xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Interested In A Media Player  (Read 257 times)

hyfall381

• Archived User
Interested In A Media Player
« on: January 28, 2011, 01:28:00 AM »

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right forum.  I'm interested in getting a media player, specifically to play h264 1080p videos that are in .mkv.

From what I've read, It seems the two top brands are Western Digital TV Live, and the Patriot PBO.

I know they both do a lot of the same thing, and both support the videos I want to play back.

But what I'm wondering is which is better?  I'm hoping some of you own one of these players. Just hoping for some feedback and opinions.

please note, I really don't care about network capabilities or online media, like netflix and all that.  All I want to do is plug in my usb hdd and play back all sorts of vids, but especially the h264 ones without problems.

Thanks!

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 11:45:00 PM »

I have an Asus O!play, which I bought after comparing it to my friends WDTV.  We both agree the O!play was better than the WDTV (with factory firmware).  I have been happy with it.

hyfall381

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to look into that brand as well.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

i have a pretty nice pc that can play these files on my 42" tv just fine. and they look great.  but im still new at this so ive been messing around with different players (vlc, kmplayer, mpc, etc...) and codecs, trying to find the perfect one.

i guess im just wondering if these media players like the one you have can play these high-def video files the same as a high-end pc with the right software/codecs. what do you think?

thanks again.

This post has been edited by hyfall381: Feb 4 2011, 07:09 AM

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 12:38:00 AM »

Another unit to check out is the Apple TV2 box, you can now reflash it with a build of XBMC that is pretty tight.

http://www.engadget....e-new-apple-tv/

Although from what I have read it downscales 1080p vids to 720p.

superfireball123

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »

I have the Patriot PBO and have for about 5 months. It won't dissapoint you I'd reccomend it

imsusan

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 02:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(superfireball123 @ Feb 17 2011, 12:37 AM) View Post

I have the Patriot PBO and have for about 5 months. It won't dissapoint you I'd reccomend it

Agreed.  dry.gif