xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Little Advice On A Xbox360 Purchase  (Read 285 times)

mouseym

• Archived User
Little Advice On A Xbox360 Purchase
« on: December 26, 2011, 06:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(cheesusrice @ Dec 25 2011, 10:07 PM) View Post

1. Is there a certain version of xbox360 that is best for modding? I prefer to get mine new from a local Walmart as per the 90 day exchange warranty if i screw something up.

The best xbox 360 versions to mod are the Phat Jasper and the older slim generations, there are newer consoles which cannot be hacked yet. If you can look at the box before you purchase the 360 this post will be helpful to you. Bearing in mind that you cannot modify the Hitachi 0500 and the LiteOn 1175 drives yet.

2. There are certain games that i would like to play online including original versions of BF3 and MW3. Is there a way to disable the CFW and mods to safely play games online while being able to easily switch back to CFW to play backups of my original games?

You can play originals online using cfw safely.

3. Hows the homebrew on Xbox360? We love the old SNES and Sega games and We use our Wii exclusively  to stream netflix to a "40 LED TV. Netflix compatibility is a MUST.

Netflix is natively supported on the 360, running homebrew will require you to do some soldering (See: Reset Glitch Hack/JTAG) and there are limitations to the consoles these hacks will work on.

4. USB back-up loading. Hows the compatibility and ease of use with the GUI? I have a 4 and 12 year old that will also be operating this Xbox360. Does CFW and Homebrew offer some sort of brick and update protection?

In terms of USB back-ups, you will need to look at performing the Reset Glitch Hack/JTAG OR purchasing some rather expensive hardware called the xKey.

As for the update protection, this is more involved, requiring you to solder points on the motherboard to stop microsoft blowing efuses during updates (all in the name of stopping hacks).

5. I havent read as many Xbox360 softmod guides as i have about PS3`s. I know softmods exist and im not stranger to softmodding. However i DO NOT know how to solder so  for what i need what would be the best option? I dont mind paying a premium for ease of use and added security if such a dongle exist.

There are no softmods for the 360 and as you stated you have no soldering experience, you will need to look at installing CFW on the DVD drive or buying an xKey.

6. Hows the current gen of Xbox`s life span? I recall the whole red ring of death issue.

Later Phat models and slim models are fine, they have much better cooling.

sinclairuser

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »

unless you live in a third world country any brand new 360 will be unflashable and or unglitchable
no messing thats the truth
as for cfw online its just not worth it as of this moment its reported to be safe but they said that before
there are alot on these boards who seem to think playing backups online is cool or worst still some kind of game!
i would'nt expect this cfw to be safe very long but thats my 2 cents
instead of paying out for a brand new one spend the same and get two used ones one live safe and one flashed for the kids offline only way to be totally safe online and disk scratching kids wise!

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »

moving to a more neutral place as this has both 360 and PS3 talk