xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Spring Vs Nylon Washers.  (Read 206 times)

theEVOL1

• Archived User
Spring Vs Nylon Washers.
« on: August 23, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(Siy @ Aug 21 2013, 07:39 PM) View Post

Sup guys.

I've ordered two sets of washers for the X clamp fix I'm about to do on a broken machine I have but I can't figure out which washers to use.

I've read that nylon are better because they don't cause shorts etc but I've also read that springs are better for other reasons.

What is your guys take, which should I use?

I could sit here and tell you not to do the washer fix at all, but I doubt you'll even listen. Nobody ever listens, so I'll just answer the question at hand.

Don't use spring washers. They will just dig into your motherboard and cause your bolts to anchor in at an angle. Spring washers are made to be used on hard and solid surfaces that have a lot of vibration to keep bolts and nuts from rattling loose. This is not the right application for them and you do not need the added tension they create.

gamestationohio

• Archived User
Spring Vs Nylon Washers.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »

Just use metal washers, 2 of them.

Who ever started the idea that plastic washer stop shorts is totally wrong, and those that has continued to parrot this are maybe even less informed...

The mobo has copper grounding on both sides of the heatsink holes and also through the hole... impossible to insulate the bolt and screws... simple...

So plastic washers are stupid to use, they deform from heat and pressure...

pepito01226

• Archived User
Spring Vs Nylon Washers.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »

spring washer will distory the ground plate on the board.

I think the washer and bolt is a good fix but if over tighten can bow the board which is what you want to avoid.

I think the better is to use this Stud xmod.

It only works on the old phat xbox 360 models.

gamestationohio

• Archived User
Spring Vs Nylon Washers.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »

Use the bolts, they work as good or better than the threaded standoffs. I use t make those myself 3 years ago and fold no advantage to them. Washers on one side only or bolts will be touching the shell and bending the board.