xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Live 2.0 - Questions And Answers  (Read 994 times)

hahjr

• Archived User
Live 2.0 - Questions And Answers
« on: May 11, 2004, 01:55:00 PM »

blink.gif

Tarzan7456

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 03:00:00 AM »

QUOTE (stupid noob @ Sep 19 2004, 01:02 AM)
All right, I'm getting frustrated.

I just bought the Starter kit for my Xbox.

I have a v1.0 Xbox with an Xecutor 2.3pro modchip and a 120GB hard drive.

Whenever I try and connect on for the first time (with chip off obviously) it says it must update my Xbox first, then it will say the normal stuff. Then it begins to try and update, a few seconds later it says, "Unable to update due to Techincal Difficulties, please try again later." this has been going on for a few hours and it slightly differs from the error message on the first post in this topic. Anyone know how to make it do the update?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have the exact same problem!!!

My modchip is an Alladin. The modchip is off and my harddrive is locked. I´ve tried to update for 5 days without success.

So...guys out there who are experts of X-Box Live....please help us!!!!

Tarzan7456

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 12:04:00 AM »

I FOUND THE SOLOUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

Obvious had I MS Dash 2.0 already installed and the error message came when MS Dash should update to 3.0. So....I installed an older version of MS Dash=1,0 and went LIVE.

Boom.....update to 2,0 - no problem
Boom.....update to 3.0 - no problem

Since 8 pm last night..I AM (A)LIVE!!!!!

Hope this will help you to, stupid noob  rolleyes.gif

zimbo_ouen

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 05:49:00 PM »

how can you tell if you have been banned on xbox live?  blink.gif

Crime_Lord

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 05:53:00 PM »

and i just want to play xbox online for free.

feet14

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 09:55:00 AM »

zimbo_ouen and Crime_Lord - please post your questions as a new topic rather than clogging up an unrelated topic.

shanafan

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2003, 11:04:00 PM »

I have read a lot of posts about Live 2.0, done my own testing, had the great help of others, and here are my results. This topic will cover a lot of questions about Live 2.0, and this topic will be periodically updated.

Last Updated: Tuesday, September 30th

Lastest News
I have gathered new information about "Live Aware" games.

There is a new Live 2.0 update that is out. To get it, just load Live 2.0

No word yet what the update updates, as it might just be there to improve Live.

Questions and Answers
- What is Live 2.0?
- Other than the menus, how else is Live 2.0 different?
- How can I get this update?
- Can I stop this update?
- Can I stop Live from always connecting when I go the MS dash?
- What is auto sign-in then?
- Can I remove Live 2.0 from my Xbox?
- What if I don't have a backup of C:?
- Can I use Live 2.0 with my modded Xbox?
- So what's the deal with these "Live Aware" games? (UPDATED)
- If I make a backup of a "Live Aware" game, can I still play it without getting banned? (UPDATED)
- Does MS scan your XBox HD now?
- Any tricks I can do with the Live 2.0 menu?

What is Live 2.0?
Live 2.0 is the new MS dashboard that is out for Live. It has the same MS dash interface as Live 1.0, but when you access the Live tab, you will be introduced to new menus. It has such new features such as a Live news page and a voice chat room that is just for chatting.

Other than the menus, how else is Live 2.0 different?
One of the big things about Live 2.0 is when you boot the MS dash, and you have a Xbox Live account on your Xbox, Live will automatically connect when you load the MS dash.

How can I get this update?
If you access the Live tab from the MS dash with an unbanned EEPROM, you will get a message from Live saying that your system must be updated.

Can I stop this update?
Nope. The update is now automatic when you click on the Live tab.

Can I stop Live from always connecting when I go the MS dash?
Yes. When your modchip is off, make sure that you disable the auto sign-in in the MS dash (its in the settings menu). When this is disabled, Live will not connect when you load the MS dash. You will be at the main MS dash.

What is auto sign-in then?
Auto sign-in works by, if you have it enabled, you can have your Xbox automatically sign into Live with the last account that was used when you load the MS dash. If auto sign-in is disabled, when you load the MS dash, you can select which account you want to use by going into the Live tab. Also, when disabled, Live will not connect when you load the MS dash.

Can I remove Live 2.0 from my Xbox?
Sure can. Access your C: Drive of your Xbox and delete your entire C: Drive. Then, replace it AT THE SAME TIME with your backup of C: before you installed Live 2.0 on your Xbox.

What if I don't have a backup of C:?
First, always have a backup of C:. Its a very smart move. But, it was a move you didn't make. I do believe Slayer's Installer (MS coded files, don't request it) has a option to restore C:.

Can I use Live 2.0 with my modded Xbox?
Yes, you can. Just don't access Live and now the Live 2.0 MS dash with your modchip on. If you boot EvolutionX or any other custom dash, Live will not connect. Just turn your modchip off and boot the MS dash. Also, I recommend taking out the link to the MS dash in EvolutionX.

So what's the deal with these "Live Aware" games?
A Xbox game with "Live Aware" will always be connected to Live when you are playing the game, even a single player level. It allows you to play a single-player game and still check your Friends List to see if your friends are online yet. Just choose your gamertag account as your profile for the game.

If I make a backup of a "Live Aware" game, can I still play it without getting banned?
Yes. When you choose your profile for a game, do not select your Xbox Live gamertag. If you do, you will connect to Live, and will be banned if your modchip is on. So, just make an offline profile for the game.

Does MS scan your XBox HD now?
Nope. However, in the terms for Xbox Live (that you agree to when making an account), MS does have the right to do such a scan.

Any tricks I can do with the Live 2.0 menu?
If you press Y, and then X, the Live menu will float around the screen. Even if you reboot your Xbox, it will still float. So, to turn it off, press Y, and then X.

This post has been edited by shanafan on Oct 2 2003, 12:57 AM

brienj

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2003, 09:32:00 PM »

So you verified what I said to be correct?  smile.gif

I hope so.  I think people would believe you over me, but I guess I can't blame them.  smile.gif

Sorry if this doesn't pertain to the thread, I just would like to know that somebody did indeed verify what I said.  Thanks.  smile.gif

shanafan

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2003, 09:49:00 PM »

QUOTE (brienj @ Sep 13 2003, 01:32 AM)
So you verified what I said to be correct?  smile.gif

I hope so.  I think people would believe you over me, but I guess I can't blame them.  smile.gif

Sorry if this doesn't pertain to the thread, I just would like to know that somebody did indeed verify what I said.  Thanks.  smile.gif

I have just done some more testing. I go back on what I said again.  laugh.gif

Here is what I did:

I removed my Xbox Live account from my Xbox. Rebooted my Xbox and then put account back on. I selected my account in the Live tab, and Live connected in a mere second.

I unplugged my network cable and the Xbox loading screen (with the green X), was delayed several seconds. I plugged the cable back in, and there was no delay.

So, I am saying now that Live will always connect in the MS dash with Live 2.0 no matter what.

Again, I might be wrong. But, what I am saying is playing it safe. No risks  smile.gif

Of course, if I am wrong, please let me know with some good testing information!

Telemachus

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2003, 10:58:00 AM »

Just curious about one thing...

I have noted that when I unplug my box for several hours, and plug it back in, that the first thing that loads is the MSDASH (you all know this, too.  It is how you set the clock).

Won't this now be the NATIVE 2.0 dash that loads, and not the one that is linked from EVOX?

This could be quite catastrophic if the cable is plugged in, because is is the X2 bios that is loading up, and defaulting to the XBOXDASH, is it not?

Also, has their been any clarification on whether or not it will re-update if you just swap out the XBL 2.0 dash with an earlier one?

Shan, thanks for cleaning up the pinned posts... this board looks great!

This post has been edited by Telemachus: Sep 13 2003, 06:02 PM

paulthims

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2003, 02:28:00 PM »

QUOTE (shanafan @ Sep 13 2003, 06:49 AM)
Again, I might be wrong. But, what I am saying is playing it safe. No risks  smile.gif

Of course, if I am wrong, please let me know with some good testing information!

Testing Xbox Packets

=====================================
Testing Parameters:

Computer:
Ethernet: Realtek RTL Ethernet Adapter, 10mbps
Static IP: 192.168.1.44, 255.255.255.0
Packet Sniffer: Packetyzer 0.6.7

Router:
Linksys BEFSR41 EtherFast Cable/DSL Router
(note: to rest the router between test, I turn off its power for a few minutes and then begin the next test.)

Modem:
Cable Modem: Motorola SURFboard SB5100
ISP: Connecticut, United States

Xbox #1:
Live: v1.0, no live account present on hard drive
Mod Off Network Settings: IP and DNS are automatic
Mod On Network Settings: static 192.168.1.50
Motherboard: v1.0 (MS refurbished)
Modchip: X-ecuter 2.1 Pro
BIOS: Xecuter2 4976.02

Xbox #2:
Live: v2.0, no live account present on hard drive, auto sign-in turned off
Mod Off Network Settings: IP and DNS are automatic
Mod On Network Settings: static 192.168.1.51
Motherboard: v1.0
Modchip: X-ecuter 2.1 Lite
BIOS: Xecuter2 4976.02

Memory Card:
Single Live account stored on memory card. Though I had updated this account to v2.0 on Thursday morning, September 11, I had not yet played a game online using this account.

Protocol Note:
I know the percentages don't add up to 100%.  I'm just noting what Packetyzer reports.

Test A: Power On, Mod Chip Off:

-------------------------------------
Xbox #1:
During the blubber screen (Animated image that ends with green X and MS logo), traffic occurred during the one second between the MS logo appearing and the dashboard loading.  By the time the dashboard loaded, DHCP Discovery and Assignment had concluded.  Four times, the router asked if anyone on the network was using 192.168.1.100. Receiving no response from other machines on the network, the Router assigned 192.168.1.100 to Xbox #1.

Protocols used for this transaction were:
Ethernet: 4.79%
Internet Protocol: 3.91%
User Datagram Protocol: 1.57%
Bootstrap Protocol: 82.97%
Address Resolution Protocol: 4.11%

Xbox #2:
Nothing noticeably different from the User Interface.  The packet information, however, is different.  Prior to upgrading this Xbox to Xbox Live v2.0, its packet information was identical to the XBL v1.0 box.

Ethernet: 7.17%
Address Resolution Protocol: 9.56%
Internet Protocol: 3.41%
User Datagram Protocol: 1.37%
Bootstrap Protocol: 72.35%

Test B: Power On, Mod Chip On:

Xbox #1:
During the blubber screen (Animated image that ends with green X and Xecuter logo), traffic occurred during the one second between the Xecuter logo appearing and EvolutionX loading.  By the time EvolutionX loaded, the Xbox had Broadcast that it has 192.168.1.50.

Ethernet: 23.33%
Address Resolution Protocol: 46.67%

Xbox #2:
Nothing noticeably different, except for the IP address.  The exact same protocols were used with the same amounts.

Test C: Power On, Mod Chip Off, Click on Xbox Live from Dash:

Xbox #1:
Not going to do this test because I'm not ready to upgrade this box to XBL v2.0.  Sorry.

Xbox #2:
Boot to dash remained the same as Test A.  I reset Packetyzer before clicking on Xbox Live, so these results do not include the boot process.  With Packetyzer reset to zero, I clicked on Xbox Live.  To my surprise, no packets were exchanged.  No traffic at all.  XBL just sat at the Select Account screen, offering me two options: New Account & Account Recovery.

None

Test D: Power On, Mod Chip Off, Click on Network Settings:

(note: For XBL v1.0, network settings are found within the XBL menu.  For XBL v2.0, however, network settings are found within Settings > Network Settings.)

Xbox #1:
Skipped

Xbox #2:
I begin this test after a successful boot to the dashboard (see Test A).  I click on Settings, no network traffic occurs.  I click on Network Settings and network traffic begins.  By the time the Network Settings page loads, the following packets have been exchanged.

Test E: Power On, Mod Chip Off, Click on Network Settings, click on Connect:

Xbox #1:
Skipped

Xbox #2:
Continuing from Test D, I reset Packetyzer and click on Connect.  Remember, there is no XBL account stored on this hard drive and the memory card is not installed.

The Connect Status screen takes about ten seconds to complete its four steps.  It first spends a lot of steps going through the DHCP process again.  It then begins an SSDP: M-Search via HTTP/1.1 to Destination Address 239.255.255.250.  There were 24 steps for the SSDP process, which concluded the Connect Status menu.  I successfully connected to Xbox Live v2.0 without using an XBL account. No surprises here.

Ethernet: 8.07%
Data: 2.04%
Internet Protocol: 7.10%
User Datagram Protocol: 2.84%
Bootstrap Protocol: 37.61%
Hypertext Transfer Protocol: 34.19%
Address Resolution Protocol: 4.97%

Test F: Power On, Mod Chip Off, Exit on Network Settings by clicking on the B button:

Xbox #1:
Skipped

Xbox #2:
Didn't really expect this, but when I exited Network Settings so that I could return to the Dashboard, I noticed some more DHCP network traffic.

Test G: Power On, Mod Chip Off, Click on Xbox Live, Insert Memory Card, Select XBL v2.0 account:

Xbox #1:
Skipped

Xbox #2:
I click on Xbox Live and no network traffic occurs (see Test C).  Xbox Live waits at the Select Account screen, offering me two options: New Account & Account Recovery.  Still, no network traffic.

I then insert my Memory Card, which contains one Xbox Live v2.0 account.  Instantly, my XBL account shows up in the Select Account screen.  Still, no network traffic.

I select my XBL account and network traffic occurs.  The new XBL v2.0 screen appears and waits for my command.  To my surprise, very little traffic occurs.  Here are the protocols that were used.

Ethernet: 23.33%
Address Resolution Protocol: 46.67%

Test H: Power On, Mod Chip Off, Click on Xbox Live, Insert Memory Card, Select XBL v2.0 account, select Friends:

Xbox #1:
Skipped

Xbox #2:
My list of friends came up.  Not that had for XBL to do, since I only have two.  Here are the packets exchanged.

Ethernet: 5.32%
Internet Protocol: 3.80%
User Datagram Protocol: 1.52%
Bootstrap Protocol: 80.61%
Address Resolution Protocol: 5.32%

Test I: Power On, Mod Chip Off, Memory Card with XBL v2.0 account present, Automatic Sign-In turned Off

Xbox #1:
Skipped

Xbox #2:
This time, I boot the Xbox with the Memory Card present in one of my controllers.  Since Automatic Sign-In is disabled, I get the normal Dashboard.  I also get the same network traffic.  Nothing appears to be different between  booting with the Memory Card installed or not.  Traffic is the same.

Test J: Power On, Mod Chip Off, Memory Card with XBL v2.0 account present, Automatic Sign-In turned On

Xbox #1:
Skipped

Xbox #2:
This time, I boot the Xbox with the Memory Card present in one of my controllers and Automatic Sign-In is enabled.  As before, network activity begins at the moment the MS logo appears on the blubber screen.  After seeing the Ghost Recon looking busy signal, I get the new Xbox Live v2.0 dash.  Once the dash loads, network traffic stops.

Ethernet: 7.95%
Address Resolution Protocol: 11.36%
Internet Protocol: 3.25%
User Datagram Protocol: 1.30%
Bootstrap Protocol: 68.83%

CONCLUSIONS (more like speculations):

1. Test A indicates that upgrading to Xbox Live v2.0 does change network traffic

2. Test B indicates that upgrading does not effect EvolutionX settings

3. Test C indicates that if you do not have an XBL account installed on your hard drive (or an attached Memory Card) neither the dashboard nor the Xbox Live menu will initiate any network traffic.

4. Tests D, E, and F indicate that you can successful test your network settings and connect to Xbox Live even if you do not have an Xbox Live account.

5. Test G indicates that network traffic does not occur when you click on Xbox Live from the Dashboard, nor does it occur when you insert a Memory Card that contains an XBL account.  It is not until you select your XBL account that traffic begins.

6. Test H just shows some traffic patterns within XBL v2.0

7. Test I indicates that if you have an Xbox Live v2.0 account present but Automatic Sign-In is disabled, your Xbox does not automatically try to connect to Xbox Live.

8. Test J indicates that if you have an Xbox Live v2.0 account present and Automatic Sign-In is enabled, your Xbox does automatically connect to Xbox Live.

My Credentials:
I'm a web developer, not a network administrator.  I don't fully understand this information myself.  But I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

shanafan

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2003, 05:34:00 PM »

Thanks for the tests. Helps to bring my light to Auto Sign-In.

Let me ask you this though, how many times did you retry a test? Like, would the results be exactly the same?

If you were running another web-enabled app on your computer, could the results have changed?

This post has been edited by shanafan: Sep 14 2003, 12:35 AM

brienj

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2003, 10:56:00 PM »

Nice work.  smile.gif

I could have made a lengthy post like you did, but don't worry, you'll prolly get the same response I have been getting.  People just don't want to believe the facts.  biggrin.gif

I do commend you for your effort though, and job well done.  smile.gif

shanafan

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2003, 11:18:00 PM »

No one is calling anybody a liar.

I think its just fair it assess that you should not boot the MS dash with the modchip on. Why risk getting banned anyways?

If you want to use the MS dash with modchip on, just follow my short tutorial above.

brienj

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2003, 08:14:00 AM »

QUOTE (shanafan @ Sep 14 2003, 12:11 AM)
No one is calling anybody a liar.

I think its just fair it assess that you should not boot the MS dash with the modchip on. Why risk getting banned anyways?

If you want to use the MS dash with modchip on, just follow my short tutorial above.

Well, you never called me a liar, but several others already have.  I know I haven't posted here alot, but I am into the Xbox scene more than most people around here realize.

I agree that you shouldn't even be using the MS dash with the modchip enabled, that is just not a smart thing to do.  Now using a modified MS dash, that is a different story and even with the old MS dash, I had a shortcut to a modified MS dash in my Evox menu.  smile.gif

All the things I have been sharing about the new dash, are so people can start getting rid of the rumors about it that started before it was even released.  I noticed that some people are still trying to spread some rumors, but for some reason, people just eat it up.  biggrin.gif

I am going into what, the fourth day with this new dash and STILL no ban.  It is definately obvious that the new dash is like the old one, except for the auto-login IF you set it up that way, and IF you have an account on the HD.  There are no HD scans or any other such nonsense.

I really believe that MS will never go after the modchip users, just the people that mod their Xboxes the "easy" way, i.e. font hacks and stuff.  This new dash obviously was meant to get rid of the font hack as a byproduct of installing it, but I really think MS had good intentions of giving us a new dash with cool features.  I mean come on, you can talk for free long-distance with your buddies.  That's really cool.  smile.gif

MS will only be worried about the people that use "easy" methods to play backups, because most of those hacks will only allow backups, because their isn't much room on the HD to get into homebrew, emulators, and other stuff that the mod-chip user uses the mod-chip for.

Ok, sorry for the long rant, but I needed to get that off my chest after all the bashing I have been getting lately by people that claim they are in the know, but really aren't.

Shanafan, you keep up the good work, with your tutorials and stuff.  smile.gif
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7