xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hbo Busted Me For Using Bittorrent  (Read 61 times)

chilin_dude

• Archived User
Hbo Busted Me For Using Bittorrent
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005, 03:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(powercntrl @ Aug 29 2005, 01:55 PM)
Technically, if you own the DVD, it's legal to download a copy for "backup" purposes.  As near as I can tell, it's not downloading that they're going after, its the fact that the nature of P2P networks makes you not just a downloader, but a distributor as well.

buttface96

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2005, 10:45:00 PM »

i used to do that everynow and then. I'd download a dvd or program or something. Try it out, if i thought it was outstanding  I would go out and buy it, but if i didnt like it i would just delete it. But Of course i dont do that anymore

Himura

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2005, 12:56:00 AM »

laugh.gif

Twasi

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2005, 01:39:00 AM »

Isn't this why we use peer guardian/protowall and such??

Sorry to burst your bubble but you're wasting your time and system resources with those programs, they literally do nothing to protect you.

Often thought of as a means of evading the anti-piracy wings of corporations and groups such as the RIAA and MPAA, PeerGuardian offers little actual protection against the threat of prosecution. Users of Bittorrent often tout the application as a means of protection, but it offers little more than a false sense of security. Whilst anti-piracy organisations and groups will not be able to connect to peers or seeds using PeerGuardian, these peers and seeds are still broadcasting their IP addresses for anyone, including anti-piracy groups, to see.

Mast3r Ch13f

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2005, 10:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(powercntrl @ Aug 29 2005, 07:55 AM)
Technically, if you own the DVD, it's legal to download a copy for "backup" purposes.  As near as I can tell, it's not downloading that they're going after, its the fact that the nature of P2P networks makes you not just a downloader, but a distributor as well.

jiveabillion

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2005, 05:13:00 PM »

About newsgroups. I've been using them for a couple months now. Are they really untraceable? The Cable company can't tell what I am downloading?

sulfur

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2005, 05:49:00 PM »

I-Phantom

http://www.engadget....34000673053515/

"this device encrypts all your outgoing traffic, sends it to a secure proxy node on PhantomÂ’s network, and forwards it for you. Simple anonymous AES-secure traffic wherever you go."

^ = seems to me like the best way to be safe if you playing on doing something illegal.

Twasi

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2005, 08:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(sulfur @ Sep 6 2005, 02:00 AM)
I-Phantom

powercntrl

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2005, 09:50:00 PM »

ohmy.gif
Pages: 1 [2]