xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: I Need Help Finding A Good A/v Receiver  (Read 19 times)

pichon

• Archived User
I Need Help Finding A Good A/v Receiver
« on: December 13, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »

Can anyone tell me what the rs-232 input is for on the onkyo tx-sr805?

w2kj

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 06:12:00 PM »

I'm not totally sure either; but here is a link about rs-232 input. http://www.audioholi...sr5805-features

I have an Onkyo TX-SR702 av recv'r....it's a couple of years old, but I love it. smile.gif Onkyo has some great electronics.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 07:28:00 AM »

Buy this receiver:
http://us.marantz.co...oducts/2205.asp

$1500 MSRP you can find it for under $1K if you shop around

1080p up-converting
full HDMI 1.3a compliance including all of the new HD audio formats, deep color, and SACD
XM radio
Dual Zone functionality
110W RMS x7 channels
and of course fully THX certified

if you want something a little cheaper you can go with last years model: http://www.accessori...item/MARSR7001#

which is pretty much the same except it only supports up to the HDMI 1.2 spec and only up converts from 480i/p to HDMI

or you could got with the SR6001 (MSRP $1200) which is the next model down and offers similar features to the SR7002 but 2 less HDMI inputs only 100W RMS per Channel and it's not THX certified but it does support HDMI 1.3a which IMO is probably THE most important feature if you're looking to futureproof.

Onkyo makes nice stuff but like Sony and HK they're not consistent since they make low quality stuff as well as high quality stuff.

so when you buy something expensive from them you don't necessarily know if they started with a $5K receiver and stripped it down  or started with a $200 receiver and stuffed it full of extra features.

Marantz and Denon ONLY make high end stuff so when you buy that<$1000 receiver you know that they started with their top of the line model and removed some of the expensive features for the budget minded.

I've used Marantz equipment for year, the only time I've ever replaced them is when I wanted something with more features... their quality is phenomenal.

If you're still interested in that Onkyo unit you can get a refurbished unit here pretty cheap: http://www.accessori...tem/ONKTXSR805S

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 04:37:00 PM »

Thanks for that TS  smile.gif

I have also been recently looking into a 7.1 setup and was planning to go with the 705/805 until I'd seen this. I'll research a bit more into it, but I'll probably get one of those units when I decide to finally splurge on a setup. It's a PITA trying to find a 7.1 setup with HDMI 1.3a, THX cert, 1080p upconversion, enough HDMI ports to be futureproof, adjustments for each speakers distance (hadn't seen if that reciever can do that yet)and can handle all these new HD audio codecs, and all keeping it under $1k.  uhh.gif

Any recommendations on some decent and mid priced speakers? And a sub?

pichon

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 01:06:00 AM »

After extensive research I have found that the most important thing for me will be good up scaling. There is a lot of talk about the hqv reon chip in onkyo products vs. the apparently inferior faroudja chip in the Denon products. I am worried about the fact that onkyos tx-sr875 doesn’t have the ability to upgrade firmware, as opposed to the Denon avr-3808ci. How big of a deal is firmware upgradability compared to the better video processor?

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(pichon @ Dec 15 2007, 12:00 AM) View Post

Thanks a ton for the info, it is a lot to wrap your head around. i think i will splurge and spend a little more than $1k. in for a penny in for a pound. i like the avr-3808ci from denon even though it isnt thx certified (i found one for $1275). any opinions? i don't know much about marantz. is there much of a difference between quality in the two (denon and marantz)?

thanks again for the responses.
Jason

Denon and Marantz are the same company... they merged a few years ago in a rather interesting way. They still develop and act like two completely separate companies but they share technology and manufacturing facilities.