xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox360 - The Specs So Far  (Read 674 times)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Xbox360 - The Specs So Far
« on: May 10, 2005, 11:36:00 AM »

Ok there's a million different sources and tid bits of info floating around all over the place... I took the liberty of sifting through it and creating a sort of spec sheet. Some of this is directly quoted from whatever Source I was looking at some of this is based on my personal speculation from a combination of 10 or so different sources...

We'll know for sure on thrusday night but as of now here is what I suspect we'll see

I should note that it seems MS has essentially taken a look at what people liked about the Xbox, what people liked about the PS2 but then they looked at cell phones. A lot of the ideas present in the Xbox 360 is taken from cell phones, so keep that in mind as you read through this.

General:
Name: Xbox360
Price: $299 (-/+ $50 if they make different versions for sale)
Release date: early to mid November
Color: Smooth white with dark gray accents and green lighting.

Features:
-Support for 4 wireless controllers
-3 USB2.0 ports
-The DVD drive will be a 'simple' DVD9-drive, with support for: DVD-video, DVD-Rom, DVD-R/RW, CD-DA, CD-Rom, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG photo CD
-A detachable 40GB HDD (included)
-Wi-Fi 802.11 A, B and G support
- 10/100 Ethernet
-IR port
-Detachable/changeable face plates to customize the appearance

Games:
All games will be required to have full support for...
-the 16:9 widescreen format
-720p and 1080i HDTV
-full screen anti-aliasing
-Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound
-Custom Sound Tracks
-Xbox Live

Hardware:
-IBM CPU (based off of the Power PC architecture) with 3 symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each with 1 MB L2 cache.
-The ATI GPU will run at 500MHz with 10 MB embedded DRAM
-System memory will be 512MB of GDDR3 RAM at 700 MHz and 21.6GB/s front-side bus bandwidth.
-The system as a whole "will deliver over a Tera-FLOP" of processing power

Controllers:
-Similar in shape to the current "S Type" controller
-Black and white buttons have been removed in favor of shoulder buttons above the triggers
-Back and Start Buttons have been re located to the center of the controller
-All controllers are wireless
-a lit 3D Xbox360 logo will be on the controller itself and indicate which "player" is assigned to that controller
-(speculative) a "Live" button will be available that allows players to enter the Xbox Live "Dashboard" at anytime during a game to check stats, messages, and other Xbox Live features.
-expansion slots on the controllers have been been removed in place of a single hybrid USB port (who's function is unknown)
-memory cards will be 64MB and will fill one of 2 slots on the console itself.
-A (probably optional) web-cam type device will be available (unclear how it will connect, most likely through the USB Ports on the console)
-Xbox Live Headsets will be available (unclear how it will connect, either though the hybrid port on the bottom of the controller or wirelessly to the Xbox360 itself)
-A Media remote will be available (optional) and allow for standard DVD-remote type functions as well as buttons for eject, power, record, Xbox Live, and "Windows" (unsure what that button does but it's on the remote)

Xbox Live (online service):
There will be 3 versions of live Silver, Gold, Platinum
Silver: Free for everyone, allows online play on the weekends, downloads of added content, game demos, etc.
Gold: $50 a year, allows online play all the time as well as all of the download features of the Silver package.
Platinum (speculative): $30 a month, allows for complete access to all current Xbox titles as well as all Xbox360 titles that are over a year old through a "games on demand" type of service. If you sign up for a 2 year contract you can purchase the Xbox360 for $99

Also here are some "leaked" photos:
user posted image
The New Logo

user posted image
The New Controller

user posted image
The New Remote

user posted image
Face Plate Pattern Samples

user posted image
The New Xbox 360, headset, camera, and controller

IMO I'm very pleased overall with my only disappointments being in the supported media formats. I understand it would be difficult to include HD-DVD especially with Toshiba and Sony in talks over a universal format, undoubtedly pushing it back. But no WM9 support? No DVD-A or SACD support?  sad.gif

And for those of you complaining about the look/color/etc... get a fucking life... it's nit picking at best, you can never please everyone, especially in something so subjective such as looks. And if that's your biggest complaint, well then you're just looking for something to complain about because no console EVER has been so good looking that everyone liked it.  tongue.gif

And those complaining about new wireless technologies need to embrace change, change is good, change is your friend, we can't all go around using archaic technologies forever... don't knock it until you try it (and no one has ever tried Xbox360 wireless yet so don't compare it to some old N64 IR wireless POS you tried back in the day, people used to drive model Ts too it doesn't mean todays Corvettes are the same).  tongue.gif

THAT IS ALL  ph34r.gif  beerchug.gif

This post has been edited by twistedsymphony: May 10 2005, 06:44 PM

Arius

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 11:39:00 AM »

FROM WWw.GAMESINDUSTRY.BIZ

Development sources downplay alleged Xbox 360 spec sheet
GamesIndustry.biz staff 09:47 10/05/2005
Close but no cigar, say coders working on next-gen Xbox as new "leak" hits the net

Developers working on the Xbox 360 hardware have expressed doubts at the validity of a "leaked" bullet-point list of specifications purporting to be those of the Xbox 360 next-gen console and the accompanying Xbox Live service.

The console specifications, which were posted to the Internet this week, are largely consistent with previous leaks about the Xbox 360 hardware - but a number of unusual flaws in the document, pointed out by development sources, suggest that this is not an official MS document.

"It's most probably a list made by someone who knows more about the official spec than the average hack, but I doubt it's an official MS spec sheet," we were told by one developer who has experience of the new format.

"It's probably broadly in line with the spec that will be announced, but may be off on some of the finer details," he added.

One example is the mention of a 20GB detachable hard disk, when a 40GB unit is clearly visible in last Friday's leaked photographs.

The hardware spec sheet offers details on the central and graphics processing unit architectures, memory details and bandwidth potential, and claims that Xbox 360 will support a host of CD and DVD derivatives, output in widescreen and the much vaunted high-definition resolutions as standard, boast a trio of USB 2.0 ports, support for four wireless controllers, and the aforementioned detachable 20GB drive.

It will also be "Wi-Fi ready", the spec sheet claims, although whether that is intended to imply that the system actually has Wi-Fi hardware (as is widely expected) or that it's simply ready to plug an additional Wi-Fi module into is not clarified.

The Xbox Live spec included on the sheet is arguably more interesting, mentioning a pair of subscription options (one free, and one paid-for) and some key concepts like the ability to access Live to download premium content without actually being a paid up subscriber who can play games online.

We must stress that MS has made absolutely no comment on this information, and is unlikely to do so if past form is anything to go by. We don't have long to wait, however, with the MTV special which will officially unveil the console planned for Thursday evening in the USA.

so I wouldnt use that as a Final list

wasting

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 11:41:00 AM »

couldnt agree more about the look, i wouldnt care if they put it in the current xbox case and just painted it white its all about whats inside that matters

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 11:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(Arius @ May 10 2005, 12:38 PM)
so I wouldnt use that as a Final list

It's not a direct rip of that list...

zot23

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 11:53:00 AM »

As always, a pleasure to read one of your posts twisted.  A nice compilation and respite from the usual namecalling/ass grabbing that seems to dominate this forum.  Thanks bud, appreciate it.

And for anyone who hates the white color, ever think that they might provide a host of skins and covers for the console/controllers?  And what's a better base color for that than white?  Nothing is better as an empty canvas...

xb_xpmoder

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 11:56:00 AM »

Nice post looks good and i beleive that most of those specs are going to be correct.
We'll know thursdays for sure.....cant wait pop.gif me by my computer and watching mtv for the special to start.

FlashKick

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 11:58:00 AM »

^ nice one

xzphatboizx69

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 02:10:00 PM »

very nice, tiwsted. your a great asset to the scene.

Ozy

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 08:12:00 AM »

Maybe you should pin it to prevent the many topics asking the same thing.

crustyteacup

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 11:16:00 AM »

thankyou for the excellent post, maybe everyone will stop posting all these threads now and instead look at this

Deftech

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 11:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(crustyteacup @ May 11 2005, 10:15 AM)
thankyou for the excellent post, maybe everyone will stop posting all these threads now and instead look at this

yeah riiiiiiight

while some of us appreciate Twisteds efforts, it will go unseen by most and the crap will filter in as b4.  grr.gif

mastergwaha

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 11:50:00 AM »

so.... youre saying theres a chance?

Ozy

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 11:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(mastergwaha @ May 11 2005, 04:49 PM)
so.... youre saying theres a chance?

A chance at what?

miggidy

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 11:58:00 AM »

Twisted,
you should check out this thread....

http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/show_m...20890960&page=0

Ozy

• Archived User