xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Need Help Identifying Whether Issue Is Opical Drive Or Hdd  (Read 199 times)

Aldanga

• Archived User
Need Help Identifying Whether Issue Is Opical Drive Or Hdd
« on: August 26, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »

Why would the hard drive cause ODD issues?

Your laser is likely going bad. Better to replace that than the ODD itself, as that is a lot more involved. You can find them for about $7-12, once you know what drive you have. eBay is good for such parts, though make sure you buy new rather than used. GIYF for finding the right laser model for your particular drive.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »

if its secnd hand then one thing i have noticed that can happen is when people open drives to flash them or try to flash them.. examine them "or whatever the heck els they like to do" that the ribon cable from the laser to the pcb gets pinched or moved or simply damaged.. (i guess wear and tear could damage it too)
when this happens what you describe as your issue is the symptoms..

so examin that ribbon cable from the laset to the pcb. if it seems damaged then thats probably the problem. its making good data transfers for a set amount of time but when the laser moves the ribon moves to and data transfer can become weaker due to the damage, or even be totaly unable to send data..

Just saying its a option to check before going all out on a new laser..
you dont want to buy a new laser then have the same issue and blame the whole world and its dog when the problem is a $1 ffc,

P.S

it wont be the hard disk..
just ignore the Microsoft trouble shooting guide. they rarley get anything right.

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »

Most likely its a bad laser.  Search ebay for DG-16D4S laser they are like under $10 shipped, just make sure to remove the anti static solder dot on it with a solder iron before you install or it wont work.  Its a simple fix.  Make sure the ribbon cable is not damaged either and that should solve your problem.    I replace lasers in 2010 and 11 Slim systems for people all the tim.