xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Halo 2 Now Official  (Read 1032 times)

bhang419

• Archived User
Halo 2 Now Official
« on: November 09, 2004, 09:03:00 PM »

Now that Halo 2 is out legally, I would like to say it officialy sucks.  They took all the really cool stuff from Halo and put it in the crapper.  Aside from the super short and easy story line game play went to shit as well.  It is really sad when the most shocking and surprising part of the game was its abrupt ending.  It's like they finished half the game and ran out of time, maybe they spent too much time on online play.  And who asked to play over half the game as a covenant, I thought we hated those guys.  I was all set to liberate earth from an invading army but after a few short earth levels I go gallivanting all over the solar system with Keys daughter,  how lame is that.  Plus I got the same annoying AI in my head.  
      I know no one but myself made it off Halo1 so where did sarge come from and that covenant dude.  Now don't get me wrong sarge was a cool guy but dead is dead, and I saw him blow up while hugging a covenant.  
    Where did the skill GO? I ran through the game laughing, stopping to smell the flowers and talk to the birdies,  while occasionaly shooting at a few enemies.  The campaign levels were painfuly small and cramped, didn't everyone say they liked "Assault on the Control Room" the best?  I guess bungie just wasn't listening.
    I did like the fancy new bit mapping, but does anyone else think the mastercheif looks a little flat?  Must be that lack of polygons from the first, I wonder if online play again had a hand in that.   The weapons all suck, one weapon is the same as the next, and I've seen three year old girls that can throw a grenade farther than MC.  But now he can jump off a 1000 foot cliff and not get hurt, futher removeing skill from the game.
    I use to enjoy beating dead covanent to a bloody pulp and painting the walls with them untill the lag was just too unbearable, now they hardly blead at all.  Drop ships are still invincible, shure I can blow off a couple of guns but thats hardly as satisfying as standing over the rubble of a once magnificent ship.  Did that giant plant remind anyone of little shop of horrors?  Enough bitching for now, but I do think we need a special fourm just for Halo 2 bitching!!!      <

2der

• Archived User
Halo 2 Now Official
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 08:07:00 PM »

dry.gif it sucks.. havent played the campain.. but.. its like..  dry.gif sucks.,. i played like 5 mins.. and then i wanted to go back to halo 1... ..i just hope we dont feel (or I feel the same way) about xbox2...  so.. so far i dont like it..  dry.gif

maxgeek

• Archived User
Halo 2 Now Official
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 09:28:00 PM »

I like it, but then again I didn't think the first was the BEST GAME EVER! So I guess I wasn't expecting the BEST GAME EVER PART 2 from Halo 2. Its fun and has co-op so I'm happy. Only dissapointment is that the XBOX isn't fast enough to run it smoothly. Cut scene have some lag.  <

burnmaster

• Archived User
Halo 2 Now Official
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 08:19:00 PM »

story sucked..........thats why when the pirated version was released bungie was asking for nobody to talk about it, they wanted to spoil the story on their own. laugh.gif

itsmee129

• Archived User
Halo 2 Now Official
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 08:27:00 PM »

now that halo 2 is legally out , im not cool at school anymore!!  unsure.gif

Crypty

• Archived User
Halo 2 Now Official
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 09:39:00 PM »

That was pretty amusing. Im not really liking h2 too much either. Don't get me wrong, it's a superb game. It's just not what I expected from the halo name with over 3 years development under it.
Aside from the story(since I didnt bother following it in either game) I thought the SP experience was pretty sick. Don't like what they did with the mp gameplay though.

Anybody wanna ask bungie for a re-release of halo1 with sp cut out for live and more levels?  <

bigjonny

• Archived User
Halo 2 Now Official
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 10:33:00 PM »

i like it i just think everyone got too excited and stuff. people said this would happen where peopel over hyped it.  so i guess they were right.  its still awsome online and lan party's.  i never really acred for the halo story cause most of the missions where gay.  there were a few i liked and the others like the dark snipin one were boring.  sorry if someone likes those but i didnt.  i like multiplayer more than anything and this one has that so im satisfied.  <

Heet

• Archived User
Halo 2 Now Official
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 11:04:00 PM »

Na, ive been anticipating UIX ever since Jbone said he was gonna finish what he started so it isnt like Ive been nailbiting waiting for this to come out.  I think its a bad ass game all its own, but it isnt the sequal to that amazing game i started playing about 3 years ago.  That game was more like a soldier's simulator (combat evolved)  and this is like having a gun in the Magic Kingdom.  Graffix whores will be satisfied though for sure as this game is definately beautiful.  I wish I could have bought this game before MS did.  Owell, back to halomods.

A guy(P@nZ3r) in reviews summed it up like this, and I agree.

PROS:  
* Great visuals ( OMG the water effects are beautiful)
* Amazing music, i loved #1's music as well. This Music rocks.
* Legendary tougher then #1.
* Funny as hell audio. ( take Srg. Johnson's Sniper )
* Hijack vehicles, throw nades in tanks, ride on enemy driven vehicles.
* Battle creek and blood gulch redone ( Beaver creek & Coagulation)
* PHYSICS , PHYSICS, and more PHYSICS
* Emblem / color Customazation in MP.
* Damage to vehicles ( specific parts )
* Banshee Flips!!!

CONS:  
* Incredibly dumb friendly AI.... let your marines drive. you'll see....
* VERY disappointing ending. VERY... ** EXTREMELY **
* Brutes are not cool. just annoying. not even fun to kill ..
* MP view seems cramped and sluggish movements... good bye H1 perfection
* Dont use pistol unless you are duel weilding.
* Atleast 75% of campaign is played as Elite Covenant  
* Covenant weapons boring (except duel needlers!!!  )
* Repetative maps... same thing over...over and over.
* Sword is n00b-weapon. omg.....
* Jackals too accurate with sniper on Legendary ? pro/conn
* MP lacks gripping game play. i can play H1 for hours... not H2
* Shotgun extremely nerfed...
* Whacks..... they barely hurt.

I only want to add that I cant believe they only included vertical view for widescreen.  WTF?  

This post has been edited by Heet: Nov 10 2004, 07:17 AM <

Axis86

• Archived User
Halo 2 Now Official
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 11:34:00 PM »

Cons
There multiplayer maps are toooooooo bigggggg its not fun for 2-4 ppl i miss the smaller maps  <

2der

• Archived User
Halo 2 Now Official
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 10:50:00 PM »

now that halo 2 is legally out , im not cool at school anymore!! 

laugh.gif laugh.gif

manichispanic

• Archived User
Halo 2 Now Official
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 08:09:00 AM »

Hype kills, i didnt read a sentence about Halo2 prerelease and I think its great. True, the XBL is a little wierd, and the story is not what I expected, but I am far far far from dissapointed.  I bet you vould sell your used copies of Halo2 on eBay for $50 to a kid who really wishes he preordered it right now.  

<

Kev052683

• Archived User
Halo 2 Now Official
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 10:05:00 AM »

I'm going to have to agree about the multiplayer aspect.  I haven't gone much into campaign yet.

Multiplayer feels COMPLETELY different than Halo 1.  You carry a flag and you go about half the speed you went without it.  It's a friggin' flag, not a boulder, come on!  Also, I can somewhat understand the no driving with the flag, but I dont agree with what it does to the game.  You can't gun either.  Yes, it's Halo 2, it's different game, but so far I despise the multiplayer.  It's feels so SSLLOOWW.  Even without the flag, I feel like I'm walking in mud.   One last complaint about it is the fact that the interface seems crammed.  Play with 4 players on a screen, and you'll see that there are so many things on the screen (being ammo, radar, shield, etc) that you can hardly see what's happening.  Even with the radar turned off, we are cursed with that damn circle in the bottom left.

Sorry Bungie, don't think you went in the right direction with your multiplayer - just my opinion though.

Edit - One last thing to rant about is the warthog.  Halo 1 warthog took a learning curve yes, but then I absolutely loved it.  I dont like how this one handles.  Also, WTF is up with the high pitch engine as you're driving?  That sounds like 2 door japanese car, not a "truck"

This post has been edited by Kev052683: Nov 10 2004, 06:14 PM <

iwannadie

• Archived User
Halo 2 Now Official
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 10:10:00 AM »

QUOTE (manichispanic @ Nov 10 2004, 04:01 PM)
Hype kills, i didnt read a sentence about Halo2 prerelease and I think its great. True, the XBL is a little wierd, and the story is not what I expected, but I am far far far from dissapointed.  I bet you vould sell your used copies of Halo2 on eBay for $50 to a kid who really wishes he preordered it right now.

try 100$ for the LE version unopened  <

xfoofoo

• Archived User
Halo 2 Now Official
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004, 10:47:00 AM »

QUOTE (iwannadie @ Nov 10 2004, 06:02 PM)
try 100$ for the LE version unopened

I don't know which state you're in, but we have tons of copies lying around in local stores. Regular and collector's edition.
Anyway bungie is not bungie anymore, it's just another group of M$. Whatever they do, the goal is to make the most profit for M$ and they did pretty well of robbing our hard earned cash this time(heard $100M sell first day).   <

FreakInvasion

• Archived User
Halo 2 Now Official
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2004, 10:20:00 AM »

I know no one but myself made it off Halo1 so where did sarge come from and that covenant dude. Now don't get me wrong sarge was a cool guy but dead is dead, and I saw him blow up while hugging a covenant.

This is a new guy. As readers of the book would know, Halo doesn't end where Halo 2 starts. Here is what happens between where Halo 1 lets off and where Halo 2 begins (http://www.gamedaily...&article_id=388):

They return to the ship and start the detonation sequence, but Guilty Spark teleports in to shut it down. Master Chief is forced to manually destroy parts of the engine to destabilize the reactor and cause an explosion. With only minutes left before the ship explodes, Master Chief makes a mad dash into a fighter plane parked in one of the docking bays and escapes just in time as The Pillar of Autumn detonates and Halo is destroyed.

Back out in space, Master Chief discovers a handful of human survivors in another ship as well as a small group of Covenant ships. They land inside the landing bay of a Covenant ship and capture it so that they can take advantage of its Slipspace abilities (similar to warp speed in Star Trek or hyperspace in Star Wars) and return home. Cortana assists them in their mission by entering the Covenant network and keeping track of the enemy locations. However, she notices that she had copied so much information about the history of Halo from the Halo network that she's a bit sluggish.

Once they have control of the ship, Cortana is amazed at the superior Slipspace technology the Covenant possess that allows them to maneuver through space with pinpoint accuracy. The rest of the crew wants to return to Earth and share the discovery, but Master Chief wants to return to Reach and salvage serviceable UNSC craft. Secretly however, he hopes to find a few of his Spartan teammates on the ground still alive.

What Master Chief doesn't know is that five of his Spartans are still alive. Normally, when the Covenant destroy a world from space, they bombard every square centimeter of the surface. However, this time the destruction wasn't total, and the Covenant neglected to bomb the area around a human facility located deep within a mountain. Instead, they send an army of forces to converge on the mountain. The team of Spartans manages to make their way into the facility and is reunited with Dr. Halsey.

Inside the abandoned facility, Dr. Halsey works on healing the Spartans' wounds and hacks into the network to discover that the markings on the rock stolen from Cote d'Azur also pinpoint their current location. As the Covenant begin digging into the mountain to unearth the facility, Dr. Halsey and the Spartans retreat into old mine tunnels deeper into the mountain, searching for a way out as well as anything that might give a clue about why the Covenants are so interested in this place. They stumble into an ancient, circular room, stretching more than 3 kilometers in diameter. In the center is a crystal floating above a pedestal, which the humans take just as the ceiling opens up and Covenant forces storm in.

Back in space, as the stolen Covenant ship comes out of Slipspace and approaches Reach, the crew can see that a small square of land had been saved from bombardment. Hearing a signal known only to the Spartans being transmitted repeatedly, Master Chief is convinced that some Spartans are still alive and is determined to drop down to the surface. He and a handful of Marines take a drop ship down to the source of the signal and are reunited with a handful of Spartans hiding from the Covenant. They set out on a mission to reach the base of the nearby mountain and are reunited with the other Spartan team. What Master Chief sees is nearly jaw-dropping. The entire three kilometer wide cavern is packed full of snarling Covenant forces, holding their fire because Dr. Halsey is holding the crystal in her hand.

Aboard the stolen Covenant ship, Cortana isn't pleased with how her thinking has slowed down and she decides to use a Covenant AI replication program she found to duplicate herself and free up some memory. But after the process, she realizes that she can now perfectly understand the Covenant language and discovers with horror that the Covenant have discovered the location of Earth and are preparing to launch a massive operation.

As the Spartans and the other humans attempt to flee from Reach and the massive Covenant army in a drop ship, Covenant space ships surround them. Cortana takes over a nearby UNSC ship and rescues them from certain defeat. As they attempt to jump into Slipspace, the mysterious crystal twists shape and space becomes distorted. They manage to escape the Covenant, and Dr. Halsey concludes that the crystal can not only bend space, but time as well. Cortana discovers that the Covenant will rendezvous at a command station called Unyielding Hierophant before attacking Earth. The Spartans decide to launch a first strike at the Covenant there and delay the invasion of Earth.

Meanwhile, Dr. Halsey effectively destroys the crystal so that the Covenant can't ever get their hands on it. Throughout her entire life, she has always felt guilty for her role in the illegal kidnappings to start the SPARTAN program and the lives she essentially forced the kids to adopt. She finally repents and takes Kelly, one of the injured Spartans, to fly off secretly on a mission of her own without telling anyone.

Before the Spartans leave on their mission to attack the Unyielding Hierophant, Cortana uploads a copy of herself to Master Chief. When the Spartans land at the Covenant command station, they are astonished at the hundreds of ships docked at the station. Master Chief links Cortana to the station network so that she can help shut down security and tell them where to go, but as the mission wears on, she becomes overwhelmed by the Covenant AI and is forced to replicate hundreds of times just to continue communication with Master Chief. All the Cortana copies are fragmented and eventually unravel.

Luckily Master Chief and his team are able to set explosives on the central reactor and make their escape as the entire station explodes, virtually destroying the armada. The Covenant have suffered a big defeat, but Master Chief and company have only delayed the inevitable Covenant invasion of Earth...

And as for playing as a covenant, that was pretty surprising but fun none-the-less. It gives an important look into what being a covenant is really like. I didn't expect it, but I did enjoy it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4