xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Rrod Question  (Read 262 times)

pepito01226

• Archived User
Rrod Question
« on: September 15, 2013, 12:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(bzowk @ Sep 14 2013, 05:15 PM) View Post

Hey All -

So I've got an XBOX 360 which I've always had trouble with.  About a year ago, I took it to a guy I found on Craigslist who fixes them who has many tools I don't have.  He basically bolted both major heat sinks to the motherboard (8 bolts total) and also used another tool to redo the solder points.

After taking my drive out a couple of days ago to flash it so I could update the dashboard, the bos started freezing mid-game and now am getting RROD again.  I have tried fixing it myself doing the below steps but canoot get it working.  What am I missing???

1. Opened XBox & took completely apart
2. Found that 8 bolts were really loose so tightened them back up but not too much
3. Reassembled - still nogo
4. Bought some thermal paste (Artic Silver 5) from RS today
5. Cleaned existing thermal paste from GPU / CPU
6. Applied about credit card thin amount to each processor then re-attached heat sinks.  I used a plastic and metal washer on each side of motherboard for bolts with plastic ones touching board.

After all of that, still get RROD upon start-up.  What can I try or what have I done incorrectly?
Thanks!

Is it a 4 ring or a 3 ring?

You might want to look up the hidden error code to determine what really could be the issue/

to find the error code, press sync button and hold it while pressing the disc drive eject button on the console.

each light set represent a number

1 light flashing -1
2 light flashing -2
3 light flashing -3
4 light flashing -0

There is 4 sequence of numbers.

Example: 0-0-0-1

after you write down the error code, look it up on this link as a secondary error code.

After you find the cause of the issue you can post it on your thread or look up a how to video on repairing the issue.

bzowk

• Archived User
Rrod Question
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »

Good morning -

Yes, I actually did that this morning and was going to this post to add the info...

I found out that the code was "0022" which is a GPU error.  I took the box back apart, removed the GPU heatsink, cleaned the paste off as well as I could, reapplied it (Artic Silver #5), reattached the heatsink, and tried it again.  The bad news is that it didn't help - still get RROD & 0022.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

Ohh - couple more questions, too, please...

1.  Found a few guides which suggest after applying new thermal paste to power up xbox without fan reinstalled for a few minutes until box overheats and just x2 lights flash.  This supposedly "bakes" the heatsinks in place.  After that, they say let it cool then it should work.  Scared that may do more harm than good.  Thoughts?

2.  Worst case I will have to go buy a new one from Best Buy.  Assume they don't sell boxes anymore in which my existing Samsung M28 will fit into as I am sure the new ones are all slim.  Is that correct?  If so and assuming my Best Buy is selling only the latest models, are the newest drives flashable?  If so, are they the ones which require the purchase of a probe or additional hardware to be able to flash?

Thanks Guys!

pepito01226

• Archived User
Rrod Question
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(bzowk @ Sep 15 2013, 01:10 PM) View Post

Good morning -

Yes, I actually did that this morning and was going to this post to add the info...

I found out that the code was "0022" which is a GPU error.  

1.  Found a few guides which suggest after applying new thermal paste to power up xbox without fan reinstalled for a few minutes until box overheats and just x2 lights flash.  This supposedly "bakes" the heatsinks in place.  After that, they say let it cool then it should work.  Scared that may do more harm than good.  Thoughts?

2.  Worst case I will have to go buy a new one from Best Buy.  Assume they don't sell boxes anymore in which my existing Samsung M28 will fit into as I am sure the new ones are all slim.  Is that correct?  If so and assuming my Best Buy is selling only the latest models, are the newest drives flashable?  If so, are they the ones which require the purchase of a probe or additional hardware to be able to flash?

Thanks Guys!

Hmmm 0022 is a short near the GPU or the HANA chipset. Could also mean a cold solder joint under the GPU/Hana which tends to happen under this old model for prolong use. I have read rarely its actually a CPU issue only seen it twice.

to answer your question.

1. I actually have done this method of fixing GPU reflow. It is a safer way than other method which includes passing a heat gun over the entire of the back of the board and then flipping it over and going over the area over the GPU/CPU without going over any of the capacitor (long tubes sticking out).

If you do this method leave your xbox 360 running for 30 to 45 minute, Do not worry as long as you have the heat sink over the GPU everything will be fine and have the fan over the CPU. After said time of 30 to 45 minute shut it down and unplug the system (this well prevent anyone accidently returning on the console). Determining how cool of a room you have leave it alone for 20 to 50 minute. You need the heatsink to be room temperature. Then recheck your bolt to see if its tight enough but not to tight. I personally tighten it to a point where they tend not to move, I check the board also, you want to prevent the board from curving this would mean you have the screw on way to tight. (BE WARN THIS METHOD IS NOT A FULL FIX IT WILL OR CAN HAPPEN AGAIN)

2. Yes best buy does sell newer model since Microsoft discontinued the old fat model xbox for the new slim version xbox. They are hackable but not like the old model, you can only RGH (glitch) which is the same as jtag. They will require tools but determining on the type of board in the xbox will determine the tools you need. Since they only have two different type of slim the board type are: Trinity and Corona (Corona can come in 4gb slim).

I would suggest if I were you to go to a gamestop. They still sell both model fat and slim used. I would go with used for cost saving. That way when or if something happens and the board fries you won't feel like you lost a lot of money on a new console.

bzowk

• Archived User
Rrod Question
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »

Thanks so much for all the info!

I read it and here's my plan based off how I interpreted it.  Please tell me if it's correct...

Starting steps below with XBOX partially disassembled but heatsinks are on and bolted (hand tight), fans plugged in, drive plugged in, and fan shroud on.

1. Plugged in xbox (in state above) - getting RROD
2. Leaving on and at RROD for 30-45 minutes
3. Turn off after that 30-45 minutes and unplug power
4. Leave alone for at least an hour to let it return to room temp (~70 degrees F)
5. Carefully disassemble completely and check bolts are still secure but not warping board
6. Reassemble (not completely, but to point it was in above)
7. Turn on and see if works

If it doesn't work...
8. Repeat process again?
9. Search craigslist
10. Check local gamespot inventory

That about it?  Hope so as I have been on step 2 for ~15 minutes.  Thanks again!

pepito01226

• Archived User
Rrod Question
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(bzowk @ Sep 15 2013, 03:27 PM) View Post

Thanks so much for all the info!

I read it and here's my plan based off how I interpreted it.  Please tell me if it's correct...

Starting steps below with XBOX partially disassembled but heatsinks are on and bolted (hand tight), fans plugged in, drive plugged in, and fan shroud on.

1. Plugged in xbox (in state above) - getting RROD
2. Leaving on and at RROD for 30-45 minutes
3. Turn off after that 30-45 minutes and unplug power
4. Leave alone for at least an hour to let it return to room temp (~70 degrees F)
5. Carefully disassemble completely and check bolts are still secure but not warping board
6. Reassemble (not completely, but to point it was in above)
7. Turn on and see if works

If it doesn't work...
8. Repeat process again?
9. Search craigslist
10. Check local gamespot inventory

That about it?  Hope so as I have been on step 2 for ~15 minutes.  Thanks again!

5. not necessary as long as you have good thermal grease
6. check tightness of bolts make sure its tight but not to tight that the board flex.
7. turn on and check make sure you have everything connected to the xbox. If its green light then you did it

If it doesn't work..
8a. Repeat process from 2 on
8b. not working still take a heat gun and go over the HANA chipset as show in this Image

if all fails

check your local gamestop

you could trade in that xbox and get possible store credit for it that can go for another xbox

craiglist or ebay if possible also

bzowk

• Archived User
Rrod Question
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »

OK - will try that - thanks.

In the meantime, I went and bought a used console at GameStop.  I got an older, white phat model like what i had before.  In fact, it's a bit older I think.

Anyways, I brought it home, hooked up my HDD to it, updated the dash to the newest version, swapped the dVD drive out with my flashed Samsung m28, and loaded up a game (offline).

I was happy when I saw "Play Game", but it doesn't play the game.  If I go to game details, it shows a picture of an Angry Bird.  Should I have updated the dash with my Sammy in it?  What did I do now?

PS - My original console with Sammy should have been flashed to newest dash as well

Thanks...

One more thing...

Looked to see if I could just flash the drive in my "new" box, but it's a Lite-On and from what I've read the process may need additional hardware (probe) and is more intensive...  That correct?

pepito01226

• Archived User
Rrod Question
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(bzowk @ Sep 15 2013, 06:59 PM) View Post

OK - will try that - thanks.

In the meantime, I went and bought a used console at GameStop.  I got an older, white phat model like what i had before.  In fact, it's a bit older I think.

Anyways, I brought it home, hooked up my HDD to it, updated the dash to the newest version, swapped the dVD drive out with my flashed Samsung m28, and loaded up a game (offline).

I was happy when I saw "Play Game", but it doesn't play the game.  If I go to game details, it shows a picture of an Angry Bird.  Should I have updated the dash with my Sammy in it?  What did I do now?

PS - My original console with Sammy should have been flashed to newest dash as well

Thanks...

One more thing...

Looked to see if I could just flash the drive in my "new" box, but it's a Lite-On and from what I've read the process may need additional hardware (probe) and is more intensive...  That correct?

Well glad to hear you got a used one just in case the xbox failed to work.

Hmmm Okie did you extract the key from the original optical drive that came with the xbox and flashed it to your flashed sammy?

Most people forget or they do not know this but the optical drive (dvd drive) are locked to each xbox360 console. Without extracting the key from the optical drive you really won't be able to play the game. It should say something similar to "please insert game disc into disc drive in the console and not the external HD-dvd drive".

And yes you would need to buy a probe plus other tools for lite-on disc drive.