership and i will ask then. i will prolly pay an arm and leg for from the dealership. it might just be cheaper to buy the whole pump at last resort and have the mechanic i know install for me.

thanks again.

CJLee89

• Archived User
Engine Help
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »

i have found out the only way i can get a pulley new is through my local honda dealer. they want $48 for a new one. a new pump at advance auto is $185. im not sure if i need a pump until i put the new pulley on. i need to see if the shaft in the pump is bent.

i have a local used auto parts store that i am calling tomorrow morning to see if they have a used pulley. if all else fails i have to get a new one.

i gotta another question. there are 3 main belts; 1 for A/C, 1 for Alternator, and 1 for the power steering. the belt that drives the power steering pump has no tensioner pulley and i doubt any of the other 2 belts have one. any easy ways to get the belt on and off besides just "forcing" it on?

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Engine Help
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »

There's always some way to take a belt off. You should never force a belt off. Either there's a tensioner somewhere, or the pump itself acts as the adjustment point and can be adjusted in some way itself. Look it over real good, as the belt will not simply stretch off with brute force.

Alex548

• Recovered User
Engine Help
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »

Try ebay. Here's one for $35 + shipping. Click Me
$50 shipped is much better than $185 locally.

The one in the link may not be the one you're looking for. Ask the seller if it's compatible with your Vtec engine before buying.

CJLee89

• Archived User
Engine Help
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(Alex548 @ Feb 22 2007, 07:15 PM) View Post

Try ebay. Here's one for $35 + shipping. Click Me
$50 shipped is much better than $185 locally.

The one in the link may not be the one you're looking for. Ask the seller if it's compatible with your Vtec engine before buying.

i can buy a new pulley for a tiny bit less than that and it would save me from replacing the whole pump if in fact the shaft is not bent. i have to buy a pulley either way i go because the new pumps do not come with one.  if it is bent i will buy something locally whether it be new or used as i dont have a ebay or paypal account and have never used either. thanks anyway.

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Feb 22 2007, 07:03 PM) View Post

There's always some way to take a belt off. You should never force a belt off. Either there's a tensioner somewhere, or the pump itself acts as the adjustment point and can be adjusted in some way itself. Look it over real good, as the belt will not simply stretch off with brute force.

ok. i think that the pump does adjust just like the alternator does. i may have to take some stationary bolts out in order to get the pump to move on the "sliding" bolts. ill just loosen the bolts a tiny bit to move the pump so that the belt is loose enough to get off. thanks