xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "sticky" Analog Sticks  (Read 176 times)

DoctorV

• Archived User
"sticky" Analog Sticks
« on: September 14, 2005, 01:29:00 AM »

Apparently no one else on the planet has this problem except for me seeing as how I searched for over an hour on the forums for a solution.

I have an old Nyko Airflow controller and I love it. Unfortunately in its old age the analog sticks are starting to get a little sticky and make a slight "creaking" noise when moved slowly. NO I didn't spill anything into my controller either smile.gif

I took off the case and took off one of the sticks. I figured I could maybe spray some type of lubricant in the sensor box to maybe loosen things up. I did some research on what type of lubricant to use on plastic and found that silicone spray was the way to go. Well I ended up using "GUNK heavey duty Silicone Spray Lubricant" and apparently that only compounded the problem. Now the stick I sprayed is extremely sticky and even sticks when I push it all the way to the right.

Can anyone tell me what lubricant I should have used?

ClintiePoo

• Archived User
"sticky" Analog Sticks
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 01:47:00 AM »

Got me.  I would have said use Silicone-based lubricant.  That's what I use on the [ABS plastic] Rubik's cube  smile.gif

Heykrop

• Archived User
"sticky" Analog Sticks
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 06:19:00 AM »

I've had the same problem with several of my controllers from Originlal DUKE to Type-S. I usually take them apart and spray a small amount of WD-40 into the analog controls.  I've had no problems. It usually lasts for a couple of months and then I just repeat the procedure.

DoctorV

• Archived User
"sticky" Analog Sticks
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 01:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(Heykrop @ Sep 14 2005, 02:30 PM)
I've had the same problem with several of my controllers from Originlal DUKE to Type-S. I usually take them apart and spray a small amount of WD-40 into the analog controls.  I've had no problems. It usually lasts for a couple of months and then I just repeat the procedure.

Heykrop

• Archived User
"sticky" Analog Sticks
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 05:45:00 AM »

Nope. Not messing with you. Others may do that in these forums but that's not my way. If I take the time to answer I'm trying to help.  

I've been using WD-40 for this for the better part of a year and have had no issues with the plastic breaking down due to contact with it.  You just need to use a small amount and try to wipe away any excess that runs. It is somewhat conductive and could cause a problem if it is bridging any contacts.  I usually use the thin straw that comes with the WD-40 spray can and get it right into the middle of the analog mechanism and into the potentiometers for the two axis.   Just DON'T go heavy in the potentiometers. A tiny amount will go a long way there.  

Good luck.

ClintiePoo

• Archived User
"sticky" Analog Sticks
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 09:27:00 AM »

There are a bazillion types of plastic in the world.  While silicone is suited to lubricate some, it is completely wrong for others.  The lubricant has to bond to the surfaces and create a layer between them.  

I took Tribology (the study of friction, wear, and lubrication) as a senior in college.  Try the WD-40.  Heykrop says it works, and the plastics in your controllers are probably similar if not the same.  I don't think it will hurt anything.  Use just a little, and take time to work it in.

DoctorV

• Archived User
"sticky" Analog Sticks
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 03:19:00 AM »

Ok I'll give it a shot and tell you how it works out.

DoctorV

• Archived User
"sticky" Analog Sticks
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 03:45:00 PM »

Well I FINALLY got around to trying the WD-40. No it doesn't work. It gave me the exact same results as the silicone spray. So to sum up here's what I've done so far.

Silicone spray: Made analog stick 10 times worse but improved a little bit after it "dried".

WD-40: Back to being 10 times worse. Isn't dry yet but I'm assuming it will improve a little bit like what happended with the silicone spray.

Either method made the problem worse and I was better off not doing anything.

There has got to be some answers out there. My FPS Master controller's analog stick is starting to get sticky now and it's depressing to know that both of my favorite controllers are on there way out.

Please help!!!  sad.gif

no0b123

• Archived User
"sticky" Analog Sticks
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2005, 06:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(DoctorV @ Oct 29 2005, 06:56 PM)
Well I FINALLY got around to trying the WD-40. No it doesn't work. It gave me the exact same results as the silicone spray. So to sum up here's what I've done so far.

Cappi

• Archived User
"sticky" Analog Sticks
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 07:29:00 PM »

If it isnt a MS brand xbox controller then throw it away and go get one, all other brands suck crap.

Cappi

• Archived User
"sticky" Analog Sticks
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 07:31:00 PM »

double post

TKramka

• Archived User
"sticky" Analog Sticks
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 07:44:00 PM »

says who?  my pelican works a treat...

DoctorV

• Archived User
"sticky" Analog Sticks
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2005, 03:50:00 PM »

Anyone care to be helpful this time?  dry.gif

alphacorvus

• Archived User
"sticky" Analog Sticks
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2005, 08:25:00 PM »

I have no idea if this would help but you can try graphite...

JEB-101

• Archived User
"sticky" Analog Sticks
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005, 08:48:00 PM »

beerchug.gif
JEB
Pages: [1] 2