xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Turbocharger Or Supercharger?  (Read 326 times)

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Turbocharger Or Supercharger?
« on: July 24, 2005, 01:55:00 PM »

Okay, it's getting down to the wire now and I need to start making some hard decisions.  I was looking into getting some crazy HP gains for the Miata and so far this one seems to be the only kit that adds serious power to the thing:

http://www.flyinmiat...d...  RED/WHITE

Unfortunately that sucker costs $5K  blink.gif

The Greddy Turbo kit is easily available for the thing at a cheap price but it seems pretty weak.  About $1600 (adds about 30HP and is only 5-6PSI).  

However, there is a nice jackson supercharger out there which runs about $2500 and adds 40%.  

http://www.jacksonra...teIndexID=38403

So I guess the question is, what is the best value for the money?  

I know that you can do more tweaking with a turbo but the supercharger seems to be an easier install and has less that can go wrong with it.  Or am I way off the mark here?

leijae

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 02:35:00 PM »

Lets make a chart from the info you just gave us. excluding the $5k one

Super            |          Turbo

adds 40%       |     adds only 30HP
 $2500           |       $1600
Easy install     |
more robust    |

looks likt the super chager wins.... infact i may use the super instead of the turbo. Check out my project http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=424944

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 02:54:00 PM »

Ive seen a Miata or 2 with a JR S/C setup and it's a very decent setup. Certainly a lot easier to install then a turbo setup.

thesideinguy

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 03:19:00 PM »

i have always been a fan of superchargers vs turbos.

i guess the best way to figure out wich is the best cost efective solution is to devide the cost of eash by the hp gain, thus geting a dollar amount per horse.

leijae

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 03:29:00 PM »

just a thought.... http://www.turbonato...id=adWordsMazda ... opinions?

Hercules Q Einstein

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 03:36:00 PM »

Yeah a SC is a better bet than a turbo unless your going to go all out and spend alot on the turbo.

If you looking for a cheaper one go with the SC.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 01:03:00 AM »

Sounds good, I was starting to lean towards the supercharger anyways.  Unless I go with some professional grade turbo.  Either way though, I may not be getting the Miata now.  I just can't find what I am looking for in my area and it sounds like it will be a shitload of work and money to get it where I want it to be.  As much as I hate to say it, I might go with a Z28 or TransAm.  They seem to be easier to find and a mid '90s version is quite affordable.  Most of my driving is highway so if I get one with the 350 and the six speed tranny then it will still get decent gas mileage on the highway (certainly better than my RX-7 anyways).  If I go a step further and eventually put a supercharger on the thing then it will just plain haul ass.  The only thing that I am worried about is the body roll/handling.  BTW Rylinkus how would you say that the handling on your Z28 compares to a second generation RX-7?

slim_shady_jr

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 01:31:00 AM »

here is the thing

turbo i'd use for highway traveling or drag race setup. turbo is just hanging there and not decreasing gas milage.

supercharge is more for a manual street racer that likes to go from stop light to stop light

I a fan of turbo's........you can start with a small turbo=cheaper kit and then move up in size and boost as your pocket recovers.........LOL tongue.gif

thesideinguy

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 02:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Jul 25 2005, 12:14 AM)
BTW Rylinkus how would you say that the handling on your Z28 compares to a second generation RX-7?

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 10:37:00 AM »

Okay but I have a second generation RX-7 with after market suspension and shocks.  That sucker really hugs the road.  Anyways, roughly what should I expect to pay for a firebird/Z28 (1995-1997)?  (5.7 Liter V-8 with 6 speed Tranny).

Hercules Q Einstein

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 11:29:00 AM »

Well i hate to give you any adivce that might help replace your RX-7 (The 3rd gens are one of my dream cars), but they should probably go for around 5-7K. Just a guess.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 04:38:00 PM »

Mine was 3500. And from looking around as I was shopping it's very possible to get a 95ish LT1 for 5K. Then it comes down to finding one with the options you want. TTops? Leather? Firebird or Z28? Etc

mynuffinfutsitch

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 05:38:00 PM »

supercharger are know to give you up to 50%  more horse
and they can be turned off with a clutch (not sure if they have them on all superchargers)
turbo are for most power out of an engine with the least amount mileage lost

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 03:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Jul 26 2005, 12:49 AM)
Mine was 3500. And from looking around as I was shopping it's very possible to get a 95ish LT1 for 5K. Then it comes down to finding one with the options you want. TTops? Leather? Firebird or Z28? Etc

thesideinguy

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 04:12:00 PM »

more than likely the trans-am will be just a litle more than the Z28, and rightly so.  their basicaly the same car but the pontiac line is just plane beter quality. the suspention is beter and they didnt cheap out on the interior, among other things. the Z28 was GM's afortable alternative to the trans-am. its like th difrence between the lamans and GTO back in the day. the lamans was bad ass but was no GTO, althogh they were on the same frame and were very interchangable. besides you can always upgrade the looks of it to a 98 style look later on with a litle work and a little more cash. and imo i think the birds just plain look beter.
keep your eyes out for a WS6 modle trans-am , thats the major baddass.
Pages: [1] 2 3