xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: F**kin Annoying!  (Read 128 times)

akarnid

• Archived User
F**kin Annoying!
« on: October 03, 2002, 05:59:00 AM »

uuuhhm.... tried to transfer then 1000 files at a time and see how that works?

opjose

• Archived User
F**kin Annoying!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2002, 06:57:00 AM »

QUOTE (bubba @ Oct 3 2002, 11:39 AM)
F' Me!!

I have read what I could find in the posts about FTP'ing to the XBOX from a PC and haven't found anything useful regarding my current problem!

Every time I try and FTP to the Xbox from My PC and there is an huge amount of files to be FTP'ed anything over 1500 files, my machine craps out and reboots. I have tried the suggestions in the groups, new Evox Dash, new Evox BIN, doesn't work. Tried two different FTP programs. ACE FTP2 and FlashXP (Registered). Neither of them work past 1500 files. There seems to be some issue with large file transfers as this does not happen with small games. NBA is a perfect example of the problem, this ISO has somewhere in the neighborhood of 9,000+ files.

Anybody who has a solution to this issue is welcome to reply!!

I am running Windows ME with 512RAM. I am connected using a cross-over cable.....

Thanks
Bubba grr.gif  grr.gif  grr.gif

Because you are running ME you have several problems right there.

Amoung which:

ME cannot handle very large 2g+ files, such as ISO's, etc.
ME is not very good at dealing with a large quantity of files in a single folder.
Me's UDF support is non-existant.

That said, it sounds like your problem is with your LAN card and driver.

If I were you I'd update the driver FIRST and also try moving your LAN card to another slot if this does not work.

Doing this has solved the same problem for various other people.

MrEs

• Archived User
F**kin Annoying!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2002, 08:33:00 AM »

lol ME is one big issue in itself  blink.gif

bubba

• Archived User
F**kin Annoying!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2002, 08:59:00 AM »

And XP is any Better?  laugh.gif What OS Should I Switch To?

dignick

• Archived User
F**kin Annoying!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2002, 09:06:00 AM »

QUOTE (bubba @ Oct 3 2002, 02:59 PM)
And XP is any Better?  laugh.gif What OS Should I Switch To?

win98se.  Thats what ive got.  And ive found no probs.  ME is just a name.  Just because its newer doesnt mean its better! biggrin.gif

MrEs

• Archived User
F**kin Annoying!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2002, 10:03:00 AM »

errrr.. slackware?

Dark Schneider

• Archived User
F**kin Annoying!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2002, 02:55:00 PM »

Jesus I thought everyone knew ME was a lurking turd in the toilet!
Upgrade to WinXP professional, or downgrade to Win98se and add the Plus! pack to get the ME look if you want.

As far as moving his lan card, well it could cause more problems than it helps. Depends on what type of board he is running, chipset, and bios version. Also whether or not there is a SBLive card sitting in there causing problems by interferring with the IRQ frequency to th HDD which was the case in a few setups I have seen in the past. Some system worked great with an AGP video, sound in the 4th PC,LAN in the 2nd PCI, and nothing in the first PCI.

All depends really.

opjose

• Archived User
F**kin Annoying!
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2002, 03:48:00 PM »

Yeah like Dark Schneider said on XP.

Also yes moving the card can exacerbate things, but it sounds like he already has the very problems you state. Namely during repeated and long xfer sessions his connection is crapping out.

Typically this is a sign of IRQ latency, in that one device is spending too long answering IRQ's (or has a stack heap problem w/ the IRQ handler while in NMI) while another is trying to also grab attention.

Since the problem is so fatal in his case, moving the card cannot hurt. It will also force Windows to re-enumerate his lan card and drivers which alone will sometimes clear up problems.

However the best advice is to move to XP/2000.

At least this way he is dealing with more "mature" drivers (eh, for the most part), and the OS is better able to deal with multiple devices sharing the IRQ chain and latency issues.

Skunky

• Archived User
F**kin Annoying!
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2002, 04:16:00 PM »

ph34r.gif Ewww....ME and XP both Suxz0r..  2000 all the way..  and this is comming from a M$ engineer. (non-xbox) heh ph34r.gif

opjose

• Archived User
F**kin Annoying!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2002, 05:35:00 PM »

QUOTE (Skunky @ Oct 3 2002, 10:16 PM)
ph34r.gif Ewww....ME and XP both Suxz0r..  2000 all the way..  and this is comming from a M$ engineer. (non-xbox) heh ph34r.gif

While you will not get an argument from me on this...

Xp is still better than WinME/98.

Of course I don't think much about MCSE's either. heh.

bagel5009

• Archived User
F**kin Annoying!
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2002, 05:43:00 PM »

just do them in parts, ever consider that?

opjose

• Archived User
F**kin Annoying!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2002, 06:07:00 PM »

QUOTE (bagel5009 @ Oct 3 2002, 11:43 PM)
just do them if parts, ever consider that?

Not really a solution to the problem, merely a workaround.

This also may create more hassles than it is worth.

bubba

• Archived User
F**kin Annoying!
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2002, 05:35:00 AM »

ohmy.gif

If I do this will it resolve the issue is the question? I have an SB Audigy card in the system, not a Live. Do you think it is still and IRQ issue? I also not only moved the NIC card, but replaced it with a new one, and still the same friggin problem.

As for those that suggested the technical genuis of breaking down the transfers........DUH!!

-Bubba

opjose

• Archived User
F**kin Annoying!
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2002, 06:08:00 AM »

QUOTE (bubba @ Oct 4 2002, 11:35 AM)
Thanks for all the input, it appears as if a move to XP is in my future. Anybody have a bootleg copy of professional?  ohmy.gif

If I do this will it resolve the issue is the question? I have an SB Audigy card in the system, not a Live. Do you think it is still and IRQ issue? I also not only moved the NIC card, but replaced it with a new one, and still the same friggin problem.

As for those that suggested the technical genuis of breaking down the transfers........DUH!!

-Bubba

The audigy has rather severe latency problems in that the bus mastering drivers tend to lock the bus. Later drivers (read especially those for XP) go further to reduce this.

Ironic that you mention this, since I've seen the behaviour you describe in Audigy equipped machines.

Mr Whoa

• Archived User
F**kin Annoying!
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2002, 07:05:00 AM »

interesting about the Audigy... Ill have to put that into my little black book of dark computer secrets. Like that video with the inflatable Lamb. Spooky.
Pages: [1] 2