xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Media Player Dev Suspended  (Read 25 times)

akarnid

• Archived User
Xbox Media Player Dev Suspended
« on: October 07, 2002, 11:53:00 AM »

Oh, trawling through the boards @ xboxmediaplayer site seems to indicate both a leak ( someone leaked a private beta ) and some brouhaha involving closed vs. open source developing.   A GPL violation.  Hope it gets solved somehow in the future, tho I wouldn't be too sure...

akarnid

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2002, 12:00:00 PM »

TowerT

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2002, 01:10:00 PM »

One word. BUSTED.

The only reason why I would think that they would not release the code is because they may want to make money from the first non-beta, which is kinda silly as this prog is gray market as it is.

Scimmia

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2002, 06:08:00 PM »

Don't worry guys, from what the developers have said, the reason development has been suspended is so that they can get the code cleaned up to release it. This is good news, not bad. The news sites need to update their headlines, they make it sound like XBMP is dead.

MrEs

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2002, 08:04:00 AM »

lol so many rumors, the reason the stopped TEMPORARILY is because there are too many bloody stupid people sticking thier nose into thier buisiness and fucking everything up for the rest of u, just let them be and when shit gets done we can give them a big thumbs up.

TowerT

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2002, 09:18:00 AM »

QUOTE (MrEs @ Oct 8 2002, 02:04 PM)
lol so many rumors, the reason the stopped TEMPORARILY is because there are too many bloody stupid people sticking thier nose into thier buisiness and fucking everything up for the rest of u, just let them be and when shit gets done we can give them a big thumbs up.

But if they are using GPL code, they are obligated to provide the whole source to anyone, as the code they are using is provided to anyone on demand.

They just got busted on using other ppl's code and didn't want to admit it. Plus, putting up on the website the guy's e-mail, who requested the source, asking ppl to "say thanks" to him, was a true bitch move by the XBMP developers.

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2002, 04:34:00 PM »

This whole thing -REALLY- bums me out.

XBMP was the killer user app for me.

WiKKiD

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2002, 12:55:00 PM »

I've never known a coder who can walk away from a project incomplete... It's an addiction.. Expect to see more xbmp builds in the future, but don't think it's owed to you.