xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 2000 Hyundai Elantra Stumbling!  (Read 103 times)

TheGreatVirus

• Archived User
2000 Hyundai Elantra Stumbling!
« on: October 08, 2005, 06:35:00 PM »

I have a 2000 Hyundai Elantra that is stumbling when you are taking off and the check engine light starts blinking then stays on the car does this whenever it slows down and needs to start moving again. Any idea what is causing this?

yaazz

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 05:50:00 PM »

I have to say TGV, I can't picture you driving a hyundai Elantra

iwinulose

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 06:30:00 PM »

it could possibly b your torque convertor
or probably just a crappy transmittion
:P

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 08:31:00 PM »

Or just the fact that it is a Hyundai.   :P   *Jester runs and hides*   :blink:

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 09:00:00 PM »

Spark plugs & wires.  The plugs will likely have carbon traces down the outside of the porcelain from the tip to the hex.  There will also be a corresponding carbon trace inside the spark plug boot (just not visible) so always replace the wires/boots with the plugs.  If the onboard computer is scanned there will likely be a "P0300 Random Misfire" code or "P0301 Cylinder #1 Misfire", "P0302 Cylinder #2 Misfire"etc....

90% sure thats where you will find your problem, without actually looking @ the car.

Ivy_Mike

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 09:31:00 PM »

Back in '92 when i had a hyundai excel (in australia) i had what sounds like a similar problem, and it turned out to be my engine mounts? (totally warn out) and was causing the car to shudder on acceleration in 1st gear and slowing down using the gears...

but rather than just replace them, i replaced the engine in the MIVVEC engine from a 92 FTO, and has some custom mounts fabricated to suit. power to weight was excellent! :)

TheGreatVirus

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 03:49:00 AM »

@ yaazz

I don't drive a Hyundai it's my girlfriends I drive a 69 Chevy Truck.

@ Everyone else

Thanks for the tips so far Ill follow them  and see what comes up.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 10:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(Ivy_Mike @ Oct 12 2005, 05:35 AM)
Back in '92 when i had a hyundai excel (in australia) i had what sounds like a similar problem, and it turned out to be my engine mounts? (totally warn out) and was causing the car to shudder on acceleration in 1st gear and slowing down using the gears...

but rather than just replace them, i replaced the engine in the MIVVEC engine from a 92 FTO, and has some custom mounts fabricated to suit. power to weight was excellent! :)

That's because Hyundai was outsourcing to Mitsubishi at the time (don't know if they still are).  No shortage of motor mount failure stories on Mitsubishis from that era.  

Ivy_Mike

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 05:42:00 PM »

jesterrace777 is exactly right, the 1992 Hyundai Excel or "Pony" in Korea, was just a re-badged, un-used design of a mitsubishi lancer, sold to hyundai. It wasn't untill the REALLY popular hyundais came out (1995 or something) that they started to make their own engines, a single over head cam 12 valve power plant. not.

but the 92 that i had, was a suprisingly good car. basic, and bare, but it had electric everything, completely colour coded interior and exterior, air con, elec sun roof, tints and all the extras, for only $12k "drive away no more to pay" which was at least $7k cheaper than the susuki swift, which didnt have half the stuff the hyundai had.

funny thing was, it handled excellently (when i lowered it to 60mm clearance) and was really light. First off i put in a mitsubishi cordia turbo engine, but it last about 1.5 secs on the dyno and shit itself. so i went for the FTO engine.

shit, wasn't this all about someone elses Elantra? sorry, flashback over...

if the Elantra is the twin cam 16 valve engine, super-charge it. just strengthen the internals a bit :)

Summertime69

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 11:21:00 AM »

I have a 2000 Hyundai elantra gls wagon and the check engine light came on about 2 weeks ago.  I replaced spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, and ran all the old gas out and filled with new premium gas.  I took it to a garage and they read misfire in cylinder 1, so they replaced the fuel injectors.  It cost me $140 and the problem still existed.  I read the message below about the wires and sure enough all I had to do was replace the spark plug wires, no check engine light, no miss to idle.  Thanks for the help. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)