xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Things To Do While Unemployed?  (Read 228 times)

bucko

• Recovered User
Things To Do While Unemployed?
« on: July 02, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »

Hey all, after finishing Uni and then living and working abroad I'm now back home unemployed again.

I'm looking for jobs all day online and I'm applying, getting a few phone calls back but not having much luck. At the moment I'm going for nice long walks in the evening to keep me fit, and helping out with the family cooking etc and little things.

There isn't much volunteer work round here since I live in a small village, but just need ideas, I'm also looking at house sitting since this may help me to continue to travel.

I'm just thinking of thing to do round the house you know or things to do to keep me busy, I would like to grow my own veg but allotments are full here dry.gif any other ideas, I might start going to the library more happy.gif

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »

Fishing?  Rod and reel are cheap, and a better one doesn't really make you a better fisherman.  It will get you out doors and there's not much better feeling then hookin one and bringing it onto the bank.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(pirichios @ Jul 5 2010, 07:22 PM) View Post

i would suggest photography. i have always found it awesome to go on a stroll and take random pictures of stuff you see. youd be amazed at the stuff that your eyes miss sometimes but the lens doesnt. of course this is only a free hobby if you happen to have a digital camera smile.gif.Also I happen to live in a city so taking pictures of random stuff in a city is always fun

This is one of my hobbies smile.gif, I always take my camera everywhere I go to. I have a nice pocket camera and a digital SLR, some pics at my site in my sig. I would love to live in a city, living in the country is so boring, I enjoyed living in Amsterdam and Venice, just wondering around was so much fun...

QUOTE(hamwbone @ Jul 5 2010, 09:42 PM) View Post

Fishing?  Rod and reel are cheap, and a better one doesn't really make you a better fisherman.  It will get you out doors and there's not much better feeling then hookin one and bringing it onto the bank.

Yes, we have to get a license in the UK, about £30, I use to do this when I was younger, but got the line in a complete tangle, I guess I can buy a book or something to learn how to properly do it. There are a few lakes near us.

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »

hit the club scene and pick up some birds

Mikesshunk

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »

I'd learn a new programming language or something along those lines. Not only is it useful, it can waste away plenty of time. Or 3D modeling. I'm currently following a nice tutorial and attempting to learn Blender.

Also, weightlifting, if that's available to you.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 05:40:00 AM »

Well I've started a little IT thing, I put some posters in the post offices around local area, hope I can maybe turn it into a business in the future, just going to fix peoples computers etc should be good fun and a little cash, I do the same for friends anyway smile.gif.

Yes I enjoy web design programming, although I've been out of the loop for a while so trying to get back into it. I used to use 3DSM at college but I find it very hard my drawing side, I was good at making space ships and maps though, just struggled with character wireframes.

Haha ya I'm going to a BBQ this weekend, I'm in a gaming society and it should be a good laugh with all of us, the weather is looking pretty amazing to. I don't really have a social buddy to go out on the pull at night lol, thats another thing that sucks living in a village lol tongue.gif thnx all for ideas keep em coming..

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 12:59:00 AM »

If you have a gps, Geocaching is fun.  Gets you lots of exercise, and if there is a local event it can also be quite social.

thwack

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 04:14:00 AM »

If you can find something to do that you enjoy and helps with your CV - ie your degree/college course related that'll help. Been through a similar thing, got my degree, took a little time off then found it hard to find work in my degree related profession (archaeology). Did a bit of volunteering, and looked good enough on me CV afterwards that I got a job (although that was many years ago now). Also did a load of temping that helped me out - I can now do up houses wink.gif

Would just say though - keep doing what you're doing and keeping yourself busy, as when you're out of work it can have a tendancy to play on your mind a bit after a while - there's plenty of my mates in the same situation as yourself in the current climate!

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 05:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(sunce @ Jul 8 2010, 04:14 AM) View Post

It's rough everywhere these days. I am in a similar situation. Just got to wait it out or look at every place in sight and hopefully you land a job. Or you always have the option of going back to school. If all else fails load up your xbox 360 and enjoy! im sure that will keep you plenty busy.

Yer it's pretty bad, well I'm at full degree level, the highest standard education here, I can do a postgrad course like Phd/Masters, but I'm tempted to save it up because I would have to pay it all my self. But yes it is an option. Ha I go on my 360 a lot, I just can't afford any new games, theres only so much more of CDMWF2 I can take now dry.gif

QUOTE(StrictPuppet @ Jul 8 2010, 07:59 AM) View Post

If you have a gps, Geocaching is fun.  Gets you lots of exercise, and if there is a local event it can also be quite social.

Thats cool mate, there is one at our old WW2 airfield in our village!! Gonna go have a look, plenty of them to in our near by town, thats really interesting, I do have a tomtom but it's not mine, I might invest in a GPS phone or something. Or just print of the GPS data/maps

QUOTE(thwack @ Jul 8 2010, 11:14 AM) View Post

If you can find something to do that you enjoy and helps with your CV - ie your degree/college course related that'll help. Been through a similar thing, got my degree, took a little time off then found it hard to find work in my degree related profession (archaeology). Did a bit of volunteering, and looked good enough on me CV afterwards that I got a job (although that was many years ago now). Also did a load of temping that helped me out - I can now do up houses wink.gif

Would just say though - keep doing what you're doing and keeping yourself busy, as when you're out of work it can have a tendancy to play on your mind a bit after a while - there's plenty of my mates in the same situation as yourself in the current climate!

Yes I'm looking out for temp work, I'm also looking for temp work to keep me fit and outdoors as well, I love the team thing you get to meet new people, it's pretty cool.

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(StrictPuppet @ Jul 7 2010, 11:59 PM) View Post

i tried that a few times, never found one though, i think people are stealing the caches around my house, lol