xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Around How Much Should I Spend?  (Read 253 times)

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Around How Much Should I Spend?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »

You forgot to add that having an automatic in an RX-7 is just plain stupid for another reason.  The whole point in having a rotary engine is to have an engine that allows you to crank the hell out of the RPMs without fear of blowing the engine.  If you have a transmission that automatically shifts for you before you even reach the max RPM range it kinda defeats the purpose. wink.gif

sk8phreak88

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »

Plus having a stick is a good reason to not let others drive your vehicles!

"Can I drive?"
"Uhh sure, hand em the keys"
"shit" (person getting out saying they don't know hwo to drive a stick) Happend to me a few times lol but now there all learning slowly so its just plain.. NO
haha

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »

I still say rotaries are unreliable. I'm a Mazda fan. I'd love one myself. But I certainly wouldn't trust it to the extent I trust most piston engines.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Feb 15 2007, 01:26 AM) View Post

I still say rotaries are unreliable. I'm a Mazda fan. I'd love one myself. But I certainly wouldn't trust it to the extent I trust most piston engines.

No arguments from me on that one.  I learned that the hard way with my GXL.  Although I would be curious to see some of the longevity studies on the Renesis that is currently in the RX-8.  That being said I wouldn't turn down and opportunity on a good deal for a 3rd gen, although I would be doing an engine swap of some kind.

VerbalVenom

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007, 06:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Feb 21 2007, 05:29 PM) View Post

No arguments from me on that one.  I learned that the hard way with my GXL.  Although I would be curious to see some of the longevity studies on the Renesis that is currently in the RX-8.  That being said I wouldn't turn down and opportunity on a good deal for a 3rd gen, although I would be doing an engine swap of some kind.

3rd gens are just as bad as 2nd gens. The point is RX7s are UNRELIABLE. I wouldn't waste my time on them unless you've got the money to pay for the repairs or if you like smelling burning oil and seeing a puff of white smoke everytime you rev or shift gears. Yes the rotary has less moving parts than a piston engine but a piston engine isn't one big spring. If it isn't the side seals, it's the side springs. If it isn't either of those it's the apex seals. If it isn't the apex seals it's the apex springs. If it isn't any of that it's the rotor surface rubbing on the housing. If it isn't that it's the bearing becoming egg shaped. If it isn't that it's the corner seals wearing out. If it isn't that it's the oil seals. If it isn't the oil seals, it's the extra amount of oil being burned because the oil pin is stuck at an always open position. If it isnt that it's the engine getting exhaust blowby and being reused for burning. If it's not that it's your engine flooding. I will admit that the RENESIS is an amazing engine. I still think it's prone to the same problems it's counterparts have though. I have 7 friends with FCs and they've all had their problems. Only one friend with an 89 GTU is at 196k and hasn't had any problems. With more engineering they'll be great cars. I think the RENESIS was a great step forward for the Wankel. Still won't convince me to buy one though.
Pages: 1 [2]