xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Is There A Faster Way?  (Read 82 times)

jerome187

• Archived User
Is There A Faster Way?
« on: October 12, 2002, 02:17:00 PM »

Is there a faster way to FTP games off the xbox when you try to back them up?  When i FTP off my Xbox, i only get about 30kbs, and damm! that slow.  it there a faster way to do this?  like installing linux and making a network or something?  or did i screw up my IP settings or something?  anyone know??

cykiller

• Archived User
Is There A Faster Way?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2002, 05:18:00 PM »

muhaha.gif

bagel5009

• Archived User
Is There A Faster Way?
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2002, 05:31:00 PM »

cool.gif

jerome187

• Archived User
Is There A Faster Way?
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2002, 09:30:00 PM »

QUOTE (BIOYAM @ Oct 13 2002, 01:00 AM)
jerome187,
Use the forum's search feature, there are many threads solving the problem you have. By the way, if you have a 100 mbit connection you should be getting anywhere from 4 to 8 megs a second.
BIOYAM.

i tryed the search thingie just now, i search faster ftp, fast ftp, ect, ect and i cant find anything!  what am i supposed to search for?

opjose

• Archived User
Is There A Faster Way?
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2002, 10:50:00 PM »

QUOTE (jerome187 @ Oct 13 2002, 03:30 AM)
QUOTE (BIOYAM @ Oct 13 2002, 01:00 AM)
jerome187,
Use the forum's search feature, there are many threads solving the problem you have. By the way, if you have a 100 mbit connection you should be getting anywhere from 4 to 8 megs a second.
BIOYAM.

i tryed the search thingie just now, i search faster ftp, fast ftp, ect, ect and i cant find anything!  what am i supposed to search for?

You need to set the search up properly.

Search for FLASHXP, ALL FORUMS, TODAY and OLDER

You'll get a slew of hits.

jerome187

• Archived User
Is There A Faster Way?
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2002, 11:47:00 PM »

ok, i searched, and i found 10 unanswered posts like mine, and not one answers my problem.  I also found out that my ISP suppoesdly charges 4.95 for each additional IP address.  But, i have my general computer, and a linux box, and a xbox all on the same internet connection, and they all seem to work fine, and all have different IP addresses.  Could not paying for the IPs result in not being able to transfer files between these machienes faster than 30kbs?  heres my setup; cable modem pluged into the 'uplink' slot on the hub, (its a 5 port 10Mpbs Ethernet Hub) and my computer is in the number 1 slot, the linux box is in the number 2 slot, and the xbox is in the number 3 slot.  Any suggestions anyone?

opjose

• Archived User
Is There A Faster Way?
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2002, 12:36:00 AM »

Well it sounds like you are hooked up something like this

user posted image

In this case all of your computers "live" on the internet.

Your ISP is assigning IP's to your Internet connected computer and you may either be obtaining additional addresses or typing them in.

In the latter case, the addresses you "type in" are invalid because your machines "Live" on the ISP's "subnet".

This means any IP you choose may be already taken by someone else.

If you switch to Private IP's you'll have problems with the internet connection.

You could set up your Xbox and PC directly like this.

user posted image

and use PRIVATE Ip's as per the tutorial. This would give you pretty good speeds.

This requires two lan cards in your PC (but this has it's own problems, such as IRQ sharing, etc...)

The best way to do this is with a DSL/CABLE sharing device that has an integrated switch/hub

user posted image

In place of 10-100 "router" substitute something like one of these...

http://www.dlink.com...wireless/di764/

Everything would look like the diagram above, but would work at full speed. Each PC and the Xbox would be "given" an address by the sharing device which does not conflict with internet IP's.

The all-in one devices take care of all the settings for your lan automatically via something called DHCP.

All of the devices would have internet access, and you would not have to pay additional for this. As far as the ISP is concerned you have only one internet connected device, the Dlink.

With a direct cable connection or the latter setup you should see speeds in excess of 3,000kbps, making the transfers painless.

Others who have complained about exactly the same thing you have, later found out that their setup was at fault and once they "isolated" the cable modem from the LAN or used a sharing device, speeds increased greatly...

jerome187

• Archived User
Is There A Faster Way?
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2002, 01:45:00 AM »

so i either need a router or 2 network cards in my PC?  what about this; disconnect the cable modem, and use the hub just to connect the computer to the xbox.  would that work?  i really dont have any xtra cash for another computer gizmo.

opjose

• Archived User
Is There A Faster Way?
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2002, 01:49:00 AM »

QUOTE (jerome187 @ Oct 13 2002, 07:45 AM)
so i either need a router or 2 network cards in my PC?  what about this; disconnect the cable modem, and use the hub just to connect the computer to the xbox.  would that work?  i really dont have any xtra cash for another computer gizmo.

Yes this would work, but you would really need to set things up with the IP's the tutorial give just to be sure.

I don't know what kind of LAN card you have, but if it is 100BaseT capable, and your hub is not, you might get MUCH better transfer with a crossover cable instead.

Remember in either case you will have to take care of ALL of the network settings manually.

It might actually be better for you to delete the existing lan card from the Windows Device Manager and let windows refind it during bootup.

Then set the IP's, etc. and reboot again.

Finally connect to the Xbox turn on both and make sure you can ping the Xbox before anything else.

jerome187

• Archived User
Is There A Faster Way?
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2002, 01:52:00 AM »

and i should do this while disconnected from the cable modem?

opjose

• Archived User
Is There A Faster Way?
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2002, 02:01:00 AM »

Yes definitely.

cykiller

• Archived User
Is There A Faster Way?
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2002, 03:50:00 AM »

muhaha.gif