xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 2 Questions About The Box  (Read 83 times)

Drew826

• Archived User
2 Questions About The Box
« on: August 04, 2002, 07:13:00 PM »

1) Currently you can't play DVD movies without the playback kit, but I think some people are working on that
2) If you cut the end off of an xbox controller, you'll see it has 5 wires. Cut the end off a USB cord, it has 4. Match up the 4 colors of each wire and solder together, then tape up the extra xbox wire. You can download an alpha version of some drivers to make the controller work on your pc, but currently I'm pretty sure that you can't make other usb devices work on the xbox

Col.Havoc

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2002, 07:55:00 PM »

ahh, that answers that. Thanks for the help. Can't wait until someone finds a way around that kit.

One other question, why do you even need the kit? I mean, it isn't just for the remote.

powerben5000

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2002, 08:05:00 PM »

smile.gif

Col.Havoc

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2002, 09:20:00 PM »

I doubt it is the software part, I bet that the piece that connects to the X-box sends some sort of command (on/off) that turns on the DVD player inside.

JCD

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2002, 03:04:00 AM »

They could easly use the controller as a 'remote' without ripping off a buch of extra dollars. My opinion is that they did it for userfriendly use. Cause i would need to practise alot controlling a dvd movie with a controller. The dvd remote is somewhat better... but i guess the choice was better for us to make.

stratjakt

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2002, 09:52:00 AM »

if you look at the packaging for the xbox remote kit, you see all the dolby digital liscencing hooplah, this appears nowhere on the xbox' packaging..

This leads me to believe what I've read in another forum.. The dongle contains the dvd player code itself (in the form of an xbe?)..

Like powerben says, its a good a way of handling all the liscensing problems with both CSS and Dolby, and also handling potential problems with recalls.. (Remember when the original JAP PS2 could play movies from all regions, and the MPAA had a fit and made sony eat the cost of recalling those consoles?)

Also, unlike Sony, MS wasnt previously liscensed to make DVD players..  Sony can put dvd support in every PS2, cuz they have sort of an 'unlimited' liscense to make all the DVD players they want..

MS doesnt make dvd players, so I'm sure the dongle was just a solution for cheap liscensing..   ie; the xbox isnt a "dvd player" at all, the dongles are.

GTac01

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2002, 01:56:00 PM »

We will see this soon, i bet you in the next evox well be able to see memcards and with the same principal, the info in the dongle. The hackers work is to make the xbox look for that dongle code in the hdd.

GTac01

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2002, 11:05:00 PM »

or not even, you know how u cna connect the controller to the pc, then same thing with the dongle, maybe it just recognizes it as a "hdd" or some one could make a simple driver for it to read the info.

thehitman4

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2002, 11:22:00 AM »

MS's original intention was to have DVD playback included with the standard console.  Then they realized they had to pay DVD royalties.

DVD royalties brought up an extra expense for an already expensive Xbox that they were losing money on anyway, hence, the dongle.

Supposedly the DVD x2 will let you play your DVDs without a dongle, but I have yet to get it unpacked (yes, with winRAR 3) to try it out..If anybody has any tips on getting it working please post or send a PM.

rAph

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2002, 11:36:00 AM »

You can play DVD without the dongle now. I believe it's called DVDX.

The dongle is needed because it contains a decoder, but this new program has it in it now.

rAph

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2002, 11:49:00 AM »

megaflux

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2002, 02:55:00 PM »

the fee is 20$ a pop to the dvd consortium for ANY machine that plays dvds (legally)
its worked into most products prices right off the bat., which is good cause i get consoles to game on...what good movies have come out on dvd this year anyways?

Drew826

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2002, 12:52:00 PM »

rAph, don't post links to software in here. i'd edit that out if i could, but i'm not a moderator in this forum. Someone needs to take care of that link