xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Soon To Be New To Xbox  (Read 155 times)

Aldanga

• Archived User
Soon To Be New To Xbox
« on: June 22, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »

I'm going to go ahead and answer since everyone else seems to be enjoying their weekend.  tongue.gif

Dual boot is likely your best option, but someone with more experience in that arena will be able to give you a better answer. (I've got a boatload of consoles, so I don't need to dual boot.)

If you want an old fat 360, get a Jasper. They were first produced around September of 2008, if I recall correctly. Anything after that should be fine. If you want a slim (not the new E version, but the S version), any model should work fine.

For the fats, the R-JTAG seems to be the best for boot times. For slims, RGH 2 is what you want. Team Xecuter has a good resource for newbs posted on their forums. (Linky.) Depending on which direction you want to go, there are several tutorials which will guide you through the process.

pepito01226

• Archived User
Soon To Be New To Xbox
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »

M$ like Sony wanted to slow down the hacking rate of their console. Unlike Sony M$ contracted different company to recreate its board. Over the year since xbox 360 was release there has been 4 different xbox 360 phat board and 2 different slim board with the same remake board on the E line.

Different board require different way of hacking.

Now there is 3 main hack:

Soft mod: simple fast no tools really required beside the xbox360 and a PC, only works on the xbox 360 phat console. (Unsure it will work on any slim)

Jtag: full hack over writes the NAND with a custom firmware which lets you not only run homebrew but different application. Compatible with a lot of system minus the E line( unsure if will work). Requires Set of different tools for different board make (can be a little pricy but end result speak for itself)

RGH: Also known as the "Glitch" mod, same as Jtag but can be reversible and allow you to dual NAND. Comparable to all system, unknown yet for the E. Requires set of different tools for different board make (Can be a little pricy but end result speak for itself).  

There are also external hardware which emulates the optical drive letting you play backup through hard drive.

Two version of external hardware:

Xkey: Same manufacturer that make the 3key for the PS3 which does the same thing on the PS3. Compatible with all different board type for the 360 unknown for the E.

Wasabi: same as Xkey.

Now determining on the console you get you need to check the board type. There are various ways of doing this some require you to disassemble the xbox 360 other just require a quick look up though port and layouts.

It is important to know 3 things about your console

board make

optical drive type( including optical drive firmware version)

dashboard version. (firmware)

Latest console with latest dashboard require you to extract the key from the board using RGH method. This is only for the latest xbox 360 Slim made after september 2012.

Dual NAND is a good way to do a hack it lets you bypass the xmb in the NAND and runs custom firmware then if you need to or want to lets you bypass the custom and runs back into stock firmware to play via live.

Old console can run Dual NAND but latest Slim 360 can not it is incompatible.

Everything else you will have to research and read for yourself. It is important to read read read and read some more. Once you come to a conclusion with information and have any question feel free to open another post and ask away. Till then Read and research make google a personal resourcing friend.

Aldanga

• Archived User
Soon To Be New To Xbox
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »

A couple notes:

There is no soft mod for the 360, so I'm not sure what pepito is referring to. He might be referring to DVD-ROM firmware, but that's not really a soft mod anymore for most drives. Dual boot is still what you want.

If you have any basic questions related directly to this topic, please keep them confined to this topic. Otherwise, do feel free to open new topics as that will make it easier on people searching for such information in the future.

Also, dual boot on slim is possible. As far as I can tell, as of this spring, it is supported on all models. (If I'm wrong about that, pepito, please provide us with the correct information.)

Aldanga

• Archived User
Soon To Be New To Xbox
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »

You're quite right about the 4GB Corona. Thanks for the info.