xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Cell Processor Demo  (Read 4369 times)

crobar

• Archived User
Cell Processor Demo
« on: April 25, 2005, 09:38:00 AM »

i dont post in this section at all but figured this might be somthing worth posting...

http://www.gizmodo.c...x-48-100853.php

wonder how the 360 will hold up...

Ozy

• Archived User
Cell Processor Demo
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 09:48:00 AM »

I wouldn't know. It sounds great, I just hope it won't be too much better then the xbox 360's power otherwise one console would die quicker then the other.
Just have to wait untill E3.

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
Cell Processor Demo
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 09:49:00 AM »

Wow. It is obvious to anyone (except fanboys) that the PS3 will be more powerful than the XBOX 360. It will be for the same reason the XBOX is more powerful than the PS2............it came out over a year later, resulting in newer, faster, and better technology.

This post has been edited by deftonesmx17: Apr 25 2005, 04:50 PM

crobar

• Archived User
Cell Processor Demo
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 09:52:00 AM »

kinda sad really...
were all so used to touting xbox a sthe super car of the consoles
and that might not be true in the next realease...

violator*

• Archived User
Cell Processor Demo
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 09:57:00 AM »

I wouldn't get too excited about either console until you see the games and the other stuff you can do.

raydn

• Archived User
Cell Processor Demo
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 09:58:00 AM »

Even if ps3 is more powerful will likely make little difference to the next gen multi format games. I belive they will be developed for the 2nd gen xbox (having a 6 - 10month sales head start) then ported to ps3. The way that the current gen xbox ended up with ports of ps2 games with inferrior graphics when the xbox was capable of more.

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
Cell Processor Demo
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 10:02:00 AM »

Its seems that M$ is jumping the gun this time. The Xbox has just over the last year started to really shine and give the PS2 a run for its money. Until I bought an HDTV I didnt notice that much of a difference between the PS2 and XBOX. I was happy with my PS2 and didnt feel the need for a new system. With the PS2 having little to no HD support the XBOX is a clear choice for HDTV owners. Now the developers have really figured out what they are doing with the XBOX while the PS2 was maxed out about a year ago. M$ is doing what SEGA did and SEGA caused their own demise. Ahead of its time and to little time between systems was SEGA's problem; SEGA CD, 32X, and Dreamcast anyone?

mastergwaha

• Archived User
Cell Processor Demo
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 10:03:00 AM »

truth be told, if XBOX wasnt more powerful than the PS2. then why would team ninja want to develope for it? that was MSs foot in the door last round. more power.
i really think that theyre still using this "everyone thinks: xbox gfx > ps2 gfx" so "xbox2 > ps3" to sell their shit. and if ps3 is more powerful so what? team ninja will go back to its sony companion and splinter cell will look better on ps3 than xbox 2.
so if y'all are bitchin then it seems that great gfx plus best game designers only work for the most powerful system at the time. meaning the system with less specs is shitty. like everyone thinks of ps2. (lol and it is, cause its running at 300mhz! GWHAHAH! silly ps2)
youre telling me that the only reason you guys bought xbox were cause of the "games" that werent on the release list when it first came out? nah. yall bought xbox for gfx and smooth 60fps rates. so if the xbox2 is to the ps3 as the ps2 is to the xbox now. then you guys will be in sonys camp.
im definitely buying both. (hey! much liek now!) cause until there is a CLEAR BEST SYSTEM (and i mean ps1 < xbox now comparison) all the good games are gonna be split. =(  rock out, with your BOX out!

EDIT: i totaly agree with deftonesmx17 here on this one guys.

This post has been edited by mastergwaha: Apr 25 2005, 05:06 PM

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
Cell Processor Demo
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 10:12:00 AM »

Owning all the systems in a generation is always the best choice. Yup, I even have my Gaycube. Without it I wouldnt have been able to play the Resident Evil remake or the Metal Gear Solid remake, both classics.

jk009

• Archived User
Cell Processor Demo
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 10:33:00 AM »

Direct power really doesn't matter.  You can have the fastest technology with the best parts, but what that does do for the consumer?  I think not!  With the power all you can do is rave, "It has the best technology!" but where is the Xbox 1 now, the greatest power but it is Number two!  
Reasons for the Xbox Number 2:
A) No fanbase, first console
B ) No information to the devs, again first console
C) No games to give the support, due to reason B
Positives:
A) Best Online
cool.gif Good start: Halo, Splinter Cell, So forth
C) Good technology for the devs, Reason B
C) Backwards Compat, for the PS1 people
D) Game support: MGS and soforth
Reasons it could not be:
A) Online not so great
B ) No tech
C) No hdd
That pretty much sums up what is happening and what could happen with these reasons.  The games are what make or break a system!  The stats have little influence.  The cell could be faster, but even with that speed it won't do any good until you see a game with so many players online or so many characters and in base configurations that need the speed to use it!

zero129

• Archived User
Cell Processor Demo
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 11:11:00 AM »

Just remember 1 thing, the Cell processer that sony etc is showing off atm will not be the same one that will be in the ps3.

Think of it like this, look at the p3 processer, its something like a p3 600Mhz that was in the xbox when it was released, but at the time the was much more powerfull p3 processers out too, i think upto 1Ghz. now ms didn't just pop the fastest p3 processer into the xbox cos of the price, it will be the same with sony, at the moment they are just showing off one of the fastest versions of the cell chip, but the one thats going into the ps3 will be a much more slower one then the one you are seeing being showed off, and then the one in that video.

This post has been edited by zero129: Apr 25 2005, 06:12 PM

Ozy

• Archived User
Cell Processor Demo
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 11:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(mastergwaha @ Apr 25 2005, 03:02 PM)
truth be told, if XBOX wasnt more powerful than the PS2. then why would team ninja want to develope for it? that was MSs foot in the door last round. more power.
i really think that theyre still using this "everyone thinks: xbox gfx > ps2 gfx" so "xbox2 > ps3" to sell their shit. and if ps3 is more powerful so what? team ninja will go back to its sony companion and splinter cell will look better on ps3 than xbox 2.
so if y'all are bitchin then it seems that great gfx plus best game designers only work for the most powerful system at the time. meaning the system with less specs is shitty. like everyone thinks of ps2. (lol and it is, cause its running at 300mhz! GWHAHAH! silly ps2)
youre telling me that the only reason you guys bought xbox were cause of the "games" that werent on the release list when it first came out? nah. yall bought xbox for gfx and smooth 60fps rates. so if the xbox2 is to the ps3 as the ps2 is to the xbox now. then you guys will be in sonys camp.
im definitely buying both. (hey! much liek now!) cause until there is a CLEAR BEST SYSTEM (and i mean ps1 < xbox now comparison) all the good games are gonna be split. =(  rock out, with your BOX out!

EDIT: i totaly agree with deftonesmx17 here on this one guys.

I also bought an xbox for power, and the xbox 360 will probably be a lot weaker in raw power then then the ps3.
I wont buy a ps3 though as the controllers on the psx and ps2 hurt my hands, the analogue sticks are in the wrong place forcing your thumbs to be used at unnatural angles.

I will stick with the xbox 360 because, it is erganomic, the xbox had more games I want than the ps2 ever had, better customer service, loads of features out the box and ofcourse M$ has more money to battle sony then sony will ever have unless blu-ray takes off.

M$ has go so many developers on their side and practacly own the every common OS used so you know compatability will be no problem.

If, ps3 has some good games this time round and change their controller to something that doesn't break your hands I may buy it but apart from the power it has nothing I want in a games console.

Wow it has blu-ray! If I wanted a HD DVD media player I would buy one. What use is a console when the most exciting thing is the dashboard?

This post has been edited by Ozy: Apr 25 2005, 06:22 PM

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
Cell Processor Demo
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 11:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(zero129 @ Apr 25 2005, 12:10 PM)
Just remember 1 thing, the Cell processer that sony etc is showing off atm will not be the same one that will be in the ps3.

Think of it like this, look at the p3 processer, its something like a p3 600Mhz that was in the xbox when it was released, but at the time the was much more powerfull p3 processers out too, i think upto 1Ghz. now ms didn't just pop the fastest p3 processer into the xbox cos of the price, it will be the same with sony, at the moment they are just showing off one of the fastest versions of the cell chip, but the one thats going into the ps3 will be a much more slower one then the one you are seeing being showed off, and then the one in that video.

The same can be said about the Xbox 360 and this argument is pointless. Cost.....if M$ is going to throw 2 or more PowerPC CPU's in there, then cost isnt the main issue. With the logic of your statement then there is no way in hell M$ is going to put in the XBOX 360 what they say they are. How many home PC's have multicore CPU's?

Ozy

• Archived User
Cell Processor Demo
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 11:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(deftonesmx17 @ Apr 25 2005, 04:23 PM)
The same can be said about the Xbox 360 and this argument is pointless. Cost.....if M$ is going to throw 2 or more PowerPC CPU's in there, then cost isnt the main issue. With the logic of your statement then there is no way in hell M$ is going to put in the XBOX 360 what they say they are. How many home PC's have multicore CPU's?

How many PCs have cell and blu-ray?

Edit - IBM said they can manufacture the multicore processor cheap enough for it to be in a console.

This post has been edited by Ozy: Apr 25 2005, 06:28 PM

deftonesmx17

• Archived User
Cell Processor Demo
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2005, 11:30:00 AM »

QUOTE(Ozy @ Apr 25 2005, 12:15 PM)
I will stick with the xbox 360 because, it is erganomic, the xbox had more games I want than the ps2 ever had, better customer service, loads of features out the box and ofcourse M$ has more money to battle sony then sony will ever have unless blu-ray takes off.

1. What feature came out of the box, cd ripping was the only thing. sure it had a network adapter but unless you pay M$ for xbox live service it is useless(leave xlink out of this as the ps2 can use it also) Sure it had dvd playback if you once again forked more money out to M$ to buy the remote rolleyes.gif

2. I dont think you understand that $ONY has plenty of money. M$ isnt the end all of money making companies. rolleyes.gif
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10